EVGA

Helpful Replyrecommended solution for overseas cell phone usage?

Author
flyinion
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 2275
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 8
2019/04/22 14:36:23 (permalink)
Figure I'd throw this out there and see if anyone has some good suggestions.  We're going to be taking a 3 week vacation in Ireland (not Northern Ireland aka UK, but "actual" Ireland) in the fall and trying to figure out the best solution for cell usage.  We currently have AT&T model iPhone X's.  My wife found some stuff about rentable wifi hotspots, and AT&T has some addon plans.  Then I know there's things like just buying a pre-paid sim card over there and running that.  Mostly the phone side would just be for emergency purposes so it's more about finding wi-fi/cell connection for some data usage.  Anyone have any suggestions?  Phone were bought direct through Apple on their upgrade program so they should be unlocked.  They just don't have CDMA radios but that area is GSM anyway.

AMD Ryzen 5950X | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 w/EK Vector2 | GSkill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB DDR4-3600 | WD SN850 2TB | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB & 860 Evo 2TB | Phanteks Enthoo 719 | Seasonic Prime Ultra Gold 1000W | Steelseries M750 TKL | SteelSeries Prime Wireless | SteelSeries Arctis Pro + GameDAC | Kanto YU2 + Yamaha sub | Schiit Magni 2 Uber & Modi 2 Uber | LG 34GN850 | Asus PG279Q | Win 11 Pro | Custom water loop
bcavnaugh
The Crunchinator
  • Total Posts : 38977
  • Ribbons : 282
Re: recommended solution for overseas cell phone usage? 2019/04/22 14:40:59 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby flyinion 2019/04/22 15:56:47
Get a SIM Card for your Location. Link
post edited by bcavnaugh - 2019/04/22 14:44:31

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

flyinion
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: recommended solution for overseas cell phone usage? 2019/04/22 15:48:59 (permalink)
bcavnaugh
Get a SIM Card for your Location. Link

Thanks, that's what I was thinking.  We could just use VOIP apps for "phone" stuff to/from the US.

AMD Ryzen 5950X | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 w/EK Vector2 | GSkill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB DDR4-3600 | WD SN850 2TB | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB & 860 Evo 2TB | Phanteks Enthoo 719 | Seasonic Prime Ultra Gold 1000W | Steelseries M750 TKL | SteelSeries Prime Wireless | SteelSeries Arctis Pro + GameDAC | Kanto YU2 + Yamaha sub | Schiit Magni 2 Uber & Modi 2 Uber | LG 34GN850 | Asus PG279Q | Win 11 Pro | Custom water loop
ty_ger07
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 21173
  • Ribbons : 270
Re: recommended solution for overseas cell phone usage? 2019/04/23 04:17:16 (permalink)
T-Mobile is a big player internationally. I know you are trying to avoid buying temporary phones or plans, but if you do, make sure that you consider T-Mobile. Having a T-Mobile number also gives you free wifi and messaging (1 hour of free wifi general data for any use [except video streaming] and then after that free hour, general web usage is disabled but messaging such as facebook messenger, whatsapp, etc. continue to work for the remainder of the flight for free) on long international Gogo-enabled flights (Delta for example).

I worked overseas for a year, traveled through Europe many times, and had a company-purchased AT&T phone. I was continually jealous of coworkers' T-mobile service. So much so, that I would use their T-Mobile phone number to get the free 1-hour inflight WiFi and whatsapp messaging for the duration of my long international flights.

If you find yourself traveling increasingly internationally, there is more and more benefit to switching from AT&T to T-Mobile. If I was paying my own bill, I would have.

Just my opinion. Buying spare phones, plans, SIM cards, or hotspots may not be the best thing for you, but make sure that you consider T-Mobile.

Another thing to consider, if you start finding yourself doing a lot of international traveling, is buying a dual-SIM phone. But, that isn't very important if you get cell service from a company with good international coverage. Like I said, T-Mobile man. It works everywhere. US, on the flight using Gogo, Paris, Amsterdam, anywhere Europe, Dubai, Kabul, flying around from base to base in Afghanistan, in any city from the top to the bottom of India, Thailand, ...., my coworkers used it everywhere. .... and I just watched in jealousy.
post edited by ty_ger07 - 2019/04/23 04:38:17

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

flyinion
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: recommended solution for overseas cell phone usage? 2019/04/23 09:41:30 (permalink)
ty_ger07
T-Mobile is a big player internationally. I know you are trying to avoid buying temporary phones or plans, but if you do, make sure that you consider T-Mobile. Having a T-Mobile number also gives you free wifi and messaging (1 hour of free wifi general data for any use [except video streaming] and then after that free hour, general web usage is disabled but messaging such as facebook messenger, whatsapp, etc. continue to work for the remainder of the flight for free) on long international Gogo-enabled flights (Delta for example).

I worked overseas for a year, traveled through Europe many times, and had a company-purchased AT&T phone. I was continually jealous of coworkers' T-mobile service. So much so, that I would use their T-Mobile phone number to get the free 1-hour inflight WiFi and whatsapp messaging for the duration of my long international flights.

If you find yourself traveling increasingly internationally, there is more and more benefit to switching from AT&T to T-Mobile. If I was paying my own bill, I would have.

