2024/03/28 21:56:54
OCCiera
Hello all,
I recently got a second 1080Ti SC2 to play with, popped it in, and got an error for not enough pcie lanes, and it wouldn't let me boot. I figured maybe it was my sound card, so I removed it, same issue. Checked the board diagram; NVME controlled by chipset lanes. When I remove the sound card, the 1080Ti runs at a full 16x, so that's not the issue, why when I run 2 at x8 each, is the NVME drive not detected in BIOS? Sorry if I'm missing something obvious.

This is using the beta bios for the 11900K. I don't have a 10th gen processor to test if this is the reason, unfortunately.

Thanks for reading!
2024/03/29 00:23:38
Sajin
Hmm. That is odd. That shouldn't be happening. Have you tried to call evga to see what they have to say? Since it's happening when you enable sli I would also file a bug report with nvidia... https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSewHJk1xP-C5elLBRCDLTLpNQZ9eiefrdZmUGP9hMCN6gKssA/viewform
2024/03/29 00:32:47
rjohnson11
I agree that does sound strange. As Sajin said, contact EVGA tech support. 
2024/03/29 15:11:24
OCCiera
Sajin
Since it's happening when you enable sli I would also file a bug report with nvidia... 

I phrased it poorly. When I place 2 cards into the system, bridge or not, the NVME drive becomes disabled. I can't boot into Windows to be able to enable/disable SLI (though I wish that was the case, software issues are a lot easier to troubleshoot!) Not an Nvidia issue.

Sajin
Hmm. That is odd. That shouldn't be happening. Have you tried to call evga to see what they have to say?

This was a secondhand purchase, and it seems I need to have the product registered to use the support line. I was hoping some of the folks here would maybe know about the issue or something similar.

2024/03/29 16:00:31
Sajin
Either there is something wrong with your board such as bent pins in the cpu socket, or the beta bios could be the issue.
2024/03/29 16:57:58
OCCiera
Sajin
Either there is something wrong with your board such as bent pins in the cpu socket, or the beta bios could be the issue.

I can confirm that there are no bent pins, I may get a celeron or something to test if it's the BIOS, but I'll try to dig more first.

Thank you for your time.
2024/03/30 05:44:24
vcbb10
What motherboard is this?  Which slots are you using for the NVMe and for the GPUs?

10th/11th gen didn't have many PCIe lanes.  10th had 16 dedicated to GPU, 11th had 20 with 4 to an NVMe (for Z590) and 16 to the GPU.  If your motherboard doesn't support bifurcation of the main 16 lanes into 2 8x lanes for SLI, than the other lanes would probably come from the PCH.  If that's the case, it would disable a (normally second) NVMe slot.
2024/03/30 05:58:13
vcbb10
Ok, Z490 Dark is in your signature .

Your GPU's should be in PCIe Slot 1 and Slot 2.  This should split the main 16x lanes between both for 8x to both GPUs.  Don't use PCIe slot 3 (the non-silver one).

Slot 2 shares lanes with Slot 4 (bottom slot).  So, you probably can't have anything in Slot 4 because you probably need all 8 lanes in slot 2.  I'd try removing anything in PCIe Slot 4.

GPU 1 in Slot 1.  GPU 2 in Slot 2.  NVMe in M.2 socket 1.

No U.2.  Nothing in PCIe Slot 4.  No GPU in PCIe slot 3 (this is 4 lanes from the PCH and will disable an M.2 slot, and probably won't work with a GPU).

And I think that should work...

2024/03/30 07:01:59
Hoggle
From what I am seeing on page 27 of the manual it shows the list of shared lanes and looks like slot 3 shares lanes with the second M.2 port. The top M.2 port shares lanes with the U.2 port.
2024/04/01 22:44:31
OCCiera
vcbb10
Ok, Z490 Dark is in your signature .

Your GPU's should be in PCIe Slot 1 and Slot 2.  This should split the main 16x lanes between both for 8x to both GPUs.  Don't use PCIe slot 3 (the non-silver one).

Slot 2 shares lanes with Slot 4 (bottom slot).  So, you probably can't have anything in Slot 4 because you probably need all 8 lanes in slot 2.  I'd try removing anything in PCIe Slot 4.

GPU 1 in Slot 1.  GPU 2 in Slot 2.  NVMe in M.2 socket 1.

No U.2.  Nothing in PCIe Slot 4.  No GPU in PCIe slot 3 (this is 4 lanes from the PCH and will disable an M.2 slot, and probably won't work with a GPU).

And I think that should work...

Unfortunately, that is not the case.
Hoggle
From what I am seeing on page 27 of the manual it shows the list of shared lanes and looks like slot 3 shares lanes with the second M.2 port. The top M.2 port shares lanes with the U.2 port.

That's what I read as well, I even tried disabling some PCH devices to see if that would free up some lanes, but I could get nothing to work.

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account