2022/09/25 07:29:35
rjohnson11
witty245
will evga be offering a cable like corsair

Corsair releases 12+4 pin 12VHPWR power connectors to upgrade their existing PSUs

Yes and the cable should be able to provide enough voltage but the 4 data pins are unused with ATX 2.0 PSUs. That is a concern for me. 
2022/09/26 10:44:32
Mystikalrush
rjohnson11
jonkrmr
Probably not since EVGA is not making any 4000 series or any other GPUs anymore.

I hope EVGA will make ATX 3.0 compatible power supplies with the PCIe GPU 12+4 pin connector. 

I would certainly think so. There are plenty of PSU manufactures that have nothing to do with GPUs. Its simply a standard to integrate into their product to make sales. I just hope EVGA will put ATX 3.0 PSUs on the shelf in time, is my concern.
2022/09/28 03:37:48
witty245
lets hope they will as if not i dont think evga will feature in any of my future builds what ashamed as their warranty service  alone was cause to pay extra 
2022/10/25 09:40:06
JDauwalter
So this cable https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=100-NK-3000-B9 will or will not work for a 4090? Do we have a 100% solid answer for this?
2022/10/25 10:16:49
frankd3
JDauwalter
So this cable https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=100-NK-3000-B9 will or will not work for a 4090? Do we have a 100% solid answer for this?

Answer is no.   https://forums.evga.com/FindPost/3578179
Discussed extensively in that thread but simple answer is the link above.
2022/10/25 10:47:45
EVGA_Lee
JDauwalter

No, it won't work.  It won't cause any harm to try, but the card won't turn on due to the lack of sense connectors.

Which is probably why it's a good thing we're working on a cable that can work with 40 Series....
2022/10/25 15:01:15
alceryes
the_Scarlet_one
I’ve already done a tear down of the 3x8 pin to show that in the end, there is only two cables worth of wires connected to the 12 pin side. The quantity of cables powering the card with 3 connectors versus two does not change, there is still only 12 cables overall going to the 12 pin. This is why the PerFE cable works fine for the 3090ti and will likely be exactly the same for the 4090.

Changing the male connector to a smaller pin, and the female connector to a smaller pin isn’t going to suddenly make a 16awg wire handled hundreds of watt as more. 12 cables is 12 cables, no matter how you look at it. Two 6 pins from the PerFE cable is going to be the same as 12 cables from a 12 pin. The only difference from the Standard 8 pin and the PerFE cable is that instead of 5 ground and 3 positive, you are getting 3 ground and 3 positive like the 12 pin uses respectively. The 4 sense pins are just ground for the card to think it has a 12 pin, there isn’t actual information exchange to tell the GPU or PSU that the proper hardware is being used.

NVidia patented a connector so the change they wanted to see, and changed the rating of the same size cable that was already in use. As long as you have a sufficient power supply, you should be perfectly fine.

The quantity of 8-pin cables powering the 12+4 pin adapter definitely matters. Those 8-pin cables are only rated at 150W each. Using less then all of them could mean that you are using the 8-pin cables out of their 150W spec.
Does the PerFE cable have sense pins? You definitely need the sense pins for the RTX 4090. Different combinations of two sense pins being open or grounded tell the GPU whether the 12+4 pin cable is rated at 150W, 300W, 450W, or 600W. Without any sense pins the card sees a 150W cable and won't even work with the RTX 4090.
2022/10/25 15:50:48
the_Scarlet_one
alceryes
The quantity of 8-pin cables powering the 12+4 pin adapter definitely matters. Those 8-pin cables are only rated at 150W each. Using less then all of them could mean that you are using the 8-pin cables out of their 150W spec.
Does the PerFE cable have sense pins? You definitely need the sense pins for the RTX 4090. Different combinations of two sense pins being open or grounded tell the GPU whether the 12+4 pin cable is rated at 150W, 300W, 450W, or 600W. Without any sense pins the card sees a 150W cable and won't even work with the RTX 4090.

Feel free to argue this point all you want. Again, the 8 pins are rated for a 2008 spec. That doesn’t stop users from under-specced or under-rated PSU with four 8 pins.

You are arguing a completely moot point. The 12 pin is using two 6 pins in a smaller format, and a higher rating. Nothing more. The sense pins can be tricked by grounding them anyway possible. The sense pins are not smart and do not know what is actually happening.

The PerFE cable only uses two 6 pins. The other two spots on each “8 pin” are empty.

