2022/06/22 07:16:07
speshulk926
I've pretty much used my GPU for 5 years straight.  This morning I turned on my PC and it was making an EXTREMELY loud noise.  After researching it for a bit, I realized my pump may have finally gone out.  I tried multiple configurations and my radiator has always been above my card (mounted to the back of the case).  Even still, I moved it around, tried to get it working and the card just wasn't cooling, even idle.  

I read on a few other posts that the Kraken G12 is a replacement kit for this card, but I noticed that there is a copper plate on what appears to be the VRAM.  The main part of the AIO is beveled and looks to be sitting on the plate and the GPU.  If I get the Kraken, it appears that I can only get a flat surface AIO.  I am assuming the copper plate is necessary, but don't know that for sure.  Has anyone else replaced it and did it work?
2022/06/27 01:39:27
SadCapriSonne
Hey, 

that's the problem with hybrid cards.

I would definitely advice to extend the warranty when buying a hybrid card new because the pump will eventually fail.
EVGA should just sell replacement aios for their cards.

The copper plate you mentioned is for memory cooling. It's not necessary but directly cooling the memory with it is highly recommended. 

If you use the G12 you need to glue heatsinks to the Memory Chips and VRMs because it does not actively cool these components and will not work with the origninal VRM Heatsink or memory cooling plate. Also it looks hideous. 
The G12 is neither fish nor fowl.

My recommendation would be to try and find a replacment hybrid aio on the used market or go custom watercooling with a full cover waterblock.

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account