EVGA

re-installing xp on dell xps 400

Author
bosko
  • Total Posts : 14
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2010/11/28 08:22:27 (permalink)
This problem is not on a evga related system. Hopefully someone can help.
I am having no success in re-installing windows xp on a friends 2005 Dell Dimension XPS 400.
He had said his system would not boot into windows, he forgot the actual message it gave.
I wiped the hard drive to try a new install. First booted into the F12 boot from cd menu,
tried his Dell reinstallation disk, but nothing, no messages etc. Tried another window xp
disk (with sp3), same, and even tried windows 7. Windows 7 started, after about 1 minute it requested
a driver for the CD? but no details.
I checked the settings in the bios for any glaring problems, but everything seems fine for
his rig as set. I exchanged the DVD player, same result. Both dvd work in his machine as I
booted the utility to wipe the hard drive. I cannot get any XP operating system to start.
the systems is equipped:
2 DVD drives
1 160 GB WD SATA harddrive
1 gid dram2
1 peg video card
at this point, I inclined to feel it might be the motherboard, but any suggestions would
be helpful.

8 Replies Related Threads

VistaHead
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 9357
    • Ribbons : 132
    Re:re-installing xp on dell xps 400 2010/11/28 08:33:41 (permalink)
    Have you tested the hard drive with the bootable WD diagnostic utility?  Have you tried it with only one DVD drive connected?  What software program did you wipe the drive with?  I recommend DBAN.
    http://www.dban.org/download

bosko
    • Total Posts : 14
    Re:re-installing xp on dell xps 400 2010/12/06 13:09:50 (permalink)
    to bump this, I had wiped the hard drive with dban. I realize I also wiped the ability to restore the Dell image on it's hidden partition. I tried the DSRfix utility, it reported fatal error. I ran the utility cd from dell and scanned the hardware, all o.k. All I want to do to this POS crap-ola think is to install windows xp as I have countless times before on many systems. I have tried xp with sp3 and sata slipstreamed etc, cannot boot them. The cd will boot others such as dsrfix etc. I am ready to have my friend pick up this dell as I have invested too much time in it. Any suggestions how to install, I do not know what dell has going on in the bios or what?

I7-965EE
    EVGA E758
    6GB Corsair Dominator DDR3 1600
    EVGA 280 GPU
    WD VelociRaptor 300GB
    WD Black Caviar 500GB
    Corsair 1000HX PSU
    Coolermaster V8 CPU Cooler
    creative x-fi extreme gamer pci sound card
    Win 7 64 bit professional
    BIOS SZ1G
    david12857
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 879
    • Ribbons : 33
    Re:re-installing xp on dell xps 400 2010/12/06 22:39:53 (permalink)
    These problems are difficult to troubleshoot remotely.  What type of DVD and HD are you using? Are they both SATA, IDE or mixed?

Disconnect one of the DVD drives. Try the second drive if the first fails but ensure only one is connected at a time. 

Clear the CMOS using the BIOS CMOS Defaults setting, jumpers on the motherboard, or removing the battery.

Start the PC and verify the drives (1 HD & 1 DVD drive) have been detected correctly in the BIOS.

Ensure the Boot Sequence is correct in the BIOS or Press F12 to enter the Boot Device Menu and verify the system will still start with DBAN or a live CD (I use Ubuntu). Restart if it works and try the XP CD. Press a key when "Press any key to boot CD" is displayed and it should begin to load files that are needed to begin the installation.

You might need to download the SATA Drivers (Intel – Driver on Dell’s website), Extract the driver files to a floppy drive, and use the press F6 to install a third party SCSI or RAID driver option. Changing the SATA Operation in the BIOS might help… or make things worse. The defaults should be fine after clearing the CMOS. 

post edited by david12857 - 2010/12/06 22:43:33

Main system | HTPC | Folding&Crunching@EVGA
    patchesanook
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3903
    • Ribbons : 9
    Re:re-installing xp on dell xps 400 2010/12/06 22:44:03 (permalink)
    did you go into bios and select boot from cdrom.

patchesanook
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3903
    • Ribbons : 9
    Re:re-installing xp on dell xps 400 2010/12/06 22:48:24 (permalink)
    hoot,pull battery  from mb unhook power cord push power button while unplugged.put battery back start pc in bios select defaults and boot from cdrom

Crusheddream
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1985
    • Ribbons : 12
    Re:re-installing xp on dell xps 400 2010/12/06 23:18:57 (permalink)
    I owned a XPS 400 for a while want some sound advice take it outside get a shotgun and blast away and never buy a dell again.

