• EVGA Z690 Series
  • BIOS for Z690 DARK K|NGP|N (2.13) / CLASSIFIED (2.12) [Misc. Bug Fixes/24G DIMM support] (p.19)
2024/07/25 00:47:26
jll544
Bee_Dee_3_Dee
isn't it a microcode patch ur hoping for; that Intel will provide and u urself will DL from the Intel site; and then run it from within Windows/ reboot/ after 1st setting BIOS to default... to update?

Yes and no. Microcode updates are non-persistent, so they must be loaded every time the CPU boots up. That's why a BIOS update is the best way for them to be delivered. It can be done by Windows, but only very early in the startup process, generally not while the system is up and running.

MS/Intel have pushed microcode updates in the past for security issues, but nobody knows yet if they'll do it for this instability/degradation problem.
Previous examples here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/kb4093836-summary-of-intel-microcode-updates-08c99af2-075a-4e16-1ef1-5f6e4d8637c4
2024/07/26 02:43:42
Bee_Dee_3_Dee
jll544
Bee_Dee_3_Dee
isn't it a microcode patch ur hoping for; that Intel will provide and u urself will DL from the Intel site; and then run it from within Windows/ reboot/ after 1st setting BIOS to default... to update?

Yes and no. Microcode updates are non-persistent, so they must be loaded every time the CPU boots up. That's why a BIOS update is the best way for them to be delivered. It can be done by Windows, but only very early in the startup process, generally not while the system is up and running.

MS/Intel have pushed microcode updates in the past for security issues, but nobody knows yet if they'll do it for this instability/degradation problem.
Previous examples here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/kb4093836-summary-of-intel-microcode-updates-08c99af2-075a-4e16-1ef1-5f6e4d8637c4

yep. mb

i'm so old, when i saw the term "microcode"; i remembered things way back in 2006 days and before; and how it was easy to DL it from Intel site and run from floppy disk or run it within Windows because it was DOS days when RAM drives were created by executables when need be and pre-boot implementations could occur.
2024/07/29 11:32:01
gametheory
Intel just announced that they aren't issuing a recall...no surprise there..

I'll try in a week or two to maybe get an RMA from Intel and if EVGA doesn't mention any BIOS updates for this issue in the next couple of months, I'll probably buy a new board from a company with BIOS updates...
2024/07/29 12:57:15
B0baganoosh
With the adaptive under-volt I've been running the whole time, I haven't seen my voltage run that high and I haven't had any stability issues with my 10/2022 13900k. It probably helps that I keep it quite cool, but I definitely did a few high power runs going for benchmark improvements, so I suppose I'm pretty lucky. Most of the time it games at 80-150W-max. I'm guessing that the rate of susceptible CPUs was up and down during the whole production run and Intel not doing a great job mandating or controlling voltages with motherboard partners didn't help, but maybe I got a lucky one.

In any case, I have no hope for a BIOS update from EVGA (as they already said there wouldn't be another one), so I'm just going to leave well enough alone until there's an issue or something worth upgrading for comes out. I would have had to buy a new board for whatever that is anyway.
2024/08/09 14:01:01
jll544
According to Tom's HW, Intel will not be pushing the fixed microcode via Windows Update. Absolutely horrible decision, basically planned obsolescence. Most people (aside from enthusiasts) don't know anything about BIOS updates, so their CPUs will just keep cooking themselves to death.
2024/08/27 02:26:49
kk700
Hi,
Please forgive my very late to the party.

Is this BIOS 2.13 and those steps under "BIOS Installation Without CPU" applicable to a brand new Z690 DARK mobo (just with psu connected to the 24pin mobo and no other memory,cpu,ssd components installed)

After this update/flash, I can installed the 13900K and boot ? Is there any other steps in between the flash and install the cpu that I must carry out ?

Thanks

2024/08/27 06:27:32
badboy64
kk700
Hi,
Please forgive my very late to the party.

Is this BIOS 2.13 and those steps under "BIOS Installation Without CPU" applicable to a brand new Z690 DARK mobo (just with psu connected to the 24pin mobo and no other memory,cpu,ssd components installed)

After this update/flash, I can installed the 13900K and boot ? Is there any other steps in between the flash and install the cpu that I must carry out ?

Thanks

Yes it does. Yes to the 13900k too.
2024/08/27 19:32:34
LukeT32
So.... Safe assumption this board isn't going to get the Intel microcode update to stop the 13900k degradation issues huh. My first EVGA board and what a disaster this has been.....
2024/08/27 19:37:36
Sajin
LukeT32
So.... Safe assumption this board isn't going to get the Intel microcode update to stop the 13900k degradation issues huh. My first EVGA board and what a disaster this has been.....

I've been running the z690 dark kingpin with a 13900k @ motherboard defaults for 1.7 years. My cpu is still working. I've been using bios 2.03 the entire time. Don't trip.
2024/08/28 02:30:07
kk700
Hi, I follow the listed instruction and start the bios update, I think the process is failed. Basically after press the BIOS update button at the back of the IO panel, the POST LED start count down to C, then I release the button, the POST LED shows 13? or E1 (not sure how to attach image here) ? What should I do now ? Keep the mobo power on ? or Can power off and try again ? 

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account