2022/05/26 01:53:44
va02stephen
So I have just fitted the card yesterday had a play with it with its original 400w bios and could get it to draw 395w so I then flashed the 450w bios the power slider now goes to 118% but it still limits around 400w most I have seen is 405w and then get power limit, I have seen a few posts on this forum relating to the same issue,

I don't really need 450w but it would just be nice to know it works and it's there if one day I do decide to start pushing things and need it this isn't a case that the card dosent need that power as I have tried to force it to pull more with very Intensive loads and it just will not do it

Has anyone solved this yet?
2022/05/26 09:14:41
kraade
If you just push the slider tp 118% and run something using the card , it won't just try to pull 450w because it can. Punch up +90 on the clock +1000 on the memory, turn you fans up to 90% and 100 on the voltage slider then open Kombustor and tell me what you get, probably around 432w but you might be happier inside . I think the max on a card I had was about 408 in port royal and 418 on TS extreme, but Kombustor always pulled the most.
2022/05/26 10:10:57
ty_ger07
kraade
If you just push the slider tp 118% and run something using the card , it won't just try to pull 450w because it can. Punch up +90 on the clock +1000 on the memory, turn you fans up to 90% and 100 on the voltage slider then open Kombustor and tell me what you get, probably around 432w but you might be happier inside . I think the max on a card I had was about 408 in port royal and 418 on TS extreme, but Kombustor always pulled the most.

And if the perfcap reason is "pwr", then what? Perfcap reason shouldn't be "pwr" below expected power limit. That is what the complaint is. You shouldn't have to find some special condition where you are able to use more of the power you are expecting to be able to use. That is what the complaint is.
Jacob said a year ago that he would look into it, but then never came back with anything.
2022/05/26 10:16:55
Audioboxer
kraade

Yes it will if it's power limited. If you try to run these 3080 10GB cards at any voltage near the max of 1.1v, or try to maintain something like 2100mhz and run a game like Metro Exodus with RT, the card will be hugely power limited not being able to go above 400w and you'll see frequency/voltage crater to compensate. Even if you have a ridiculous amount of thermal overhead left.

I run at 3440x1440p, so not even 4K, and Metro Exodus with RTing can continually kiss the 400w limit in some scenes. I imagine at 4K it's even more painful.

As far as I'm aware other manufacturers 10GB 3080 cards have no issues drawing up to 450w in games if power is the limiting factor. The EVGA 3080 FTW3 10GB has a design flaw EVGA are obviously staying quiet about as it could result in a mass of RMAs/requests for a recall. So they'll just hide behind the technicality of "spec is what we sell it as" rather than the way a 3 pin graphics card will normally work with a BIOS that has a higher power limit.

The 12GB EVGA card works fine, as does the 3080Ti. So they changed something. I believe there was issues with the original 3090 as well.

I'm watercooled with a lot of radiator space and my card runs at 37~40 degrees up to 400w depending on ambient. I simply cannot get above 400w on a 450w BIOS, card won't draw it due to power balancing issues. It's not drawing enough from the PCIe slot and it's not using power connection 3 to its full capacity. It goes to typical limits on pin 1 pin 2 and then the power delivery system seems to choke and thinks it can't supply anything else from the PCIe slot or pin 3 when it actually can.

EVGA won't answer questions about this so it's left to speculation what exactly has caused this design issue.
2022/05/26 13:41:30
AHowes
The whole reason to wait for reviews on the next round of cards to be sure which card to buy.. not just the highest model from evga.
2022/05/26 14:35:58
HeavyHemi
I'm not sure what the problem is when the advertised power draw of this GPU as originally as marketed and sold is 320 watts
https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=10G-P5-3897-KL

That EVGA optionally allows a higher power target BIOS to be flashed than the default, and some GPU's are not able to draw UP TO the maximum... well just seems the (bad) luck of the draw.

https://forums.evga.com/EVGA-GeForce-RTX-3080-FTW3-XOC-BIOS-m3118560.aspx

The design issue is the GPU was designed for 320 watts, not 450 watts. Surprise surprise.... might be some issues with power balancing when attempting to draw another ~40% power from the same PWM.

2022/05/26 14:45:17
Audioboxer
HeavyHemi
I'm not sure what the problem is when the advertised power draw of this GPU as originally as marketed and sold is 320 watts
https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=10G-P5-3897-KL

That EVGA optionally allows a higher power target BIOS to be flashed than the default, and some GPU's are not able to draw UP TO the maximum... well just seems the (bad) luck of the draw.

https://forums.evga.com/EVGA-GeForce-RTX-3080-FTW3-XOC-BIOS-m3118560.aspx

The design issue is the GPU was designed for 320 watts, not 450 watts. Surprise surprise.... might be some issues with power balancing when attempting to draw another ~40% power from the same PWM.

Why did they go with a 3 pin design then? Almost as if they fixed the issue with the 12GB model and 3080Ti. Why bother doing that when the 12GB model at least is sold under the same spec.
2022/05/26 20:16:58
kraade
Not for nothing , there's 14 pages of conspiracy about the great under preforming 3080 450 watt XOC bios and 0 pages of people complaining my Kingpin wont hit 1000 watts on the 1000 watt bios, go figure 
2022/05/26 20:24:31
ty_ger07
kraade
Not for nothing , there's 14 pages of conspiracy about the great under preforming 3080 450 watt XOC bios and 0 pages of people complaining my Kingpin wont hit 1000 watts on the 1000 watt bios, go figure 

Because one has a perfcap reason of pwr, and one doesn't. People only care when the perfcap reason is pwr and it shouldn't be. Go figure.
It has nothing to do with trying to force the card to be inefficient. It has everything to do with the card being neutered for no apparent reason.
2022/05/27 00:13:13
AHowes
ty_ger07
kraade

Because one has a perfcap reason of pwr, and one doesn't. People only care when the perfcap reason is pwr and it shouldn't be. Go figure.
It has nothing to do with trying to force the card to be inefficient. It has everything to do with the card being neutered for no apparent reason.

AMEN!

Maybe next round, Evga should just have 1-2 cards per model. Then their won't be a reason to limit the performance.

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account