• Software
  • Thinking About Linux? Then Read Here! (p.10)
2021/06/09 05:22:16
onkel6ix
I saw recently that NVIDIA partnered with Steam to bring DLSS on linux with Proton
https://www.protondb.com/
2021/06/09 14:31:13
blangblong
I guess I can write up my experience with Linux.

I've been using Linux on all my home computers for a few years now. I've been using both Fedora and Debian. Both are fine, I'm somewhat more used to Debian. Ubuntu is probably great too, I just never tried it. Colleagues have used Manjaro and Arch with good results. My main use case is programming and a bit of this and that. There's a few developer tools and toolchains that are just more at home on Linux than on Windows(and vice versa of course).

I use i3wm on all my Linuxes, it's the first thing I install. Before that I tried a few other tiling window managers, but i3wm was the first that works great out of the box. If Windows had i3wm I wouldn't have minded Windows so much, I think.

Ditto at work, I've been using Fedora and Debian there as well. Work is generally a Windows shop, for good reasons. To get around the "Windows only"-policy we talked a manager into letting us use Linux on our desktops as an "experiment". He left the company years ago, but we keep the experiment running. As long as we just figure out stuff by ourselves IT doesn't cause a fuss. They're tech people, they administer Linux servers, they run Linux at home, they like Linux. They just don't want to support some user who complains about not being able to print from his desktop that he's not maintaining properly, running God knows what distro, with God knows what unpatched security issues.

As for gaming, while you can game on Linux(and I do), I wouldn't really recommend it. On an older box I took the trouble of installing a Windows VM(very easy), passing the GPU directly from the Linux host to the Windows VM(pretty tough setup and you need two GPUs, but worked very reliably once it was up). Dual booting is probably the simplest solution for gaming.
2021/06/18 15:01:59
buyerlmao12
ok
2021/06/18 15:09:12
goodgmr
Running Ubuntu, it is not like it used to be pretty easy drivers are good. Takes little getting used to the terminal that you need every now and again and installations can be tricky but otherwise rock solid experience with Linux. 
2021/06/18 15:20:46
goodgmr
That only used to be true, but anyway how about that dual boot. Ubuntu running like a dream. 
2021/07/12 20:01:10
Blitzzwar
Excellent post. I've often thought of trying Linux but have never taken the dive due to stores of poor driver and software support. 
2021/07/13 08:28:54
Dynition
If only more games would support Linux. I know a lot should be possible using Wine etc, but still doesn't feel like the best experience.
2021/07/13 08:30:05
Blitzzwar
Dynition
If only more games would support Linux. I know a lot should be possible using Wine etc, but still doesn't feel like the best experience.

That's what's always prevented me from switching.
2021/07/13 20:13:05
EpicFail9000
linux is still too heavily dependent on the user understanding the base sub system to get things done. There is an app store, there are gui's for most applications, but you are still somewhat reliant on navigating around with terminal to work out "major" problems.  Thats why i feel its not mainstream yet. 
2021/07/21 18:38:17
Cordorb
and now we have ( horn blast ) 
Microsoft's New Linux Distro

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account