• EVGA Z690 Series
  • BIOS for Z690 DARK K|NGP|N (2.13) / CLASSIFIED (2.12) [Misc. Bug Fixes/24G DIMM support] (p.4)
2023/05/05 16:28:05
rgarodnick
If not you can flash it without a cpu
2023/05/05 21:22:54
Cpt.Derrek
lradunovic
I ordered Kingpin Z690 from Newegg. Do you know if the motherboard already has some bios version supporting 13900k preinstalled?

Thanks.

unlikely, but you can flash without CPU 

BIOS Installation Without CPU

• Extract the contents of .zip file to USB flash drive (must be formatted as FAT32)
  • Rename the file "EVGAE6XX.bin", where XX is the last two digits of the part number (e.g. Z690 DARK K|NGP|N should be EVGAE699.bin)
    • In the case of the Z690 DARK K|NGP|N, if EVGAE699.bin doesn't work, please try EVGAE690.bin
  • Install the USB flash drive into the USB Type-A port on the motherboard.
  • Make sure to connect the 24pin power connector from your power supply to the motherboard. 
  • Switch on the power supply, if it is not already on.
  • Hold the BIOS Update button on the rear I/O for approximately 2 seconds until the flash begins (the cursor on the POST LED will begin cycling)
  • The BIOS update may take approximately 5-7 minutes to complete.  When done, the board will restart.
  • Complete the rest of your build at this point to confirm a successful flash.
2023/05/07 10:08:48
Gamefever
EVGA_Lee
JOFAMIZU
Hello, i am a new to the forum, I want to buy the evga dark kingpin z690 but I want to know if it is also compatible with 48gb RAM modules for a maximum of 96gb.

I hope you can help me.

Thank you.

48GB modules have not been tested on our end to my knowledge.  Our MB team thinks they should work with the latest BIOS, but we can't guarantee compatibility at this time.

PC
EVGA z690 Dark Kingpin
CPU i9 12900K

Will it use 24 gig kit?
Thinking about getting the Trident 2x24 8000 kit, although I am considering waiting until there is more information from forum members on this, cause I would like to know about 48 gig modules as well.
2023/05/07 15:08:00
lradunovic
Cpt.Derrek
lradunovic
I ordered Kingpin Z690 from Newegg. Do you know if the motherboard already has some bios version supporting 13900k preinstalled?

Thanks.

• Extract the contents of .zip file to USB flash drive (must be formatted as FAT32)
  • Rename the file "EVGAE6XX.bin", where XX is the last two digits of the part number (e.g. Z690 DARK K|NGP|N should be EVGAE699.bin)
    • In the case of the Z690 DARK K|NGP|N, if EVGAE699.bin doesn't work, please try EVGAE690.bin
  • Make sure to connect the 24pin power connector from your power supply to the motherboard. 
  • Hold the BIOS Update button on the rear I/O for approximately 2 seconds until the flash begins (the cursor on the POST LED will begin cycling)
  • The BIOS update may take approximately 5-7 minutes to complete.  When done, the board will restart.

Sounds too complicated. I have 12900k, did not sell yet. I will install that CPU first and flash bios, and then swap for 13900k
2023/05/07 17:45:17
Bee_Dee_3_Dee
lradunovic
Cpt.Derrek
lradunovic

Thanks.

Sounds too complicated. I have 12900k, did not sell yet. I will install that CPU first and flash bios, and then swap for 13900k

lradunovic,

ur very fortunate having a 12900K.

anyone else that isn't as fortunate, and agrees ^^ is too complicated maybe the following vid would help them... 

See: Khronos_18's Youtube vid from post #19 on this thread or just use the following link:
How to update bios Evga z690 Classified
^^ is worth a million words.

(TY! again Khronos_18. )

Edit: and note, he begins the vid saying that it is for both z690 Classified and Kingpin.
2023/05/10 11:09:05
yavorsky
Wanted to share my classified experience so far on this bios. 12900k with a lil overclock and everything is stable.

I had Windows Activation issues though and boy was that a headache. I'm convinced the help desk at Microsoft is useless when it comes to this type of issue. I've bought so many windows 11 licenses digitally and it's my last time doing that. I purchased a physical license as these BIOS updates keep wiping my digital license and reclaiming it has been impossible with Microsoft being no help.

Last thing I've seen is sometimes on a reboot I will get a message saying "memory has changed" and would I like to enter setup. Nothing has changed but it gets flagged once in a while.

Everything else is working wonderfully!
2023/05/10 21:39:35
Mr. Fox
I have been using v2.08 with zero issues of any kind. No problems flashing the new firmware and no issues with Windows 11 activation being lost. Completed flash in Windows after setting BIOS defaults. After flashing, did full shutdown and turned off power to PSU.

I did not notice any effect related to my Hynix A-die overclock settings (neither worse nor better) and no changes to memory settings was needed. In terms of the CPU behavior, quick stability testing indicated this update is inferior to v2.08. I believe the new micro-code is the actual fly in the ointment, but selecting older micro-code didn't produce a noticeable change in anything.