Just my opinion. Buying spare phones, plans, SIM cards, or hotspots may not be the best thing for you, but make sure that you consider T-Mobile.

Another thing to consider, if you start finding yourself doing a lot of international traveling, is buying a dual-SIM phone. But, that isn't very important if you get cell service from a company with good international coverage. Like I said, T-Mobile man. It works everywhere. US, on the flight using Gogo, Paris, Amsterdam, anywhere Europe, Dubai, Kabul, flying around from base to base in Afghanistan, in any city from the top to the bottom of India, Thailand, ...., my coworkers used it everywhere. .... and I just watched in jealousy.

Hmmm I'm not worried about the flight itself, but you're saying T-Mobile works over in country as well?  I know AT&T has plans also that do that, they're like $60 a line though when my wife looked (I may have misunderstood her).  We probably won't travel that much though, maybe once a year or more like every few overseas.  She's from Ireland but hasn't been back since we went just after we starting dating back in 2009.  Although, that was kind of an unplanned length of time.

bcavnaugh
The Crunchinator
  • Total Posts : 38977
  • Ribbons : 282
Re: recommended solution for overseas cell phone usage? 2019/04/23 10:53:55 (permalink)
AT&T wants $75 alone for Germany.

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

ty_ger07
Insert Custom Title Here
Re: recommended solution for overseas cell phone usage? 2019/04/24 05:20:03 (permalink)
flyinion
ty_ger07

Hmmm I'm not worried about the flight itself, but you're saying T-Mobile works over in country as well?  I know AT&T has plans also that do that, they're like $60 a line though when my wife looked (I may have misunderstood her).  We probably won't travel that much though, maybe once a year or more like every few overseas.  She's from Ireland but hasn't been back since we went just after we starting dating back in 2009.  Although, that was kind of an unplanned length of time.

My understanding is that international coverage in 210+ countries is part of the T-mobile One plan at no extra charge. I believe that the T-mobile One plan is $10 more per month than the T-mobile basic ("Essentials") plan. My understanding is that you can choose to pay $15 more per month for the T-Mobile One Plus plan if you want faster international data, but that is optional.

Verizon's and AT&T's international data fees are a huge jump in price in comparison. That is why when I traveled to Europe for work -- in the past with Verizon, more recently with AT&T -- I didn't have any international coverage and had no cell service for a month at a time while my work mates with T-mobile made me jealous.

https://www.tomsguide.com...s-plan,news-27744.html

T-Mobile One
$70 per line
Unlimited talk, text and 5GB of LTE data in Mexico & Canada; unlimited texting and data (2G) in 210+ countries

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium

transdogmifier
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 6116
  • Ribbons : 17
Re: recommended solution for overseas cell phone usage? 2019/04/24 05:36:37 (permalink)
flyinion
ty_ger07

I have used Tmobile in Japan...as I recall it wasn't bad if it was an emergency (voice calling...20 cents a minute??) ...and I get like...1 GB free data..

if I recall correctly..but I still got a WiFi Hotspot...since I was uploading pictures and stuff...I didn't see the need for a SIM card but I could have done that there too.

AMD Ryzen 7900x3d
Deepcool LT720
Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X670 (Might change..don't like this board)
eVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming (Hybrid kit on it)
Asus ROG Swift PG43UQ 4k Monitor
eVGA 1600W Supernova T2 PSU
32GB Kingston 6000 DDR5 (2x16GB) Fury
Corsair MP600 Pro 2TB (Boot)
Corsair MP600 2TB (Games/Data)
Phanteks P500A Case

ty_ger07
Insert Custom Title Here
Re: recommended solution for overseas cell phone usage? 2019/04/27 08:15:54 (permalink)
transdogmifier
I have used Tmobile in Japan...as I recall it wasn't bad if it was an emergency (voice calling...20 cents a minute??) ...and I get like...1 GB free data..

if I recall correctly..but I still got a WiFi Hotspot...since I was uploading pictures and stuff...I didn't see the need for a SIM card but I could have done that there too.

Your T-Mobile International data shouldn't have been limited to just 1 GB. It should have been unlimited. But, like you said, voice calling is extra at a per-minute basis. But with all of the VOIP options available (Facetime, Facebook, Skype, Whatsapp, Phone's built-in internet calling), paying per minute is very avoidable.

If I remember correctly, the T-mobile One plan is the same as the old "normal" T-Mobile plan which offers unlimited data in 210+ counties (restricted to 2G speed except for US, Canada, and Mexico). More recently, they added the T-mobile Essentials plan for a cheaper price which removes some international features, so I wouldn't recommend that plan for this discussion. The One Plus plan is an optional $15 extra to bump up the 2G international data restriction up to a faster speed.

It should all be pretty well explained in the link I provided above; with comparisons to AT&T and Verizon (which, from personal experience, do not compare). For the same price of AT&T and Verizon, T-Mobile offers much better international support. To get T-Mobile's level of international support added to an AT&T or Verizon plan, AT&T's and Verizon's plan price nearly doubles. The choice is obvious.
post edited by ty_ger07 - 2019/04/27 08:21:18

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile