• EVGA Z690 Series
  • BIOS for Z690 DARK K|NGP|N (2.13) / CLASSIFIED (2.12) [Misc. Bug Fixes/24G DIMM support] (p.8)
2023/07/19 14:44:05
Bee_Dee_3_Dee
Stardust_One
Bee_Dee_3_Dee
see page 50 of the manual:

"First Boot First Boot First Boot
BIOS Update
When you power on the system for the first time (or after a BIOS update/reset) it may take a little longer than expected, and follow with a warning message on the screen reading “BIOS checksum error”. This is completely normal."

same thing as ^^ after new bios/optimal defaults i think.

Thank you! It's more, I updated my first post.

if the other worked somewhat OK; then u should have flipped the BIOS selector switch (to like position 2) before updating to a new one and kept the other on like BIOS Switch position 1.

and note: the new BIOS requires setting all settings u way us prefer. in other words, u can't use a backup profile from another version. u were absolutely correct doing the Optimal Default thing. be sure some BIOS setting isn't causing the crashes.

Edit 1: Page 12 of manual has "28. BIOS Selector Switch".
Switch to position 2 or 3. They should both have v1.03 on them. then update it to ur desired version.

2023/07/19 14:50:08
Stardust_One
Bee_Dee_3_Dee
if the other worked somewhat OK; then u should have flipped the BIOS selector switch (to like position 2) before updating to a new one and kept the other on like BIOS Switch position 1.

and note: the new BIOS requires setting all settings u way us prefer. in other words, u can't use a backup profile from another version. u were absolutely correct doing the Optimal Default thing. be sure some BIOS setting isn't causing the crashes.

I made a photo with my handy from the change of settings. I just made the mistake to write the 2.12 over the 1.15. I never had a problem like that.

Edit: I switch to another bios... let's see which one EVGA initally installed.
2023/07/19 15:01:00
Bee_Dee_3_Dee
Stardust_One
Bee_Dee_3_Dee

I made a photo with my handy from the change of settings. I just made the mistake to write the 2.12 over the 1.15. I never had a problem like that.

Edit: I switch to another bios... let's see which one EVGA initally installed.

all three, out of box are v1.03.
2023/07/19 15:05:16
Stardust_One
Bee_Dee_3_Dee

Right, I'm on 1.03. This may sound naive... but I can't reset the 2.12 to 1.15 or install 2.12 again on 2.12?

I just read "Flashing the BIOS" from the manual... incl. the checksum error, I did anything right. I just wonder why it turns off by itself.

Again, thank you!

2023/07/19 15:33:56
Bee_Dee_3_Dee
Stardust_One
Bee_Dee_3_Dee

Right, I'm on 1.03. This may sound naive... but I can't reset the 2.12 to 1.15 or install 2.12 again on 2.12?

I guess ur using v.103, on Switch position 2.

First... get it working perfectly with all only optimal Defaults in current position (2, right?). Meaning stable, stable, stable. i have only used v1.03. i luv it. Test Booting, Rebooting, Shutting down completely for a full minuet of more and it starts just fine. Test Programs and Games. Be sure all is OK with PC on Optimal Defaults and confirm no Hardware was causing the recent probs u have had.

Second... do the same on Switch position 3.

Third... get Switch position 1's BIOS back to v1.15; by booting into BIOS Switch 2 (or switch 3's BIOS) and then PM another member or call support, or wait until someone jumps in and confirms the following is the right protocol to follow: 
while in one of ur two functioning BIOS; flip the BIOS switch to the messed up one's position  (Switch 1, right?). And then update to v.1.15 while in BIOS said functioning BIOS (current).  
2023/07/19 15:56:19
Stardust_One
Bee_Dee_3_Dee
Stardust_One
Bee_Dee_3_Dee

First... get it working perfectly with all only optimal Defaults in current position (2, right?). Meaning stable, stable, stable. i have only used v1.03. i luv it. Test Booting, Rebooting, Shutting down completely for a full minuet of more and it starts just fine. Test Programs and Games. Be sure all is OK with PC on Optimal Defaults and confirm no Hardware was causing the recent probs u have had.

Third... get Switch position 1's BIOS back to v1.15; by booting into BIOS Switch 2 (or switch 3's BIOS) and then PM another member or call support, or wait until someone jumps in and confirms the following is the right protocol to follow: 
while in one of ur two functioning BIOS; flip the BIOS switch to the messed up one's position  (Switch 1, right?). And then update to v.1.15 while in BIOS said functioning BIOS (current).  

Thank you very much for your help! I'll stay with 1.03. I also read something about an sleep mode in BIOS. Maybe this caused the issue.

From my side of the globe, - good night!
2023/07/19 16:10:35
Bee_Dee_3_Dee
Stardust_One
Bee_Dee_3_Dee
Stardust_One
Bee_Dee_3_Dee

Thank you very much for your help! I'll stay with 1.03. I also read something about an sleep mode in BIOS. Maybe this caused the issue.

From my side of the globe, - good night!

NP.
and TY for helping me keep up on it; just in case i need to implement somewat of the same. recently i had a scare during a multiple brown-out scenario. (Power in my neighborhood was lost and returned several times in less than 90 seconds.) 

Never use sleep mode of any kind anytime on an expensive Gaming PC. 

oh, and only prob i ever had with EVGA's Classified z690 and v1.03 BIOS (and i got one of the 1st z690 they ever sold), was that the SPD Tab in CPU-Z failed to populate upon accessing it more than once; and i had to restart for it to populate. But now CPU-Z v2.06 works perfectly. 

GL
2023/07/20 05:08:49
Stardust_One
Bee_Dee_3_Dee
NP.
and TY for helping me keep up on it; just in case i need to implement somewat of the same. recently i had a scare during a multiple brown-out scenario. (Power in my neighborhood was lost and returned several times in less than 90 seconds.) 

oh, and only prob i ever had with EVGA's Classified z690 and v1.03 BIOS (and i got one of the 1st z690 they ever sold), was that the SPD Tab in CPU-Z failed to populate upon accessing it more than once; and i had to restart for it to populate. But now CPU-Z v2.06 works perfectly. 

GL

Thank you! I called EVGA - a hearty thanks to the one I talked too! I made a downgrade from 2.12 to 2.09. It looks like it worked. I think in my case, the memory caused the freeze of the OS.
2023/07/20 17:21:49
Bee_Dee_3_Dee
Stardust_One
Bee_Dee_3_Dee
NP.

GL

Thank you! I called EVGA - a hearty thanks to the one I talked too! I made a downgrade from 2.12 to 2.09. It looks like it worked. I think in my case, the memory caused the freeze of the OS.

NP

cool. congratz!

EVGA Phone Support has always been A#1.
2023/07/29 10:30:30
RAVENEVGA
I've been using what was called a "Beta BIOS" for quite some time...so was thinking about updating my BIOS to the latest version...but after reading this thread...and with what's going on with EVGA, I feel inclined to just leave "well enough" alone.  The system is working perfectly well at this time anyway.

Any benefits to leaving it like it is........or for going ahead with the update?

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account