2022/07/01 19:07:16
XrayMan

I'm going to take the Laptop to a computer repair shop tomorrow, to see if it can be fixed.
2022/07/03 12:13:37
XrayMan

It's in the repair shop. Will take a few days. Hopefully it will be fixed. Hopefully they won't charge a lot of money either.
2022/07/05 11:13:18
BizSAR
Let us know what it was and how much it cost.
2022/07/07 19:27:29
XrayMan
BizSAR
Let us know what it was and how much it cost.

They can't fix it, because no battery will charge on that laptop. I can try 20 batteries, and it still won't work. The motherboard is faulty. I'll only be able to use it with the power brick plugged into the wall outlet. I'll have to do this until some day I get another laptop. It would cost the price of a new laptop to change the motherboard. Not worth it.
2022/07/07 20:54:40
BizSAR
Well, the charging circuit isn't faulty so much as it has likely just worn out. Our laptops have well outlived their warranty. It makes me want to check the battery in mine to make sure it's not swelling.
2022/07/07 21:22:05
XrayMan
BizSAR
Well, the charging circuit isn't faulty so much as it has likely just worn out. Our laptops have well outlived their warranty. It makes me want to check the battery in mine to make sure it's not swelling.

Mine didn't swell at all. Only the charging system on the motherboard went bad.
2022/07/07 21:38:46
BizSAR
XrayMan
BizSAR

Mine didn't swell at all. Only the charging system on the motherboard went bad.

With an aging charging system, I'm thinking you got lucky on that one.
2022/07/08 09:51:21
Cool GTX
If the socket is "loose" maybe a quick touch with a soldering pen on the key spots

Does this charger have the "smart wire" dead center in the charging cord?  My HP had an issue where it got bent enough to stop full insertion of the charger - laptop would only charge if powered Off.   I took a small "stirring" straw & straightened the wire & fixed it

However if the charging circuit has a fail chip .... no hope, if it is part of the MB ... unless you want to gamble on eBay

Worth a shot 50/50 chance it works:  How to Charge Your Laptop With USB-C: Your Questions Answered
2022/07/08 19:25:18
XrayMan

It has to be the chip. This repair shop tried to do what they could. (No Charge). I'll just have to use it only with the power brick. I'll eventually get a new Laptop. Until then I'll just have to deal with this problem. Sad though that this limits my options. Would be nice to travel with it without having to have it plugged in to use it every time.
2022/07/16 20:07:23
smithdws1
I removed my battery; both the original and the RMA replacement had batteries that swelled up. Unfortunately, the warranty ran out and the one they sent me has a bad video out; both the HDMI and mini display port no longer function properly. If I had known it was just a faulty battery design, I'd have just removed the battery  and used it as a workstation. Now, I have no battery and it's worse performance than the replacement they shipped me. I'd really like to get ahold of one that had a broken screen; I could then swap the MB or screen and I'm back in business.  

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account