The Corsair cables for the 4090 only use 6 power cables from each “8pin” and the. Two grounds to sense pin. That is still only two 6 pins providing power to the 4090. Feel free to argue that however you want, but NVidia and PCI-sig are LITERALLY covering their bums with lies and “specs”. The four 8 pins are combined together on single rails, and still only have twelve 16awg cables providing power with two sense pins for ground. The four 8 pin cable does have a smart availing to send a signal and say “three” or “four” cables are connected. Guess what. If you only connected three cables on each of those 8 pins, the plugs wouldn’t have an idea, because all of the power cables going into the octopus are joined together on a single rail.

Again, feel free to argue moot points, but it will fall on deaf ears because it doesn’t matter what you argue while the PSU manufacturers have already shown it does.. not.. matter.
2022/10/26 06:17:42
alceryes
the_Scarlet_one
Feel free to argue this point all you want. Again, the 8 pins are rated for a 2008 spec. That doesn’t stop users from under-specced or under-rated PSU with four 8 pins.

You are arguing a completely moot point. The 12 pin is using two 6 pins in a smaller format, and a higher rating. Nothing more. The sense pins can be tricked by grounding them anyway possible. The sense pins are not smart and do not know what is actually happening.

The PerFE cable only uses two 6 pins. The other two spots on each “8 pin” are empty.

The Corsair cables for the 4090 only use 6 power cables from each “8pin” and the. Two grounds to sense pin. That is still only two 6 pins providing power to the 4090. Feel free to argue that however you want, but NVidia and PCI-sig are LITERALLY covering their bums with lies and “specs”. The four 8 pins are combined together on single rails, and still only have twelve 16awg cables providing power with two sense pins for ground. The four 8 pin cable does have a smart availing to send a signal and say “three” or “four” cables are connected. Guess what. If you only connected three cables on each of those 8 pins, the plugs wouldn’t have an idea, because all of the power cables going into the octopus are joined together on a single rail.

Again, feel free to argue moot points, but it will fall on deaf ears because it doesn’t matter what you argue while the PSU manufacturers have already shown it does.. not.. matter.

Not arguing, just a discussion.
I didn't know that the PerFE cable had sense pins. If they have properly configured sense pins then yes, the cable will work. However, it only takes a glance on NVIDIA reddit to see that the EVGA PerFE cable is NOT working with some RTX 4090 cards. Of couse the sense pins don't send any logic. As I stated above, it's a combination of open (no grounded) and closed (grounded) that the GPU reads to know what the 12+4pin is rated for. Sense pins being grounded (by going against the 12VHPWR spec) and sense pins not being there are two different things. Here is how it's supposed to work -

I never said that the GPU would know how many 8-pins are connected. The GPU's knowledge of the number of 8-pins connected is limited to the configuration of the 2 sense pins (the 2 extra pins will be used for signaling in the future). The card can be tricked into thinking it's a 600W rated connection very easily and mfgs. are already doing this. It's more an issue of running an 8-pin over their rated wattage when using less than all 4. Some PSUs and cables will be able to handle this without issue, others won't.

Edit - Ugh. Still can't post pics and links. Check out Gamers Nexus video from 6 days ago on the 4090 adapter. At about the 8:15 mark he shows the scematic that Igor's Lab came up with regarding the sense pins.
2022/10/26 18:19:46
the_Scarlet_one
https://forums.evga.com/FindPost/3573703

Shows how the sense pins are set up, from over a month ago. I understand the 4090 layout is a little different because the sense goes to the +2 side, where the 3090ti was going into the 12 pin, but the layout is exactly the same for how they work. The only difference is you can see the actual circuits and actual sense board without having to imagine the circuitry. For some reason, everyone likes drawing rather than actually seeing the PCB for themselves, and reviewers refuse to tear the cable apart to actually see what is going on. But hey, if you prefer line art over actual pcbs, go for it, and your image link works, but you posted it wrong. Your link has to end in .jpg, so right click (or long press if I’m mobile) and open image in a new tab. If you are posting straight to Imgur.com as a image link, it will never work, it’s a forum limitation that we have to work around as the image link has to be to an actual image, not a website.

The PerFE cables don’t have sense pins. I never stated the PerFE cables did have sense pins, I actually said they only have two 6 pin cables to make 12. For sense pins, there would be 7 cables per 8 pin not 6.

The Corsair cables have 7 pins, making two 6 pins with an extra ground to sense.

NVidia has built a smart cable that works exactly the same as dumb cables, but can limit your power cap. Nothing more. Even NVidia cut the actual data sense pins off and just left dead wires in their stupid connector.

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account