2022/04/27 05:55:21
harley262
so you are using 3 or 6 sticks of 4gb but at startup the bios only sees 8gb. and cpuz shows more ram total but in the wrong locations (if you have 3 of 6)?
ive had that issue with three of the six x58 mb ive been using in the last six months when swapping out cpu. one was a bad stick of ram, but the other two i pulled the cpu, blew out the socket and cleaned the cpu pads and reinstalled and that fixed them for now.
cant you just flash your bios chip with a current safe one?
2022/04/27 15:52:04
MadmanMac
was populated w 6. now running just 2. CPUz could see all. bios cannot although it did see them at one point. Bios is up to date for the FTW3 TR revision board w EVGA bios. I flashed custom bios out as soon as I saw multiple settings unavailable and couldn't comfirm where it came from. (after confirming the board looked exactly like it did in images of this board from EVGA site) Neither multiple linux dev  nor Win10 see past the first 8.

When I was first given this board I gave it a thorough once over including a sonic bath of 97% rubbing alcohol (built the sonic cleaner myself so I didn't have to pay exorbitant prices for something that may be needed to hold larger objects) to clean. ram sticks were brand new (Teamgroup) 12800 CL11. I have swapped through all sticks in the first dimm slots they are all good just no response in the other 4 slots. 

The processor is questionable as it is a refurb, and mem controller is on chip if I read specs right. hence ordering a replacement. I went through over an hour w a tech from EVGA (bearing in mind old board and he was having to recall stuff from memory)

I'm kinda loathe to physically go at the dimm slots, as I'm not sure what I would use to clean them w/o the risk of damaging. suggestions would be appreciated.
2022/04/27 18:45:58
harley262
if youve cleaned and reseated the cpu then a new cpu is next step. i blow out with canned air then gently a toothbrush and ispropanol to clean the dimms.
2022/04/27 19:06:02
MadmanMac
DAMN! I must be slipping in my old age....Never even thought of a toothbrush...and I pride myself on thinking outside the box (Mac is short for a longer more popular name)...IE " a box...you mean there's a box?"

That is one thing I didn't do was a physical cleaning of the processor's contacts. Just a physical inspection in which they all appeared clean. it is possible something not visable to the naked eye is corrupting signal transfer. I'll check that when the other processor gets here. Curios if a few rubs w a q tip dipped in acetone will hurt the contact side of the processor...maybe flux or want not is sealing one of them.

As to the issue of the software glitch or whatever is stopping the Elitex from running that is still an issue but I'll wait till I test the fix on the memory issue as it may be the culprit.  still wondering though Harley, have you been using an I class processor or a Xeon? I'm wondering if it doesn't like the Xeon architecture vs an I5 or I7... I don't have any of those to test the theory as they are still an arm and a leg...at least to me. a refurbed/used Xeon is 12-60 bucks and they take much better to overclocking anyway.
2022/04/27 20:21:15
harley262
i have x56xx and w36xx xeons that ive been using. and cleaning the pads i use a qtip and isopropanol. 
2022/04/27 22:41:45
HeavyHemi
I've always used a standard #2 pencil eraser for both DIMM contacts and pads on an intel processor.
2022/04/28 05:23:06
harley262
HeavyHemi
I've always used a standard #2 pencil eraser for both DIMM contacts and pads on an intel processor.

thats a good idea, ill have to go to the dollar store and get an eraser.
2022/05/14 13:50:43
MadmanMac
I found the problem when I changed the processor out. One of the socket pins was literally broken off about a mm down which is why I didn't notice it when I inspected the board the first time. no bends etc just no contact due to a piece of the pin not being there. UGGH. oh well at least it works at all. looks like I will be searching for a replacement as it's not worth 100+ dollars to  get it fixed.
2022/05/14 14:05:44
harley262
MadmanMac
I found the problem when I changed the processor out. One of the socket pins was literally broken off about a mm down which is why I didn't notice it when I inspected the board the first time. no bends etc just no contact due to a piece of the pin not being there. UGGH. oh well at least it works at all. looks like I will be searching for a replacement as it's not worth 100+ dollars to  get it fixed.

at least you found the issue, and im sure it was frustratingly fun. what cpu/ram do you have?
2022/05/14 21:20:36
MadmanMac
Now 2 xeon 5650s and 24 gb teamgroup 12800 ddr3 6 4gb dimms. guess im going to have to look for a decent 1366 mb that has triple channel for cheap now as I have a little too much in it for my taste now...

I wish I could find a dual processor server board w a respectable pinout list to be happy w the memory, I saw someone made one once somewhere on the web but I would have to have FULL DOCUMENTATION not the crap most companies (dell/hp/compaq/etc) put out or it would be near impossible to setup the control wiring w/o killing the board by accident.

As I said B4 at least it does work. My games help me keep my "sanity" in this currently mad world.

Thanks for all the effort trying to help.

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account