Z690 Dark - 13900K - 5.7-P, 4.7-E, 4.9 Cache and 8200 memory, with TPM, Virtualization, TVB, Secure Boot, Intel ME, WiFi/BT M.2 slot all disabled (my 24/7 daily driver settings) and found that values used on all prior BIOS versions were no longer ideal with the new firmware. Tinkered a bit to see if there was any reason to keep using the new firmware, but didn't identify one.
- CPU required at least 0.050V more vcore and dropping cache to 4.8, but was still less stable (failed AIDA64 stress test and Cinebench R23 crashing using same voltage as 2.08) 
- CPU ran hotter due to increased voltage needs (expected with the need for increased voltage)
- Boot time seemed a bit longer from cold boot

Went back to v2.08. Could not identify any benefit to using the new firmware. I had no problems that needed to be corrected using v2.08.
- I am not using, nor do I plan to purchase or have any need for, 24GB memory modules
- My A-die sticks are generic green Hynix modules (all manual overclock settings), so no XMP or Expo concerns to address
- Everything plays nice with my MSI 4090 Suprim X using old or current drivers on v2.08 so there was no need related to that

(Note: I have never tested sleep or hibernation on any BIOS version. I use my systems in one of two modes exclusively: everything powered on 100%, and everything powered off 100%. So, the sleep functionality doesn't matter to me.)

Love my Z690 Dark. My Z690 Apex is a pile of garbage in comparison to it. The Dark does everything better than the Apex.
2023/05/17 15:24:40
khatedral
@EVGA_Lee
Hi,

By any chance do you know if the PMIC MPS (Monolithic Power Systems) would be unlocked in future Bios releases for the Z690 Dark.
Running Bios 2.13

Having issues with a GPCB Kit 64GB - motherboard won't boot if memory voltage is more than 1.435v
DDR5 UDIMM 32GB 2Rx8 PC5-5600B-UB0-1010-XT
Module Part Number: HMCG88AGBUA084N
Module Manufacturer: SK Hynix
Memory Speed: 2800.0 MHz (DDR5-5600 / PC5-44800)
2023/05/19 01:20:28
klavmanian
Gamefever
EVGA_Lee
JOFAMIZU
Hello, i am a new to the forum, I want to buy the evga dark kingpin z690 but I want to know if it is also compatible with 48gb RAM modules for a maximum of 96gb.

I hope you can help me.

Thank you.

48GB modules have not been tested on our end to my knowledge.  Our MB team thinks they should work with the latest BIOS, but we can't guarantee compatibility at this time.

PC
EVGA z690 Dark Kingpin
CPU i9 12900K

Will it use 24 gig kit?
Thinking about getting the Trident 2x24 8000 kit, although I am considering waiting until there is more information from forum members on this, cause I would like to know about 48 gig modules as well.

I have the F5-8000J4048F24GX2-TZ5RK 2x24g kit and it works... kinda... It does not work at the rated XMP speeds, however, I can get it to run up to 7400mhz @ 1.35v. It will boot at 8000 just fine with XMP... but something like TestMem5 Extreme1 @anta777 will start throwing errors within a minute or so. This means that it's not hard-crashing... but I tried for several hours to bring some stability at that speed and wasn't able to. So for now I'm stuck at 7400mhz but am starting to strap down the timings to see where I can get with these 24g-m-dies.

I just don't think the Z690 board is capable of running at that speed to be completely honest. Unless there is something that can be done through a BIOS update, then I'm guessing that this is what the difference in layer count for the Z790 Dark is related to. There are seemingly very few difference between the two boards but the layer count likely contributes to better stability at higher frequency memory on the Z790 Dark. Would've been nice to know these limitations before buying but it's a good board none the less. I suppose this could also be down to the IMC in the CPU but I have tried a 12900k a 13900k and a 13900ks all with no dice so again, my guess is a motherboard limitation . Maybe someone from EVGA can help clear this up.
2023/05/19 11:27:59
cdc-951
klavmanian
Gamefever
EVGA_Lee
JOFAMIZU

I hope you can help me.

Thank you.

PC
EVGA z690 Dark Kingpin
CPU i9 12900K

Will it use 24 gig kit?

I have the F5-8000J4048F24GX2-TZ5RK 2x24g kit and it works... kinda... It does not work at the rated XMP speeds, however, I can get it to run up to 7400mhz @ 1.35v. It will boot at 8000 just fine with XMP... but something like TestMem5 Extreme1 @anta777 will start throwing errors within a minute or so. This means that it's not hard-crashing... but I tried for several hours to bring some stability at that speed and wasn't able to. So for now I'm stuck at 7400mhz but am starting to strap down the timings to see where I can get with these 24g-m-dies.

I just don't think the Z690 board is capable of running at that speed to be completely honest. Unless there is something that can be done through a BIOS update, then I'm guessing that this is what the difference in layer count for the Z790 Dark is related to. There are seemingly very few difference between the two boards but the layer count likely contributes to better stability at higher frequency memory on the Z790 Dark. Would've been nice to know these limitations before buying but it's a good board none the less. I suppose this could also be down to the IMC in the CPU but I have tried a 12900k a 13900k and a 13900ks all with no dice so again, my guess is a motherboard limitation . Maybe someone from EVGA can help clear this up.

Wondering the same thing... is z790 really that much better? If so why? The Apex is 10 layers.... and the Dark is 10 layers, yet the z790 apex wins in overclocks

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account