2024/01/08 07:19:57
Nereus

Received the latest cable bill last night with a $50/month price hike! Apparently they increased the pricing for everyone, but also some promotion ended for us so the price was going up to $250/month. We used to have the premium gold package with all the channels years ago, but every time the bill increased above $200/month, I would downgrade the cable TV package to keep it at slightly under $200/month. Finally it got down to the most basic cable TV option they have, plus internet (200 Mbps down / 35 Mbps up), and a land line, and still it went up to $250/month! We almost never watch cable TV anymore because of the insanely excessive amount of ads on EVERY channel, it's just too frustrating to sit through.

So this morning I called them and cut the cable TV service. That's after 15+ years with the same provider. 

They offered me a bunch of discounts to retain the cable TV service, which actually made it slightly cheaper than what I had been paying for the last year (just under $200/month), but nope, what's the point if we don't even watch it now.

Having just the internet (same speed) & phone will be $105/month from now on.

I should have done this a lot sooner lol.

2024/01/08 07:33:13
rjohnson11
I feel a bit lucky in Europe to have glass fiber internet (1000MB/S) with TV, and landline for about 88 Euros a month. This includes tax. My mobile bill for two mobile phones comes to about 43 Euros a month and that's separate.  
2024/01/08 08:12:51
Cool GTX
There are also some good free streaming services to watch TV shows with. 

My Samsung "smart TV" offers many free channels including "Samsung TV Plus", though there are commercials

When I looked at the paid streaming services, they had become as expensive as Comcast TV services.

Also I do get a "free" streaming box from Comcast as part of my internet only package, this offers me a few more channels (with commercials)
2024/01/08 08:33:26
Nereus
rjohnson11
I feel a bit lucky in Europe to have glass fiber internet (1000MB/S) with TV, and landline for about 88 Euros a month. This includes tax. My mobile bill for two mobile phones comes to about 43 Euros a month and that's separate.  

Damn that's good.

We pay US$225/month (about €205/month) for 3 mobiles (5G + unlimited data though).

For about US$135/month I can get a fiber connection (940Mbps down & up) with no TV, but the fiber network is only connected as far as outside our apartment door, they then have to wire up the inside, and after seeing the ugly mess they made in my neighbor's apartment... no thanks. Maybe some time in the future if I can do the wiring myself.

All the above prices include tax.

2024/01/08 08:41:59
Nereus
Cool GTX
There are also some good free streaming services to watch TV shows with. 

My Samsung "smart TV" offers many free channels including "Samsung TV Plus", though there are commercials

When I looked at the paid streaming services, they had become as expensive as Comcast TV services.

Also I do get a "free" streaming box from Comcast as part of my internet only package, this offers me a few more channels (with commercials)

We have a 55" Samsung smart tv, I should check out their services if it's included, thanks for that.

We have Netflix 4K, which is ok. Also Amazon Prime Video which has been good, but they have just started putting ads on all the movies (unless you want to pay an extra $3/month). I'm thinking of canceling my Amazon Prime subscription because the next day delivery isn't next day half the time, so not sure exactly what significant benefit I'm getting out of it since Prime Video is mostly 3rd party now and has ads. I really really do not like ads, to the point I'd rather not watch a movie if it's going to be broken up with ads.

I'm almost expecting Steam to start inserting ads in the middle of gaming...

2024/01/08 08:58:27
Bobmitch
I cut the cord about two years ago Christmas.  I have 1 GB fios, Youtube TV, Hulu and more and still pay less than it would have cost me to stay with Cable TV, Internet and one land line
2024/01/08 10:25:47
Delirious
did that 4 years ago.  Tired of Frontier and their prices.  Switch internet companies and only use youtube TV.   It's nice because I can use it at work and at home and my mom doesn't have to pay for cable because it has family sharing.   Youtube TV does the news and sports, that's all I need. I have saved thousands.  Frontier begged me to come back.
2024/01/08 14:32:17
yaymz
Congrats on cutting the cord.  Did so about 10 years ago and haven't looked back.

The day of reckoning for the cable companies is here.  They had their chance to fix the outrageous charges and doubled down on selling their customers bloated packages which nobody wanted.  Lets be real, does anyone even watch more than 1% of the programming you pay for through cable with 600 channels of programming?

I feel like traditional cable will be dead in less than 10 years..  The younger generation doesn't watch cable at all (Imagine having to set a reminder on your iphone because the show you like comes from 8-9pm ).  Younger gen wants content on demand.  Cable will be relegated to just providing internet service.  There really isn't anything on cable that you can't get on-demand over the internet (for a small fee).

We have AT&T 1g which we pay $60/mo..  plus my wife gets another $30 worth of streaming services, so we pay about $90/mo total.
2024/01/08 23:59:46
rjohnson11
Everyone is trying to save money so there are loads of alternatives. 
2024/01/09 16:42:47
STR1D3R_2
Good for you Nereus !!!
Welcome to the club. I joined about 6 years ago now but it was a slow migration to keep the wife from killing me.
My first step was putting up a cheap antenna from wally mart. It had the 80 mile range printed on it. The highest on the shelves. That doesn't really mean too much as its more line of site so I've read. Put it up and found 43 channels right away. Great channels at that.
We started watching tv only on that and soon ditched the cable vision. Turned in 3 dvr's and the modem. Then bought our own modem at best buy for around  70 bucks.
Soon after all that a new cell tower went up about 10 miles away or less and we ditched the land line. Our bill went from 376 a month to just under 50. Have not regretted a single choice.

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account