miners earn 1/2 as much

Page: < 12345 > Showing page 3 of 5
Author
AmosBurton
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 103
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: miners earn 1/2 as much 2021/05/03 10:31:52 (permalink)
augiem
I honestly don't see how NVidia has any right to put rate limiting. Who are they to tell you what you can and can't do with the GPU compute hardware you bought? That's a bit like Intel trying to tell you video editing will run at half rate on Core i7 unless you buy the special "Video" edition. Not because the hardware can't do it, but because they flipped a bit somewhere in memory to prevent you from doing it. And worse yet, retroactively crippling your hardware through bios and driver updates. None of this is published on the box of the product you bought, and there's no way to differentiate cards with old firmware vs new. NVidia is the one who developed CUDA so people could do computing on the GPU. Now they want to control what you can and can't compute. I smell law suits coming.

There's no law saying manufacturers have to enable you to use a product the way you want to as well as you would like it to.

There's also no stipulation in the user agreement(that I'm aware of) that says you can't modify your own property to work the way you want it to.

Any lawsuit would fail miserably.
augiem
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 133
Re: miners earn 1/2 as much 2021/05/03 10:37:01 (permalink)
AmosBurton
augiem
I honestly don't see how NVidia has any right to put rate limiting. Who are they to tell you what you can and can't do with the GPU compute hardware you bought? That's a bit like Intel trying to tell you video editing will run at half rate on Core i7 unless you buy the special "Video" edition. Not because the hardware can't do it, but because they flipped a bit somewhere in memory to prevent you from doing it. And worse yet, retroactively crippling your hardware through bios and driver updates. None of this is published on the box of the product you bought, and there's no way to differentiate cards with old firmware vs new. NVidia is the one who developed CUDA so people could do computing on the GPU. Now they want to control what you can and can't compute. I smell law suits coming.

There's no law saying manufacturers have to enable you to use a product the way you want to as well as you would like it to.

There's also no stipulation in the user agreement(that I'm aware of) that says you can't modify your own property to work the way you want it to.

You can sue for any reason. Suing has nothing to do with someone breaking the law. If you can convince the court they deceived you by telling you you could use their CUDA compute API to do arbitrary compute on the GPU, then crippled your ability to use that feature they openly advertised because they saw opportunity for monetary gain by launching a new product line, yes, you could win. Apple was sued for "planned obsolescence" over battery gate and was forced to pay $113 million. Deceptive trade practices, bait and switch, take your pick. There are plenty of legal precedents a good lawyer could find that apply.

Elite referral code: 4K9A9Y8SSOIQXT039WV
25lboxer
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 119
Re: miners earn 1/2 as much 2021/05/03 10:54:26 (permalink)
Ethrem
25lboxer
I know very little about mining crypto but isn't there a positive correlation between he value of the crypto and how difficult it is to mine the currency or is it completely un-related? I've heard that it is becoming less and less profitable to mine these cryptocurrencies using GPUs. Purpose built ASICs will far out perform GPUs and if miners want to remain competitive they will have to start utilizing the ASIC miners instead of GPUs.  

My understanding is that the difficulty goes up as the network hash rate increases (and also goes down when it decreases) so under normal market circumstances you would be correct but since the hype train keeps sending the price higher, the value is outpacing the difficulty increase. The difficulty has gone up almost 60% in 90 days.

https://www.coinwarz.com/...ereum/difficulty-chart

ASIC miners may save us if the big mining farms jump on them but they’ll only save us from ETH and someone on reddit will hype the next coin that can be mined with a GPU and we will be right back where we started with an additional jump from all the new people attracted by the hype.

Honestly this doesn’t end until enough people lose a lot of money to deter others from taking the risk or some form of comprehensive regulation makes it not worth doing (and that’s going to need to include China so fat chance).

Thanks for the link.

60% is a pretty decent increase over the last 90 days. Let's hope it continues to increase at the same rate over the next 90 days. 

AmosBurton
Superclocked Member
Re: miners earn 1/2 as much 2021/05/03 11:01:48 (permalink)
augiem
AmosBurton
augiem

You can sue for any reason. Suing has nothing to do with someone breaking the law. If you can convince the court they deceived you by telling you you could use their CUDA compute API to do arbitrary compute on the GPU, then crippled your ability to use that feature they openly advertised because they saw opportunity for monetary gain by launching a new product line, yes, you could win. Apple was sued for "planned obsolescence" over battery gate and was forced to pay $113 million. Deceptive trade practices, bait and switch, take your pick. There are plenty of legal precedents a good lawyer could find that apply.

