2024/03/03 10:41:39
Nereus
MSim
Nereus
The message must have got through that we're about ready to dump our ISP.. they just increased our download speed to 500Mbps for no additional charge. Upload speed still capped at 20Mbps though, unfortunately (COAX connection, not fiber).
*snip*

One thing i have noticed about cox "free" internet speed increase. Every time the do it within 6 months they costs of business has gone up and increase internet fee by at least $3. Cox Cable in my neighborhood is like 580ish/ 10up, unless you want to pay for gigablast plan but that plan only has like 30mbps upload and of course Cox famous 1025GB data cap ($50 more a month for unlimited).

I plan on pushing to keep Fiber Internet were currently testing out and ditching Cox internet, even if it's a few dollar more a month. Every month or two cox would do maintenance around 12-1am and our internet would be down for 3-4hrs. 

Optimum keeps nudging their prices up too - I had enough and that's what started me doing something about it.

Similar to Optimum (my ISP) - you can only get 35mbps upload if you pay for the 1Gig download plan, which is about $50/month more. Anything beyond those speeds requires fiber.

Having a data cap is atrocious in this day an age! That's a lot of data, but doable, particularly when you have families with people working from home.

2024/03/03 22:24:51
MSim
Nereus
MSim
Nereus
The message must have got through that we're about ready to dump our ISP.. they just increased our download speed to 500Mbps for no additional charge. Upload speed still capped at 20Mbps though, unfortunately (COAX connection, not fiber).
*snip*

One thing i have noticed about cox "free" internet speed increase. Every time the do it within 6 months they costs of business has gone up and increase internet fee by at least $3. Cox Cable in my neighborhood is like 580ish/ 10up, unless you want to pay for gigablast plan but that plan only has like 30mbps upload and of course Cox famous 1025GB data cap ($50 more a month for unlimited).

I plan on pushing to keep Fiber Internet were currently testing out and ditching Cox internet, even if it's a few dollar more a month. Every month or two cox would do maintenance around 12-1am and our internet would be down for 3-4hrs. 

Optimum keeps nudging their prices up too - I had enough and that's what started me doing something about it.

Similar to Optimum (my ISP) - you can only get 35mbps upload if you pay for the 1Gig download plan, which is about $50/month more. Anything beyond those speeds requires fiber.

Having a data cap is atrocious in this day an age! That's a lot of data, but doable, particularly when you have families with people working from home.

Years ago when Cox first added data caps, they claimed like  less than 10% of it's customers use over 1025GB of data a month. Which is bull and they know it. They push data caps to milk customers that have no real competitor to switch. In Area cox has real competitors, they give unlimited data free to keep customers.

2024/03/04 05:50:20
Nereus

What a bunch of cox.

2024/03/08 04:32:05
jeffro66
I've got metronet fiber 1gig the fastest i have seen it is 800m down 150m up they came and looked at it started to say was on my end till he seen my computer and i had it hard wired with Ethernet8 cable and i install some fiber installs lol but it works good so i let it go they don't have a good fiber backbone like the place where i work.

where fixing to crank up fiber in my area so i'll be able to compare shortly
2024/03/08 13:19:58
Bee_Dee_3_Dee
jeffro66
I've got metronet fiber 1gig the fastest i have seen it is 800m down 150m up they came and looked at it started to say was on my end till he seen my computer and i had it hard wired with Ethernet8 cable and i install some fiber installs lol but it works good so i let it go they don't have a good fiber backbone like the place where i work.

ty jeffro66!

metronet appears to be available in my city.
2024/03/09 08:08:26
jeffro66
Bee_Dee_3_Dee
jeffro66

ty jeffro66!

metronet appears to be available in my city.

it works good especially gaming very stable 
2024/03/09 09:06:06
Hoggle
MSim
Nereus
MSim
Nereus
*snip*

Years ago when Cox first added data caps, they claimed like  less than 10% of it's customers use over 1025GB of data a month. Which is bull and they know it. They push data caps to milk customers that have no real competitor to switch. In Area cox has real competitors, they give unlimited data free to keep customers.

I’m sure that when they looked at the data less than 10% of customers used more than the 1TB of data a month. It’s probably a limit they put in place a decade ago before 4K streaming and people started to cut the cable and stream everything. For a long time even with Netflix it was only streaming at 480p and 720p. Probably now it’s gone up substantially since they last time they looked at the numbers for how many hit the cap.
2024/03/11 02:45:34
MSim
Hoggle
MSim
Nereus
MSim
Nereus
*snip*

I’m sure that when they looked at the data less than 10% of customers used more than the 1TB of data a month. It’s probably a limit they put in place a decade ago before 4K streaming and people started to cut the cable and stream everything. For a long time even with Netflix it was only streaming at 480p and 720p. Probably now it’s gone up substantially since they last time they looked at the numbers for how many hit the cap.

They did put data cap in place over a decade ago. They knew people would use internet more over time and wanted to milk customers like they do customers that still have cable tv service with them. They designed cable tv system to where every tv in a home needs a box you have to rent from them. 

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account