2022/05/10 23:21:36
rjohnson11
https://www.techpowerup.com/294750/valve-antitrust-class-action-lawsuit-allowed-to-proceed

A federal judge in Seattle has recently ruled that the antitrust class-action lawsuit brought against Valve by Wolfire Games over their Steam Key Price Parity Provision can proceed. The Key Price Parity Provision is a policy that prohibits game developers from pricing their games cheaper on competing storefronts such as the Epic Games Store even if they offer lower fees. The judge noted that Valve "relies on provisions within Steamworks Documentation to impose conditions on how non-Steam-enabled games are sold and priced." and that "Valve also threatens game publishers with punitive action, including removal of their Steam-enabled games, if they sell non-Steam-enabled versions of those games at lower prices,". The ruling states that allegations of the company exploiting it's market dominance to threaten and retaliate against developers were "sufficient to plausibly allege unlawful conduct". This decision will allow for a class-action lawsuit to be brought against Valve.

I hope this lawsuit changes the way game pricing is allowed by developers. 
2022/05/12 13:06:57
yaymz
Sounds like they signed a deal and didn't read the fine print.  Always consult with legal if you don't understand the fine print or "lawyer speak" in contracts.

Also, They are looking at this the wrong way.. sell the games at a higher price point to the other distributors especially if they don't have the reach or volume that Steam brings.  Steam/Epic/Everyone else all have different margin requirements and operating costs.
2022/05/12 14:20:53
lastsamurairick
Yes this sounds like someone did not do there due diligence in reading fine print. I am interested to see this reach a judgement to read outcome. Will see

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account