2023/10/18 07:31:01
B0baganoosh
This is in no way defending them not having a BIOS on launch, but advise for others. Yes I have some extreme cooling, but my OC'd 13900k beats every 14900k review score I've seen so far. It's a pretty pointless update. You can save some money and just buy a 13900k (over a 14900k) and get the same performance out of the box or beat it with an OC. I'm betting anybody with a good 280+ sized AIO can do a slight overclock and have the same CPU as a 14900k or even better. It's the same chip.

If you were hoping to go to a 14700k...I'd point you to 13700k or 13900k again. I'd be pretty leery of trying to build a new system with an EVGA product today as we don't even know how long they'll be doing warranty work at this point.

I'm not surprised they didn't have a BIOS ready, but I'm a little surprised not to see any staff post anything on the forums yesterday.
2023/10/18 07:44:57
oldfresh
B0baganoosh
This is in no way defending them not having a BIOS on launch, but advise for others. Yes I have some extreme cooling, but my OC'd 13900k beats every 14900k review score I've seen so far. It's a pretty pointless update. You can save some money and just buy a 13900k (over a 14900k) and get the same performance out of the box or beat it with an OC. I'm betting anybody with a good 280+ sized AIO can do a slight overclock and have the same CPU as a 14900k or even better. It's the same chip.

And if they drop a 14900KS? No excuses unfortunately. I dropped EVGA support an email today and if they get back to me about bios updates for 690/790 boards I'll let you guys know what they say.

zerocool101
Kingpin Vince himself just posted on FaceBook with a pic of the z790 Dark saying "Intel's 14900k and kf running great on the z790 dark and z790 classified with the lastest PREVIOUS Bios releases"

Got a pic or more info on the post from Vince? Any idea which bios # he is using? Thanks =)
2023/10/18 07:53:59
B0baganoosh
oldfresh

And if they drop a 14900KS? No excuses unfortunately. I dropped EVGA support an email today and if they get back to me about bios updates for 690/790 boards I'll let you guys know what they say.

I already said I wasn't defending EVGA (i.e. not making excuses for them). I'm just saying it's a pointless "generation" from intel, according to pretty much every review.

As others have said, it's possible that the 14900k will work on the current EVGA BIOS as it is a 13900ks with slightly different clocks (likely what Vince was doing). It may not clock correctly because of that though, so you'd want to manually set clocks. The 14700k is a different configuration than any 13-series, so it makes sense the boards don't even recognize those.
2023/10/18 07:57:42
ty_ger07
I imagine that Vince did a microcode update, or he is using one CPU which does work, while others don't. He probably isn't telling a complete story.  And a solution for one person with some means isn't a solution for everyone.
2023/10/18 08:09:11
B0baganoosh
ty_ger07
I imagine that Vince did a microcode update, or he is using one CPU which does work, while others don't. He probably isn't telling a complete story.  And a solution for one person with some means isn't a solution for everyone.

A fair point
2023/10/18 09:25:28
nlodeserto
Only this, without any argoument or specific, and with just fan comments.

For me it's simply not enough. And I follow Kingpin from years, and I bought this board also for him.
and doesn't matter if the 14gen it's or it's not a valid update, that's not the question here.
2023/10/18 12:32:07
DaboInk
Well I can share that I submitted a customer service ticket Monday asking about the BIOS, if it was coming still, or if they could update regarding when, and got a response near end of day Tuesday stating "this is still being looked at, unfortunately I cannot provide you an ETA."  I think we would all feel better if that sort of update was provided to everyone here in the forum from EVGA directly, but I appreciate the honesty from the customer service rep that no ETA was available at this time.
2023/10/18 13:02:28
DaboInk
If it turns out the BIOS updates were just to support 14700K and tweak some voltages here and there and the 14900K works flawlessly it would be a bummer that we have to wait to find that out, but it does seem likely that some other tinkering was required.  But seeing as the only people here that had a 14900K or KF and posted about it returned their's I guess we will keep waiting to find out.  Maybe someone on a site like overclock.net will try it out and post about it.

But also knowing that the primary difference between 13900KS and 14900K is the name on the chip and not a massive gap in performance I am slightly less salty now than I was before all the reviews went live.  Sure the per core throtling and even better bin sounds nice, and I would appreciate higher clocks at less voltage, but I guess I can always get a 14900K in a few months and sell my KS once more is known.  I am bummed but not in dire need.
2023/10/18 13:08:26
ty_ger07
EVGA CS said to me:
The BIOS to support the Raptor Lakes has been requested. Unfortunately we do not have an ETA at this time.

Regards,
EVGA

2023/10/18 13:54:39
Ravenmaster
ty_ger07
EVGA CS said to me:
The BIOS to support the Raptor Lakes has been requested. Unfortunately we do not have an ETA at this time.

Regards,
EVGA

Sounds like the original BIOS team has already left the company and now they're trying to hire some temps to do one last update

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account