• EVGA Z590 Series
  • Help me identify what device on the USB 3.2 controller failed
2023/02/22 06:56:54
flight_simmer
Hello all.

After a couple of Windows updates last week (specifically KB5022845 and KB5022497), I've started receiving a notification every time I boot my machine that states the last USB device I've plugged in failed to initialize and to unplug it / reconnect it. In device manager under the USB controllers section, I have an Unknown USB Device listed with error code 43 (Port Reset Failed). I've tried a multitude of things, including powering on my machine with no USB accessories connected (including the front panel connectors on my case), disabling fast startup, and I've even booted to a fresh Windows install on a separate drive, and I still receive the error. Most of the recommendations online have all pointed to some defective USB device that should be unplugged and plugged back in or some mysterious driver that needs to be updated. Unfortunately, I don't believe it is a defective external USB device, since booting without any of the 4 external devices I have still results in the notification and defective device in Device Manager. I also don't believe it's a defective driver, since booting to a completely fresh Windows 11 install also results in the same failure. In addition to booting to a separate Windows install, I've booted to the 2nd BIOS slot (which has everything set to defaults) with the same results.

I've downloaded an app called USB Device Tree Viewer in an effort to try to determine exactly what device is failing, but about the only extra information I can find is that it's a piece of hardware connected to the USB 3.2 host controller on port 19, and that it's failing enumeration. Since the device isn't being recognized at all, I can't find a proper vendor or device ID to point to. For reference, the built in Intel WiFi / Bluetooth adapter on my board is connected to port 14 on the same controller.

This is where I'm requesting your help. Would someone with a Z590 Dark board be so kind as to download the USB Device Tree Viewer app and see if you have a device connected to Port 19 on the USB 3.2 host controller? If so, what is that device? I'd like to identify what specific piece of hardware has failed on my board so I can determine if it's worthwhile going through the struggle of getting a new motherboard (I bought the board through Microcenter w/ the replacement warranty plan) or going through an RMA.

PC Specs:
EVGA Z590 Dark
Intel Core I9 10850K
32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro SL @ 3600
Samsung 960 EVO 500GB (Boot drive, NVME)
Samsung 980 PRO 1TB (Game drive, NVME)
Samsung 860 EVO 1TB (Storage, SATA)
Nvidia Geforce RTX 3090 FE

2023/02/22 07:05:05
transdogmifier
2023/02/22 07:21:53
flight_simmer
transdogmifier

generally it works..sometimes it doesn't.

Unfortunately, since the device is failing enumeration, those instructions won't work in my case. The device shows VID 0000 and PID 0001, which unfortunately isn't a valid vendor and product ID.
2023/02/22 08:03:26
rjohnson11
This almost sounds like you have a legacy USB device plugged into a USB 3.2 port. This should work, but sometimes it doesn't. Make sure your mouse and keyboard are plugged into the older USB ports and newer devices connected to USB 3.X ports. 
2023/02/22 08:20:46
flight_simmer
rjohnson11
This almost sounds like you have a legacy USB device plugged into a USB 3.2 port. This should work, but sometimes it doesn't. Make sure your mouse and keyboard are plugged into the older USB ports and newer devices connected to USB 3.X ports. 

I've been running my keyboard and mouse off the top USB ports (the USB 3.1 ports next to the combo PS/2 port) on the motherboard since building out my machine. I also receive the same error after rebooting with no external USB devices connected and only using RDP to control the PC.

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account