2022/08/28 06:03:08
RAVENEVGA
I've been enjoying my new system for awhile now...playing lots of games, actually being able to watch 1080 and even 1440 Youtube.  

There are a couple of quirks I've noticed.  Recently, when the system is booting up, before the Z690 title screen, the screen shows "9C".   After title screen, of course, it goes to the Windows login.

The second quirk,...sometimes, when I start up the system, I'll get 6 beeps,...and when that happens, the keyboard won't work.  I have to reach around to the back, unplug the cord, plug it back in, then it works.  

Comments?
2022/08/28 07:38:20
the_Scarlet_one
Check the bios USB settings for the keyboard. Sometimes I have noticed that the bios will be set to start some USB devices but not all. You can set the bios to activate all USB devices which should help with that.

Is 9C on cold/fresh boot by any chance? Or is it after a reboot?
2022/08/28 09:31:00
Bee_Dee_3_Dee
RAVENEVGA
I've been enjoying my new system for awhile now...playing lots of games, actually being able to watch 1080 and even 1440 Youtube.  

There are a couple of quirks I've noticed.  Recently, when the system is booting up, before the Z690 title screen, the screen shows "9C".   After title screen, of course, it goes to the Windows login.

The second quirk,...sometimes, when I start up the system, I'll get 6 beeps,...and when that happens, the keyboard won't work.  I have to reach around to the back, unplug the cord, plug it back in, then it works.  

Comments?

sup five months gone by already?

i was just thinking about Operating System Resources on my old HTPC and how it would have been cool to explain monitoring and diagnosing them with Windows Task Manager with u. (i used to get them all the way to up 100% back in the old Windows 98 days. Now a days 99% is the max.)

Ur keyboard not working is normal.
Example: (not verbatim but hopefully close enough.)
1. U press the Power Button with the PC completely off.
2. It starts Booting and the Keyboard's LEDs light-up.
3. u get to the EVGA Welcome Screen (i forget what it's called mine has been disabled for months.)
4. U let the PC continue to boot.
5. Then it is correct for the Keyboard's LED Lights to go out.

i forget when the Beeps occur. But all should be fine as far as ur Keyboard goes.

Next, the 9C. Well u know this is my 1st EVGA board too. And i know u know to search Manual. But i'll look now anyways... it says (like u found too) "9C = USB Detect".  So it sounds like u have probly plugged in some new USB devices recently. Or changed the USB ports they were plugged into and that made a difference.

ok bak to my HTPC and work on its EPG.

c ya!
2022/08/28 11:29:36
Cool GTX
turn Off fast Boot in BIOS, if you have not already done so
2022/08/28 11:42:12
Hoggle
What PSU do you use? I am wondering if it's a load issue.
2022/08/29 20:24:39
RAVENEVGA
Hey guys.  Thanks for the replies.  Bee, yes it has been a fast 5 months!  

Anyway, not sure about the "9C".  Not anything that really does anything, just something I noticed.  

As for the USB devices, not sure.  I do have a couple of wireless "dongles" plugged into the back USB ports for mouse and headset.  But I can have nothing changed, and will get the "9C".  I mostly just ignore it.

On the occasional time when I get the 6 beeps, and the keyboard not working, where I have to unplug it and plug it back in,...it only does it on rare occasions.  I'm not sure what the causal factor is.  After I plug it back in, it works fine.  

Now, today, I did get a system freeze.  Probably a fluke.  \

Cool GTX, Fast Boot is off in BIOS.

Hoggle, I have my PSU listed in below, but it is:  EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G5
2022/08/30 03:51:39
Bee_Dee_3_Dee
RAVENEVGA,

i didn't realize u were having to unplug and re-plug ur KB... so, u must be talking about needing to do so, when ur in Windows, right?

i'm curious if ur KB always works before getting into Windows. (with the exception of the normal time the LEDs go out. i wonder if my NumLock lite works during that time... i'm going to go test it, after this post is done, and edit this post with the results, because it would be a good thing to know. a nice litmus test.)

And note: any time that rare occasion(s) occur, problem-solving-wise, it's a good time -- like u are on this thread -- to start finding a solution. because it can/might/maybe not hopefully, get worse, and it's best to find the solution early on.

it sounds like a software driver problem. but it could also be a hardware problem. or even both because one can be caused by the other. It's less likely that a software driver problem degrades hardware but it possible and it's more likely that failing hardware degrades software drivers. so long story short, get the latest drivers and of course read at the manufactures site about newer drivers if they exist and be sure installation protocols are followed perfectly. maybe ur existing drivers for KB were not installed correctly and maybe ur using legacy driver from Microsoft (m$) and that a no no. especially if the KB only fails in Windows.

after getting everything working five months ago, did u ever have to unplug/re-plug the KB for it to work, or never?

if yes ^^, has the rarity of unplugging/re-plugging the KB for it to work, stayed consistent, or has it increased, ever so slightly, and what was the rate of the said increased frequency?

GL and BRB after litmus test

Edit: "NumLock key/light" doesn't work when LED light on KB are out while booting. and i tried the old PauseBreak key trick too. Meaning, when LED lights on KB are out while booting, i struck the "PauseBreak key" a single time and doing so did not pause booting. If KB is active (working) sometimes "PauseBreak key" can pause the boot process. Doing so is cool for being able to read large amounts of text before it flashes by; but more with a Legacy BIOS and doesn't happen with UEFI like we have. i wonder if it is ever applicable with UEFI. it's got to be sometime. 
2022/08/30 13:59:41
RAVENEVGA
I am using the EVGA Z15 keyboard.  Right now, it is currently "working",....but none of the lights are.  Not the RGB,....not the LEDs that indicate whether you are Cap Locks or Num Locks on.  It is very weird.  

Unplugging it, and plugging it back in, now the lights all work.

BTW, what driver are you suggesting I download?
2022/08/31 05:37:45
Bee_Dee_3_Dee
RAVENEVGA
I am using the EVGA Z15 keyboard.  Right now, it is currently "working",....but none of the lights are.  Not the RGB,....not the LEDs that indicate whether you are Cap Locks or Num Locks on.  It is very weird.  

u have Windows 11, right?

https://www.evga.com/support/download/

from ^^ after clicking on view, under notes, u'll see:
https://www.evga.com/support/download/showdlinfo.aspx?id=18901&type=other

And as far as everything EVGA Z15 KB support-wise:

EVGA Gaming Keyboards

GL

2022/08/31 07:54:15
Mienko
RAVENEVGA

I have this problem as well, but assumed it was because I was using a Drop ALT keyboard with a cable longer than 6' (this keyboard's notorious for needing more power).  I regularly do the USB disco/reco shuffle on boot.

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account