I could be wrong, but I don't think nvidia has ever advertised their gaming GPUs for crypto mining. If anything they've come out with mining-dedicated GPUs not suitable for gaming.

Sure, you can sue for whatever reason you want. But that doesn't mean you'll win.
Sahira
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 161
Re: miners earn 1/2 as much 2021/05/03 11:17:11 (permalink)
AmosBurton
augiem
AmosBurton
augiem

I could be wrong, but I don't think nvidia has ever advertised their gaming GPUs for crypto mining. If anything they've come out with mining-dedicated GPUs not suitable for gaming.

Sure, you can sue for whatever reason you want. But that doesn't mean you'll win.

I remember jacket man smiling at the camera and saying "this generation is a huge leap in efficiency compared to old one". Was all that miners needed to hear.
AmosBurton
Superclocked Member
Re: miners earn 1/2 as much 2021/05/03 11:30:44 (permalink)
Sahira
AmosBurton
augiem
AmosBurton
augiem

I remember jacket man smiling at the camera and saying "this generation is a huge leap in efficiency compared to old one". Was all that miners needed to hear.

Still a far cry from some kind of promise broken to the extent that it would be actionable.

Again, unless there's something in the user agreement that says that the limitations can't be bypassed, there's not much hope for a lawsuit. If they did that, they'd raise the ire of the right to repair folks, and they'd likely have a battle on their hands.
augiem
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 133
Re: miners earn 1/2 as much 2021/05/03 13:11:59 (permalink)
AmosBurton
Sahira
AmosBurton
augiem
AmosBurton
augiem

Still a far cry from some kind of promise broken to the extent that it would be actionable.

Again, unless there's something in the user agreement that says that the limitations can't be bypassed, there's not much hope for a lawsuit. If they did that, they'd raise the ire of the right to repair folks, and they'd likely have a battle on their hands.

No, not really. The promise they made is that you can use the GPU for compute. They never gave the public a list of authorized and unauthorized compute activities. They advertise compute, and now are not delivering that in the specific compute scenarios they suddenly decided to disallow. So now they will need to publish an "allowed compute activities" list. If GPUs were to be used only for graphics, they would never have developed CUDA.
post edited by augiem - 2021/05/03 13:13:42

Elite referral code: 4K9A9Y8SSOIQXT039WV
KO0IAID
  • Total Posts : 100
Re: miners earn 1/2 as much 2021/05/03 22:10:13 (permalink)
I believe that they can manufacture whatever kind of product that they want, and whether you choose to buy it or not, that's on you. For them it is foolish to not adapt, pivot, and cater to this emerging crypto market as that's where things are heading. Especially if they want to stay in the game, and stay an industry leader in this space.

I understand it sucks not getting our hands on cards, as I would like one too. However I also see all this nay saying wanting crypto to crash, just for a graphics card and I think that's wrong. This is a opportunity for us consumers to benefit, as they trying push boundaries and create better and newer technologies. Plus in a few years they'll be able to crank them out much faster, and probably cheaper.

I myself actually have a significant amount invested in crypto. Alot of people may not know much about it other than "crypto bad cause me no graphics card" while sitting there hoping it pops or goes down in flames just so they can play cyberpunk.. But it's a 2.25 trillion dollar industry now, that's almost twice the amount of actual physical usd there is. You'd better believe that with that amount of money invested It's not going to just go away. Infact, look at it now. It's actually become so significant it's actually been injected into your life. All types of crypto are being main stay adopted by businesses across the world because of what it can do, and the potential it has. Many coins serve many purposes, and can be very beneficial to you for personal reasons, economic reasons, and for our future. Especially considering the US and how we haved printed so much money our economy should have collapsed already. Infact alot of company's are investing because of the deflation going on.

That's my 2 cents.
post edited by KO0IAID - 2021/05/03 22:18:42
Zerhot
Re: miners earn 1/2 as much 2021/05/10 12:24:55 (permalink)
Which is good! Its meant for gamers
BrutalNative
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 128
Re: miners earn 1/2 as much 2021/05/10 12:36:17 (permalink)
Brad_Hawthorne
I remember a time back in 2010? when I setup a dozen parts machines mining bitcoin after being bored with BIONIC and SETI@Home then promptly forgot about all those Bitcoins and parted out all those machines after 6 months of mining. No idea where all those coins went. LUL

Oh man that's got to sting a little bit. It reminds me of the guy who accidently threw out a hard drive with 7500 BTC on it.
Simanick
Re: miners earn 1/2 as much 2021/05/10 12:40:44 (permalink)
Does this mean more availability of graphics cards for non-miners? (suspect not)
yuitachibana
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 120
Re: miners earn 1/2 as much 2021/05/11 07:09:55 (permalink)
isn't bitcoin only minable via Asics, so that doesn't really matter. But Ethereum price just has significantly increased recently so :( gamers

Desperately looking for a RTX 3080ti 

In the US queue for 
12G-P5-3969-KR 6/3/2021 7:43:44 AM PT No
12G-P5-3968-KR 6/3/2021 7:41:33 AM PT Yes
12G-P5-3967-KR 6/3/2021 7:26:43 AM PT Yes
BrutalNative
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 128
Re: miners earn 1/2 as much 2021/05/11 10:12:50 (permalink)
Newer cards are being released with low hash rates built in. Hopefully this deters some miners away.
evgafan#x
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 153
Re: miners earn 1/2 as much 2021/05/14 09:09:25 (permalink)
Everyone is excited about this mining limiter but it is just a mining limiter on the eth algorithm from all the research I have done. You can still pay off your cards mining something else and with ETH prices what they are at probably still most profitable to mine Eth still. Either way need a new card for gaming and will be mining to "pay off the card" and invest into up and coming crypto.

12G-P5-3953-KR 6/30/2021 6:32:05 AM PT Yes
08G-P5-3783-KL 6/30/2021 6:12:01 AM PT Yes
10G-P5-3899-KR 6/23/2021 6:00:46 AM PT Yes
08G-P5-3785-KL 6/15/2021 9:29:30 AM PT Yes
08G-P5-3797-KL 6/10/2021 6:49:14 AM PT Yes
Smiggie
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 109
Re: miners earn 1/2 as much 2021/05/14 13:17:17 (permalink)
Simanick
Does this mean more availability of graphics cards for non-miners? (suspect not)

Honestly I have no high hopes on this....
darklord2021
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 104
Re: miners earn 1/2 as much 2021/05/14 16:07:57 (permalink)
The real miner mine with ASIC miners, where the big bucks are being made. GPU mining is only profitable short term.
Moon2mine
  • Total Posts : 13
Re: miners earn 1/2 as much 2021/05/14 21:59:55 (permalink)
Now the IRS is coming for the miners. This may be enough to keep small scale new miners out.
ty_ger07
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 21171
  • Ribbons : 270
Re: miners earn 1/2 as much 2021/05/14 23:35:02 (permalink)
Moon2mine
Now the IRS is coming for the miners. This may be enough to keep small scale new miners out.

The IRS didn't previously? The IRS comes for anyone who lies on their taxes. The IRS was "coming for the miners" 5 years ago. The IRS was "coming for" every cheat since 150 years ago.

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

Hoggle
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 10101
  • Ribbons : 4
Re: miners earn 1/2 as much 2021/05/15 02:58:11 (permalink)
I agree that the IRS is always going to come after anyone that they can prove earned income and failed to report it. While people might thing digital currency isn't taxed because it's not recognized as a currency by the federal government they definitely would come after someone who made dollars off the sale of it the same way they would go after an art dealer who sold a painting. The painting they might not tax despite it having value but the sell of it becomes taxed earned income.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

nikazz1993
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 134
Re: miners earn 1/2 as much 2021/05/15 12:15:11 (permalink)
Having the mentality of (Foul Language deleted) miners" because of the current GPU shortage is incorrect I think, there's plenty of money to be made and it makes sense that people would be attracted to the prospect. On the other hand though, thinking that you can essentially print money without being taxed/regulated is very shortsighted. There is a future in digital currencies for sure, but it's not going to always stay as simple as "I'm keeping my computer on and it's making me $400 a month".
Just my opinion, I could be wrong.
post edited by XrayMan - 2021/05/16 21:13:32

Build in Progress:
CPU: Ryzen 9 5900x
GPU: RTX3080 or 3080ti  <----
Motherboard: Aorus Elite x570
RAM: 2x16GB (32GB) G.Skill Trident Z
PSU: NZXT C850 Gold
AIO: NZXT Kraken Z73 360mm
SSD: WD Black 1TB

Smiggie
Superclocked Member
Re: miners earn 1/2 as much 2021/05/15 13:52:30 (permalink)
There will be a time when mining for "normal people" will be no more profitable.

Unfortunately this time si non here yet, at all
supergamer86
Re: miners earn 1/2 as much 2021/05/15 14:33:11 (permalink)
Eth will not be possible to min soon in v2 and all other pow proof of work coins (old coins) will be minable but they will not be profit because all eth miners go move to it and increase the mining difficulty of those (Foul Language deleted) coins soon maby 6 month or less there will be many gpu i hope
post edited by XrayMan - 2021/05/16 21:14:29
D3_GX
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 102
Re: miners earn 1/2 as much 2021/05/15 14:39:56 (permalink)
Haha, nice. The only problem I have with mining is when people are ONLY doing that, I mean its waste of electricity but if your just doing it on your gaming pc when you're not using it its fine, What is not fine is the people buying 8 cards to mine eth
supergamer86
Re: miners earn 1/2 as much 2021/05/15 14:42:26 (permalink)
I agree , i have been waiting months to buy a card to play but i can’t find one
sunt88126
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 117
Re: miners earn 1/2 as much 2021/05/15 16:09:32 (permalink)
Bitcoin down.

24G-P5-3979-KR 6/23/2021 6:00:25 AM PT No
12G-P5-3959-KR 6/16/2021 2:46:56 PM PT No
24G-P5-3999-KR 6/15/2021 9:49:45 AM PT No
12G-P5-3967-KR 6/3/2021 8:39:16 AM PT No
Associate Code: 7AXD4LC8M4FVW4D
Zixinus
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 165
Re: miners earn 1/2 as much 2021/05/16 05:07:46 (permalink)
Bitcoin and Eth fluctuate up and down. Elon deciding that you can't pay with Bitcoin (or was it Eth?) for a Tesla anymore probably caused a dip. But there is too much moeny in it now for it to stop or crash.
TheDrDavid
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 106
Re: miners earn 1/2 as much 2021/05/16 10:22:44 (permalink)
At some point there could be a big crash, but it's hard to know when. Crypto market seems to be less predictable than regular financial markets.
evgafan#x
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 153
Re: miners earn 1/2 as much 2021/05/16 10:31:47 (permalink)

supergamer86
Eth will not be possible to min soon in v2 and all other pow proof of work coins (old coins) will be minable but they will not be profit because all eth miners go move to it and increase the mining difficulty of those (Deleted quoted Foul Language) coins soon maby 6 month or less there will be many gpu i hope

I don't know if this is entirely true. Miners moving over to other PoW projects will increase the security of those projects. Sure the difficulty will go up but awareness of viable PoW projects will also go up and possibly lead to price increases thus balancing it out somewhat.
post edited by XrayMan - 2021/05/16 21:12:10

12G-P5-3953-KR 6/30/2021 6:32:05 AM PT Yes
08G-P5-3783-KL 6/30/2021 6:12:01 AM PT Yes
10G-P5-3899-KR 6/23/2021 6:00:46 AM PT Yes
08G-P5-3785-KL 6/15/2021 9:29:30 AM PT Yes
08G-P5-3797-KL 6/10/2021 6:49:14 AM PT Yes
dark8812
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 102
Re: miners earn 1/2 as much 2021/05/16 10:42:52 (permalink)
still can't get my gpu ATM lol;
Smiggie
Superclocked Member
Re: miners earn 1/2 as much 2021/05/16 14:01:29 (permalink)
supergamer86
Eth will not be possible to min soon in v2 and all other pow proof of work coins (old coins) will be minable but they will not be profit because all eth miners go move to it and increase the mining difficulty of those (Deleted quoted Foul Language) coins soon maby 6 month or less there will be many gpu i hope

Hope you're right... But 6 month or less feels very optimistic
post edited by XrayMan - 2021/05/16 21:12:27
Page: < 12345 > Showing page 3 of 5
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile