• Software
  • Thinking About Linux? Then Read Here! (p.4)
2017/07/24 17:55:18
nontheist
Manjaro is worth checking out for all the gamers.  Comes with Steam already installed!
https://manjaro.org/

2018/02/08 19:15:09
GB_Longshanks
The new mint OS is awesome
2018/02/17 18:20:10
evgapcbuilds
Doesn’t running Windows game make it slower though? What are the benefits to Linux?
2018/02/17 18:48:24
ty_ger07
A Windows game needs Windows. You can run some Windows games in a virtual Windows environment or Windows emulator, but the performance is usually quite bad. That is pointless, yes.

Linux in general is not generally good for gaming. Lots of driver, feature, and developer support is missing in the Linux gaming space. Microsoft has spent billions of dollars in support, partnerships, and agreements to assure that DirectX is the most popular game rendering API. A free Linux industry run by volunteers is not going to compete.

What are the benefits of Linux over Windows? It is usually free. It is open source. It can be more secure. It can be faster and better optimized. It can be more flexible and customizeable. It can be an easier platform for developing and deploying specialized hardware and software solutions. That sort of thing. It's what boots up when you plug in your modem or router or turn on the screen for your in-flight entertainment system in the headrest in front of you. It is the original heart of the Apple and Android operating systems. It is the workhorse and often unspoken backbone of your integrated electronic life. If you own a "smart device", it's likely running on Linux. From your computer to an internet site, Linux is almost certainly somewhere in between.
2018/02/18 14:38:47
GiaVu
@ty_ger07 totally agree. Linux will never prosper because playing in VM will never get the same performance. Also, so many games using DirectX by Microsoft, I don't think they will ever release something similar for Linux.
Biggest reason Linux failed for gaming: is the fragmentation of the distribution channels. 
2018/02/18 14:44:45
ty_ger07
I never said Linux wouldn't prosper. I think it is already very successful. It's just not good for gaming.
2018/03/06 02:55:07
zentype
Pen testing of course favors Linux... Though I admit I doubt I'd ever allocate a partition strictly for Kali... I'd more opt for just installing pen testing tools on a more daily driver ready distro like ubuntu.

It's been a while since I've updated my Linux partition... Definitely need to do so especially after spectre and meltdown..
2018/04/19 22:41:40
quadlatte
ty_ger07
A Windows game needs Windows. You can run some Windows games in a virtual Windows environment or Windows emulator, but the performance is usually quite bad. That is pointless, yes.

Linux in general is not generally good for gaming. Lots of driver, feature, and developer support is missing in the Linux gaming space. Microsoft has spent billions of dollars in support, partnerships, and agreements to assure that DirectX is the most popular game rendering API. A free Linux industry run by volunteers is not going to compete.

What are the benefits of Linux over Windows? It is usually free. It is open source. It can be more secure. It can be faster and better optimized. It can be more flexible and customizeable. It can be an easier platform for developing and deploying specialized hardware and software solutions. That sort of thing. It's what boots up when you plug in your modem or router or turn on the screen for your in-flight entertainment system in the headrest in front of you. It is the original heart of the Apple and Android operating systems. It is the workhorse and often unspoken backbone of your integrated electronic life. If you own a "smart device", it's likely running on Linux. From your computer to an internet site, Linux is almost certainly somewhere in between.

You can get allot of windows games running using WINE and play on Linux, BTW wine stands for Wine Is Not a Emulator.
For distros I would stick with a Debian based release, I use MX17.1 and love it, their mx tools is by far the best all in one place easy to use solution.
2018/04/20 07:06:07
ty_ger07
I said "Virtual Windows Environment" for approaches such as WINE. WINE isn't perfect, isn't completely reliable, and may create a huge performance deficit since it gets the Linux display server in between the game and the hardware; which can cripple hardware acceleration. It's an option but is no substitute.
2018/04/20 11:43:44
quadlatte
ty_ger07
I said "Virtual Windows Environment" for approaches such as WINE. WINE isn't perfect, isn't completely reliable, and may create a huge performance deficit since it gets the Linux display server in between the game and the hardware; which can cripple hardware acceleration. It's an option but is no substitute.

Not really had any issues on the games I got working and tried, I think the biggest thing is getting your display drivers setup correctly, that seems the biggest hurdle to get right, once that is done and enabling coolbits in the x11 config file games run much much better.

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account