2023/10/19 07:56:01
lradunovic
Talon2020
I will test tonight with my 14900K. I got a second 14900K in and will first test the new one in my Z790 Apex board to check SP and V/F curve and then put the worse one in my Z690 Dark. Will update, but it sounds like it will at least work? Still should get proper BIOS support from EVGA! 

What do you mean it works? Do you have a beta version of newer bios or what?
2023/10/19 17:46:25
Pkcollins
Just installed my 14900k into my z690 classified with the latest bios (march I believe) and everything seems to be working great.

2023/10/19 21:09:44
Talon2020
f

14900K up and running on my Z690 Dark with BIOS 2.13

Clocks, boosting to 6Ghz all appear to be working fine. BIOS recognizes the CPU properly as 14900K. 

Edit: Unfortunately when testing the CPU it does not perform as it should or how it performs in my Z790 Apex with proper BIOS support. This same CPU in my Z790 Apex when locked at 253w and undervolted will boost to 5.5Ghz all core and 4.2/4.3 E cores and score over 40K in CB23. When used in the Z690 Dark, when clamped with same Intel limit of 253w and undervolted, it will only boost to around 5.0-5.1 and 4.0 on E cores and scores around 37K. If I attempt to further undervolt the test will fail, crash or log WHEA errors. 

There are clearly missing V/F optimizations that are missing from this BIOS that other boards have with proper support. I would not put a 14900K in this board and expect proper functionality until EVGA address this issue. 
2023/10/20 06:08:24
ironage
@Talon2020

thanks for your effort and providing the most valuable information since weeks here, appreciate it very much.

2023/10/20 06:10:18
Black_Hawx1
Talon2020
f

Clocks, boosting to 6Ghz all appear to be working fine. BIOS recognizes the CPU properly as 14900K. 

Edit: Unfortunately when testing the CPU it does not perform as it should or how it performs in my Z790 Apex with proper BIOS support. This same CPU in my Z790 Apex when locked at 253w and undervolted will boost to 5.5Ghz all core and 4.2/4.3 E cores and score over 40K in CB23. When used in the Z690 Dark, when clamped with same Intel limit of 253w and undervolted, it will only boost to around 5.0-5.1 and 4.0 on E cores and scores around 37K. If I attempt to further undervolt the test will fail, crash or log WHEA errors. 

There are clearly missing V/F optimizations that are missing from this BIOS that other boards have with proper support. I would not put a 14900K in this board and expect proper functionality until EVGA address this issue. 

thank you for the big report! watching the z690 being able to run the 14 series is impressive enough, lets hope evga release a new bios in the next weeks.

2023/10/20 06:33:18
B0baganoosh
Talon2020
f

How did you lock the power down on the z690 Dark? I didn't think we had a power limit option in the BIOS. If you used XTU, I'm curious about the settings, as I've never had luck getting XTU to play nicely with my z690 Classified. I think you have to have defaults on in the BIOS or they start fighting each other and I'm not even positive that it works if you run defaults.

I'm curious what happens if you manually set the per-core ratios as an overclock in the BIOS if it will run properly. I'm not sure what voltage settings you'd have to run. My guess is some decent negative offsets on the V/F points around 5400 and 5700 (none at higher points). Of course it is just a guess...
2023/10/20 09:22:07
B0baganoosh
I just saw Kingpin put this comment on his FB post about running on EVGA boards with 14900k:

This is on 690 DARK with normal room temp ambient watercooling. It's hitting 98-99c under load here on R23, so likely the max of this chip. The Ecores on these cpus seem much improved. Also, it goes without saying that you MUST USE manual settings to get it flying. Currently there still isn't any official bios support for 14th gen, so don't expect "auto" type settings to 100% function correctly on either boards. That being said, It will still OC like a beast if you tweak everything manually.

2023/10/20 09:55:46
Talon2020
B0baganoosh
Talon2020
f

How did you lock the power down on the z690 Dark? I didn't think we had a power limit option in the BIOS. If you used XTU, I'm curious about the settings, as I've never had luck getting XTU to play nicely with my z690 Classified. I think you have to have defaults on in the BIOS or they start fighting each other and I'm not even positive that it works if you run defaults.

I'm curious what happens if you manually set the per-core ratios as an overclock in the BIOS if it will run properly. I'm not sure what voltage settings you'd have to run. My guess is some decent negative offsets on the V/F points around 5400 and 5700 (none at higher points). Of course it is just a guess...

Go to Advanced/ CPU Config/ CPU Power Limit. Set whatever you want and it will respect that power limit for short/long term. Essentially just makes it a long term power limit, never throttles below. 

Testing more today, I've found that around 280w gets my CPU to perform identical to 253w limit on the Apex board. The more I think about it, it could be as simple as the way power is being measured or some sort of differences in the VRM. Temps were great at 280w, even with the smaller 280mm AIO I'm using. P cores peaked around 70c and E around 60c. So it's definitely performing great. Scores over 40K with that limit in place. 

I've also found this 14900K has a better IMC than my 13900K I had in there. I'm now able to push my 2x32gb Dual Rank kit up to 7200 Stable on the Z690 Dark, where previously 7000 seemed it's limit. I'll test for 7400 or higher today. 

So it does appear to be working fine, just with slightly higher reported power draw vs my Asus board. But that might be in error or not a big deal as temps don't seem to reflect the higher power draw. I'm still hoping to see EVGA drop a BIOS, but glad to see that at least the CPU seems to function fine as is. I'll report back if I find any other issues. 
2023/10/21 05:52:53
redarman
Talon2020
B0baganoosh
Talon2020
f

Go to Advanced/ CPU Config/ CPU Power Limit. Set whatever you want and it will respect that power limit for short/long term. Essentially just makes it a long term power limit, never throttles below. 

Testing more today, I've found that around 280w gets my CPU to perform identical to 253w limit on the Apex board. The more I think about it, it could be as simple as the way power is being measured or some sort of differences in the VRM. Temps were great at 280w, even with the smaller 280mm AIO I'm using. P cores peaked around 70c and E around 60c. So it's definitely performing great. Scores over 40K with that limit in place. 

I've also found this 14900K has a better IMC than my 13900K I had in there. I'm now able to push my 2x32gb Dual Rank kit up to 7200 Stable on the Z690 Dark, where previously 7000 seemed it's limit. I'll test for 7400 or higher today. 

So it does appear to be working fine, just with slightly higher reported power draw vs my Asus board. But that might be in error or not a big deal as temps don't seem to reflect the higher power draw. I'm still hoping to see EVGA drop a BIOS, but glad to see that at least the CPU seems to function fine as is. I'll report back if I find any other issues. 

Thanks for the update!
2023/10/21 16:45:12
lradunovic
redarman
Talon2020
B0baganoosh
Talon2020
f

Thanks for the update!

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account