On a side note may want to check the BIOS settings they are weird to say the least set it to RAID/AHCI mode or RAID/IDE also they did a BIOS update on those a few years back to fix some issues may want to look into that if all else fails refer to first suggestion :)

cactuspwr
    • Total Posts : 20
    Re:re-installing xp on dell xps 400 2010/12/30 22:23:24 (permalink)
    I have a Dell XPS 410. Probably, the bios boot the operating system via the HD.  You should in the bios (F12) and check  as first choice te CD drive.  Don't forget to reselection the HD as #1 when everything will be done.

Dell XPS 410,
    Core2Quad Q6700,
    4g DMMR2,
    EVGA 460GTX 1G SC EE,
    OCZ ModXStream 600W PSU,
    500G HD 7500RPM
    Windows 7 Pro - 64 bits
    Dell 1907 19" 1280x1024 digital screen.
    ZROCKMAN
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 349
    • Ribbons : 14
    Re:re-installing xp on dell xps 400 2011/01/03 04:34:52 (permalink)
    bosko :  Remove the HD , and format it with another XP machine ( DO NOT LOAD WINXP ).  Re-install the HD  on the original machine ( PROCEED TO LOAD WINDOWS ) with only 1 DVD ROM Drive.  Make certain that the bios recognizes the HD , as Master or on it's own with the DVD Rom Drive as Slave or on it's own.  ( Check the DVD jumper pin locations are set to : Slave )  &  ( Check the HD jumper pin locations are set to : Master ) 
    Dell / HP and others have their own OS Disks , which the mobo will search for automatically (if the HD is formatted using the same mobo/HD combination) because the processors are commanded to do so in files contained on their Operating System Disks [who's contents include WinXP OS's] - but not find , [ if the original OS Disk is not in the DVD Rom Drive and used to do a full format of the HD ] , when the offending machine formats the HD as a result  (without the original OS Disk ) -  it doesn't remove the restore files on the HD through the WinXP OS alone , completely.   You have to bypass the original OS Disk programming by removing any original command files from the HD before the mobo will allow it to load a WinXP OS from a WinXP OS Disk alone.  You will receive a message at Post referring to this occurence being the case after a successful bypass of such files.   Such as : HP processor not located , replace processor with HP processor. (Wait at Posting Sequence for the system to revert or bypass).   The bottom of the Post screen will allow you to press F9 or F1 to proceed when the original command files are missing. (Thus you have bypassed the original OS Disk commands).

Confirm DVD Rom read capability with any OS Disk.  Insert WinXP OS Disk :  Set the bios sequence order with DVD as first boot device and press the "esc" key after you save and exit bios - upon repost.  Enter the boot manager screen and make certain that the DVD & HD identifications appear the same across all entry areas (note the HD #) is the same , and the DVD # is the same - ( HD may not be registering correctly : if # is odd or not the same - format HD with earlier version of Windows prior as above ) , and select that you want the DVD to be the first boot device. ( set : boot.exe : by pressing Enter Key ).
    Choose boot from CD at Post , after using the available F-revert keys that get you to the "boot from CD" sequence and load WinXP.

If this doesn't work , set the DVD jumper pins to : Master /  & HD jumper pins to : Slave & repeat.  (Incomplete bypass / startup bios configuration)  All the while , read and respond to any messages or prompts during these attempts.  Reset the bios configuration if not done by the WinXP OS Disk by itself to reflect that you want the HD as the first boot device , and you could even change the DVD and HD pin allocations to reflect whether they are recognized as either Master or Slave respectfully.  If the system boots up into the Windows desktop , it is not a requirement that the DVD is a Slave or a Master or the HD is a Slave or a Master , as there will only be (1) boot first device allowed throughout the system.  It is recommended , since it had taken alot of time or effort to reach a normal boot and restart capability - to leave the system as set by the WinXP installation.  Removing the possibility of any further difficulty of booting or restarting occuring.

PS.  Any mobo that was programmed through the use of manufacturer OS Disks/HD configurations (private labelled) , will require that the HD is cleared by most other brands of mobo's or it's originator OS Disk , rather than through the WinXP OS itself - just like any software program you load online or otherwise.  Because the combination of mobo & OS Disk is critically tied to formatting.  Hotkeys are also a part of that programming - meaning that the (F) [Function Keys] are also set to respond accordingly to the programmer or it's programming.  So ...  the bios or boot manager may be accessable by different F- Hotkey stipulations as a result.  When searching for these Hotkeys :  just press each (1) from F1 to F12 until you find out which ones are which during a NON-Windows OS search , and "esc" during a Windows installation or search.  Just like when you enter bios , each mobo manufacturer can have a different key set to be pressed to enter the bios.  There are even mobo's that will respond to "any" key on the keyboard as a HotKey for a variety of functions.
    If it's not Genuine Windows by itself - it's been altered by the manufacturers.

post edited by ZROCKMAN - 2011/01/03 06:03:47
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile