• Hardware
  • Redmagic 5088 zone Mini-LED Monitor (p.4)
2024/05/25 08:35:34
bdary
Sajin
Well this monitor kills the X27 after you get the settings right. 

Hopefully a bit later today I'll be working on the settings of my new monitor.  It's showing our for delivery today.
2024/05/25 08:40:12
bdary
Nereus

I've had the Alienware AW2725DF since January and I'm loving it. Hands down the best monitor I've owned. 3 year warranty btw.

From all I've read, the OLED displays are really good.  I'd like to see them have a method to wipe any burn in that could happen like I used to have on my old Plasma TV.
2024/05/25 09:27:27
Sajin
bdary
Sajin
Well this monitor kills the X27 after you get the settings right.ย 

Hopefully a bit later today I'll be working on the settings of my new monitor.ย  It's showing our for delivery today.

๐Ÿ˜Ž๐Ÿ‘
2024/05/25 09:33:47
Nereus
bdary
Nereus
I've had the Alienware AW2725DF since January and I'm loving it. Hands down the best monitor I've owned. 3 year warranty btw.

From all I've read, the OLED displays are really good.  I'd like to see them have a method to wipe any burn in that could happen like I used to have on my old Plasma TV.

They sort of do - at least to prevent it happening in the first place. There's pixel refresh and panel refresh:

Pixel refresh happens after 4+ hours of use automatically when the monitor goes into standby mode. It takes 6-8 minutes to run, but you can stop it at any point if you want to use the monitor. You can also run it manually if you want. It does not interrupt you when you're using the monitor, it will just wait until the monitor goes into standby mode.

Panel refresh is also to prevent permanent image retention (burn-in) caused by static content when you use the monitor for at least 1,500 hours. You can manually activate the panel refresh function to refresh the pixels, or it will activate automatically when the accumulated usage time exceeds the factory default setting of 1,500 hours. It's like a very intense version of pixel refresh I believe, and takes about an hour to run.

The 3 year warranty also covers burn-in, and they will replace the panel if there is any sign of burn-in during that period. As far as I know, there is no reversing burn-in once you have it.
2024/05/25 09:51:56
Sajin
Oled for gaming is just asking for burn-in imo. Not interested in oled until they can release one that doesnโ€™t get burn-in. The redmagic monitor is the closest thing you can get to oled blacks without any bloom, and itโ€™s brighter than oled.
2024/05/25 10:21:22
bdary
Nereus
bdary
Nereus

They sort of do - at least to prevent it happening in the first place. There's pixel refresh and panel refresh:

Pixel refresh happens after 4+ hours of use automatically when the monitor goes into standby mode. It takes 6-8 minutes to run, but you can stop it at any point if you want to use the monitor. You can also run it manually if you want. It does not interrupt you when you're using the monitor, it will just wait until the monitor goes into standby mode.

Panel refresh is also to prevent permanent image retention (burn-in) caused by static content when you use the monitor for at least 1,500 hours. You can manually activate the panel refresh function to refresh the pixels, or it will activate automatically when the accumulated usage time exceeds the factory default setting of 1,500 hours. It's like a very intense version of pixel refresh I believe, and takes about an hour to run.

The 3 year warranty also covers burn-in, and they will replace the panel if there is any sign of burn-in during that period. As far as I know, there is no reversing burn-in once you have it.

Thanks for the info...  That is better than nothing at all and the 3 yr warranty sure helps. I have to agree with Sajin though on burn-in. My plan has been to get something close now and when the OLED tech improves or is replaced with better, that's when I'll jump.
2024/05/25 11:28:23
Nereus
bdary
Thanks for the info...  That is better than nothing at all and the 3 yr warranty sure helps. I have to agree with Sajin though on burn-in. My plan has been to get something close now and when the OLED tech improves or is replaced with better, that's when I'll jump.

No worries. I was looking at the specs for the RedMagic; the brightness is very impressive, both SDR and HDR! Mini-LED panels can also get burn-in (image retention), but certainly less prone to it than standard OLED. The new Alienwares use QD-OLED, so they operate a little differently from standard OLED - they don't use backlight, and they are brighter than standard OLED, and also offset burn-in risk with the pixel refresh I mentioned already (and the 3 year warranty helps, lol).

I'm reading on Reddit that some of the RedMagics have coil whine, although dropping from 160Hz to 144Hz seems to counter most of that, if it's an issue. RM is 4K too, whereas my AW is 2560x1440 - that's just personal preference for me though.

Seems they both have pros and cons. The 360Hz on the AW is smooth as butter if you game a lot.. it's amazing. I mostly play BF2042.

I think you'll be happy either way - both are high end monitors and most owners are very happy with their respective choices.

2024/05/26 00:12:42
Sajin
I've had image retention of my predator x27, but it went away as image retention on ips screens isn't permanent. If that would have happened to the oled it would be rma time. lol. My lg oled tv actually got burn-in just from using the web browser on it multiple times per day for hours at a time. LG replaced my tv for free as a courtesy which was nice. Now I only use it for tv & movies. No more web browsing. 
2024/05/26 09:05:15
bdary
Working on setting up my new monitor.

2024/05/26 09:22:22
Sajin
๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account