2024/02/04 12:54:03
SmookinJoe
I cut the cable awhile back and discovered android boxes..
Never watch a commercial. I rarely watch live tv but there are ways to do it.
ip tv is cheap..I don't need it.
My Fiber 1gig service (up and down) is around $100/mo cdn.
Every tv has an android box (you might be able to install the apk's, I use, on an Android based smart tv)
Can't go into too much detail but if you need help finding out how to do it..pm me.
You will need to have a Facebook account to join the groups I use.

2024/02/04 15:30:24
bill1024
I can't see giving up my FIOS TV. I have their TV and internet 1gb fiber. It's been so stable and reliable over the years.
There are way too many stations we watch to subscribe to.
All the local 2,4,5,7,9,10,11, YES, MSG 1&2, SEC network, ESPN 1,2,u, Fox sports 1&2, Several news stations, FX, TBS, TNT, MAV, USA, Story, ME, COZ, SNY, Big Ten network, weather channel, History, FYi, Discovery, Travel, TRU, Showtime channels, movie channel, kids stations for the grandkids and a bunch more.
I like my sports, news and other programs I or the Mrs. sometimes watch depending... No way I would be able to replace all of them for the same price and stability.
Under a couple hundred and it's in the budget no problem.

2024/02/04 18:20:36
SmookinJoe

bill1024
I know I don't have all the answers..
I was watching live tv when I first got my boxes..sports events..some pay per view but I found it to be a pia to update the build on Kodi to stay ahead of the interruptions. Builds were free and they worked great. I do know there are many options available, other than BIG Cable sources.
I just like to pass the time being entertained without commercials. Everything I watch is on my demand...I binge shows from beginning to end of multiple seasons all in the proper sequence.
I would suggest getting an android box..(android tablet or phone would do) install a couple of apk's(android package) and see if you like the variety and options..Might be able to trim some of your costs..without giving up quality

2024/02/12 18:55:18
MSim
Working on cutting coax cable for internet.

Go from cable 500/10 to fiber 500/500 for same price. Current testing out 1gb up/down but it's only getting around 800ish for up/down. Probably drop to 500/500 and still be fine.

2024/02/12 19:22:56
Nereus

I purchased my own modem and am returning the modem supplied by the ISP. I've always had my own router, but didn't think much about the modem - I was paying $12/month + tax for it for years! Buying my own one cost about 6-7 months worth of modem rental, then it's all free from there. Again, should have done it years ago. Only pain was spending 2 hours on the phone getting the ISP to register the new modem, but it's done now and max speed is a little faster too.

2024/02/12 21:22:17
MSim
Nereus

I purchased my own modem and am returning the modem supplied by the ISP. I've always had my own router, but didn't think much about the modem - I was paying $12/month + tax for it for years! Buying my own one cost about 6-7 months worth of modem rental, then it's all free from there. Again, should have done it years ago. Only pain was spending 2 hours on the phone getting the ISP to register the new modem, but it's done now and max speed is a little faster too.

I like how Fiber only needs a router. 
2024/02/12 23:45:49
rjohnson11
MSim
Nereus

I like how Fiber only needs a router. 

I agree. I've had fiber for quite some time. Luckily prices for internet services are slightly regulated in Europe.
2024/02/13 13:10:29
SmookinJoe
MSim

Go from cable 500/10 to fiber 500/500 for same price. Current testing out 1gb up/down but it's only getting around 800ish for up/down. Probably drop to 500/500 and still be fine.

You can always ask the question as to how much throughput your setup s capable of.
https://www.snbforums.com/
Nat translation, firewalls etc affect total throughput.
Currently looks like you are losing 200mbs
What speeds were you getting on the 500/10 setup?
You could possibly see a similar drop on the 500/500 as you are seeing now.
Are you testing directly connected to the fiber modem/router?
2024/02/13 14:50:55
MSim
SmookinJoe
MSim

You can always ask the question as to how much throughput your setup s capable of.
https://www.snbforums.com/
Nat translation, firewalls etc affect total throughput.
Currently looks like you are losing 200mbs
What speeds were you getting on the 500/10 setup?
You could possibly see a similar drop on the 500/500 as you are seeing now.
Are you testing directly connected to the fiber modem/router?

They have two plans for Fiber up to 500/500 or up to 1000/1000. So far 877/877 is best speed test i have seen on 1000/1000 plan. I'm directly connected to my router. Cox Cable i would get 560/10. Cox data cap is 1025GB a month, unlimited data is $49.99 a month. No data caps on fiber. 500/500 or even 500/300 would be just fine for me. Once in awhile i like to stream my gameplay to friends, 10mpbs for whole house isn't enough.

My router is over 5 years old. Not sure if a new one would improve speeds due to being hard wired to it.  
2024/02/13 16:59:58
Hoggle
Nereus

That is one thing I have considered. It’s worth it if they don’t change out the hardware often or if the hardware is overkill for your needs.

Unfortunately for me Comcast seems to make it hard to find a modem capable of their top speed without renting but at least the modem has WiFi 6e support.

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account