• MODS RIGS
  • New Z690 / 3090 KPE / WC MO-RA 420 / EK build is here!!
2022/08/15 14:59:24
redteamgo
Very excited.  by my calculation, this will get me up to about 170fps from 155fps in BF4   Going to try to get it done in the next week or two.  Everyone is still doing RGB but I'm still an all black stealth build kind of guy.  this build is going to kick some major butt.

• 3090 KPE hydrocopper
  • gskill 6600 ddr5
  • z690 kingpin
  • EK quantum magnitude CPU block black/acetel
  • EVGA 1600 platinum
  • noctuas galore
  • EPDM soft tube / EK fittings... black :)

Only thing left to pick is the case, pump and radiators.  The case kind of drives the radiator selections.  Ideally, I'd like a tiny case with external rads.  maybe even a dual loop.  But It looks like there just arent a lot of case options to fit the Z690 board.  unless I go completely open test bench.  Seems like the possibilities are O11XL, Define 7 XL, Enthoo Pro, 7000D, 1000D

I am leaning towards the Fractal Define 7 XL or the Enthoo.  With how big these mbs are, there really just arent a lot of options.  I kind of want to get the case and test fit the board before I buy rads so I can measure the exact head room this go around.  rather than end up with a more for the parts bin.

Definitely open to thoughts and suggestions.  Pics coming once I get all the goodies.
2022/08/15 15:59:04
Chaos_21
Looking forward to some pics of the new build. 
2022/08/16 15:44:13
redteamgo
Thanks Chaos, will do.

Might have to settle for lesser ram.  I ordered Trident Z5 6600 on amazon but now they say it wont be delivered until October :(  Got a lesser ddr5 Trident Z5 6000 kit in stock from newegg in the mean time so this build isnt just sitting.  This is the one I wanted.. 

If anyone knows where to grab that elsewhere, please let me know.  Amazon shows it as "ships from amazon" but its not actually in stock... doesn't seem like anyone has the matte black RGB .  I'd prefer the non-RGB but that only comes in 6400

https://www.gskill.com/product/165/374/1648539359/F5-6600J3440G16GX2-TZ5RK-F5-6600J3440G16GA2-TZ5RK

Also.. went with the Define 7 XL.  Maybe I'll do a dual loop... decisions decisions :)
2022/08/16 21:46:39
charlesborner
Dude, if you're going after a Define XL, you can stuff a 480mm Rad into the top OR front of the thing.
Stick a 420mm in there with three nice Noctua 140mms and call it a done deal.
If that's not QUITE enough rad space for you, stick a 280 up front.
Sticking with 140mm-multiuple setups gives you maximum airflow and surface area, as well as lower overall noise and fewer fans.

Note: Common wisdom is 2x120mm per device being cooled on your loop.
For CPU + GPU, you're looking at 480mm.   A 480mm rad works out to 57,600 square mm.

However, a 420mm rad works out to 58,800 square mm.
So it'll work roughly the same as a 480mm for your requirements.

Last year, I had a big chunk of my build budget slashed by some unexpected bills.
So I wound up going with a 420mm Alphacool AIO setup instead.
Not as spiffy as the hard tube setup I was planning.  But was a fraction of the price.

And as I mentioned, whatever you wind up doing, dump default fans in the system for Noctuas.
If you hate the doo doo brown, go with the Reduxes.

Totally
Worth
It

2022/08/17 00:02:45
rjohnson11
Looking forward to pictures of this mod!
2022/08/20 07:42:07
redteamgo
charlesborner
Dude, if you're going after a Define XL, you can stuff a 480mm Rad into the top OR front of the thing.
Stick a 420mm in there with three nice Noctua 140mms and call it a done deal.
If that's not QUITE enough rad space for you, stick a 280 up front.
Sticking with 140mm-multiuple setups gives you maximum airflow and surface area, as well as lower overall noise and fewer fans.

Note: Common wisdom is 2x120mm per device being cooled on your loop.
For CPU + GPU, you're looking at 480mm.   A 480mm rad works out to 57,600 square mm.

However, a 420mm rad works out to 58,800 square mm.
So it'll work roughly the same as a 480mm for your requirements.

Last year, I had a big chunk of my build budget slashed by some unexpected bills.
So I wound up going with a 420mm Alphacool AIO setup instead.
Not as spiffy as the hard tube setup I was planning.  But was a fraction of the price.

And as I mentioned, whatever you wind up doing, dump default fans in the system for Noctuas.
If you hate the doo doo brown, go with the Reduxes.

Totally
Worth
It

definitely going with the reduxes.  I am pretty disappointed to see that the EKWB rads are now white/black two tone only instead of just black  (https://www.performance-pcs.com/water-cooling/radiators/ek-quantum-surface-s480-black.html).  Has anyone seen these rads in person?  or is that an RGB surface?  if so, any recommendations on what plain black 480 rad is the best right now?  480 on top is ideal because it will give the RAM and VRM more clearance but not opposed to 420.. just need to test fit once the ram is here to decide.

I did get my case, the define 7 XL.  The Gskill 6600 ddr5 actually worked out.  Its on the way.  The lesser kit can be returned so thats good.  really just need fans, fittings and a rad to get this show on the road.   I have a spare TBE 150 pump/res.  I kind of want to get the FLT 240.

Wish I had time to do this earlier this summer, hate to have parts just sitting around waiting.  next weekend!

2022/08/21 05:19:23
redteamgo
Looks like I can fit a coolstream 240 in push pull in the bottom intake

If I get a slim 480 for the top, i should be able to do push pull there.  I'd rather get the 420 for the top but it looks like the EK coolstreams are discontinued and all thats left is marked up 480s
2022/08/21 05:56:53
redteamgo
Ugh, I'm returning this case.  top frame is damaged and bent pretty badly.  that just doesnt fly for $270.  i guess newegg really is that bad these days.  clearly they sent out a dinged RMA for NIB
2022/08/21 09:04:15
rjohnson11
redteamgo
Ugh, I'm returning this case.  top frame is damaged and bent pretty badly.  that just doesnt fly for $270.  i guess newegg really is that bad these days.  clearly they sent out a dinged RMA for NIB

Sorry to hear this. I hope that issue can be corrected soon. 
2022/08/21 09:26:54
redteamgo
rjohnson11
redteamgo

Sorry to hear this. I hope that issue can be corrected soon. 

all good, thank you.  just a hiccup.  i have a test bench I can warm this bad boy up on :P

I am thinking about calling Fractal to ask for replacement parts rather than dealing with newegg.  The main frame is actually OK.  But the top removable frame is bent from the box being dropped and some little stuff is missing.  the bottom filter clip tolerances don't retain the filter properly either.  there just arent a ton of cases that can hold the z690 dark though and I don't like the 5 1/4 drive bay slot showing on the front.

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account