2024/06/30 09:40:03
Flybye
I had a Gigabyte board randomly die 10+ years ago. My work rig has an MSI Z690, and it's been fine, but I haven't tried doing any wild overclocking with it. With the horror stories I've read about Asus, I agree they are just living off their name now. ASRock, I don't believe I've ever had any of their boards.
2024/07/14 11:13:16
rizzlah34
Time to go to Asrock I guess. Seems to be the least ''evil'' AiB especially after the recent ASUS thing however I expect to run my X570 Classy with 5950X for quite some time it still encodes pretty hastily.

Might even wait for Zen 6 or for what Intel cooks up.

RIP EVGA tho, always used their boards even if they recently lacked features compared to the competition while having that premium price tag, it was still worth it because of the RMA service and support.
2024/07/15 07:55:05
ObscureEmpyre
rizzlah34
Time to go to Asrock I guess. Seems to be the least ''evil'' AiB especially after the recent ASUS thing however I expect to run my X570 Classy with 5950X for quite some time it still encodes pretty hastily.

Might even wait for Zen 6 or for what Intel cooks up.

RIP EVGA tho, always used their boards even if they recently lacked features compared to the competition while having that premium price tag, it was still worth it because of the RMA service and support.

I feel ya. ASRock may also be my go to for my next board, and like you, whenever that may be. I know EVGA wasn't a public company, but I wish they'd have sold it to someone or some group that appreciated it for what it was and would have wanted to carry on the legacy. The gist of what I heard as to why EVGA bowed out of the GPU game, and ultimately killed the company, was that Nvidia was screwing them over. I'm not sure how, or if it was any different than how they interacted with all the other brands/board partners. I just know that EVGA was well-known and well-respected within the community. Sucks when one person or just a handful have the capability of pulling the rug out from under everyone who supported and patronized them over the years. Oh well. Such is life. RIP EVGA.
2024/07/22 12:57:44
Talon2020
https://community.intel.com/t5/Processors/July-2024-Update-on-Instability-Reports-on-Intel-Core-13th-and/m-p/1617113#M74792

Intel has finally addressed the 13th and 14th gen CPUs and they require a BIOS microcode fix to ensure the CPUs aren't damaged over time. Given EVGA sold these boards as supporting 13th gen, they have to provide this fix or they're not holding up their end of the bargain. 
2024/07/22 13:15:17
Cpt.Derrek
Talon2020
https://community.intel.com/t5/Processors/July-2024-Update-on-Instability-Reports-on-Intel-Core-13th-and/m-p/1617113#M74792

Intel has finally addressed the 13th and 14th gen CPUs and they require a BIOS microcode fix to ensure the CPUs aren't damaged over time. Given EVGA sold these boards as supporting 13th gen, they have to provide this fix or they're not holding up their end of the bargain. 

We can only hope? I'm very skeptical though. I won't be convinced this resolved the issue until it's been fully tested. Still another month to get the microcode update though :(
2024/07/22 14:00:04
Sajin
Talon2020

No thanks. I’ll keep my performance. The fact he states it only affects some processors makes it seem like a silicon quality issue to me. Glad my sample is a good one. Been running it at stock settings on the z690 kingpin for 1.6 years without issues.
2024/07/23 11:50:17
ObscureEmpyre
Talon2020

The fix may require new microcode, which in turn means a new BIOS revision, but EVGA boards are no longer supported except maybe through warranty/extended warranty in the event of a hardware failure.
2024/07/23 16:08:52
ilukeberry
Adding additional microcode to BIOS should be trivial task. Also depends what kind of obligations mobo manufactures have to Intel... since they are using their socket. There has to be some kind of agreement between EVGA and Intel to use their chipset and support their CPUs.
2024/07/23 20:35:40
murlo26
Looks like oxidation issues too for 13th gen which was fixed sometime in 2023. I bought my 13900k in Oct 2022 so guessing mine has an issue. I had to limit power and undervolt mine months ago to get it stable so guessing mine might have an issue, it's hard to say though as it also just runs hot as balls even under custom water cooling (when I say hot, it's relative, just hot for custom WC, but over 300 watts cpu and over 500w gpu can do that I guess). 

I am curious what they will do for the microcode update though...would be nice to get a fix. 
2024/07/23 21:43:26
Sajin
murlo26
Looks like oxidation issues too for 13th gen which was fixed sometime in 2023. I bought my 13900k in Oct 2022 so guessing mine has an issue. I had to limit power and undervolt mine months ago to get it stable so guessing mine might have an issue, it's hard to say though as it also just runs hot as balls even under custom water cooling (when I say hot, it's relative, just hot for custom WC, but over 300 watts cpu and over 500w gpu can do that I guess). 

I am curious what they will do for the microcode update though...would be nice to get a fix. 

I also bought mine in Oct 2022. Mine is still working fine. Man I'm dodging bullets left and right. 

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account