• MODS RIGS
  • Custom Loop Updated w New HW - 12900k Dominator DDR5 - 3080Ti FTW3 (p.3)
2022/02/13 19:26:49
rjbarker
GloR1ouS_
rjbarker
GloR1ouS_
rjbarker
GloR1ouS_
Nice build. Surprised you didn't go hard tubing, its just so much more clean. If I were to choose soft, 100% black tubing. Looks super clean. Great scores on your benches too. Your 12900K was definitely a better bin than mine.

Thanks Glor1

Yeah simply cant be bothered with Hard Tube....that level of aesthetics Im not looking for at all..flex is too easy.....I'm more about performance...although the Hard Tubing indeed is "super clean"!!

I can bench no problem with this 12900k P 5.3 E 4.1 reasonable voltages.....5.4 all core takes big leaps though!

Funny I was just looking at ordering some more flex tube and will likely go matte black this time around ;)

Heck yeah dude. Matte black gonna be super fine. I notice you are using distilled water with EK fluid but a lot of research I have done showed EK fluids as real bad. So many stories over on watercooling reddit. I also saw people with EK blocks getting corroded/worn by distilled water with any additive. This made me decide to go with XL8 clear as my build is very block open friendly to world. Real jealous of your cpu's bin quality though. I have 1 p core that just runs hot. They all hit 78-82 under 30 mins of being hammered by r23 at 5.1/4.1 at 1.3V. Then theres pcore 7 hitting 86c peak but all in all the average temp of this heavy stress test is 82-84c.

Been running distilled w EK clear Cryo for 4 yrs now ,....no issues...even neglected to dump my loop after well over 2 yrs...never have I had any issues with any type of corrosion or build up of gunk in my Blocks / Fins....
Been running Custom loop going on 9 yrs now so don't really pay much attention to "claims of..." or Reddit for that matter :) As I know what my experiences have been over the years and build on that....EK Cryo Concentrate clear is far too easy and very reasonably priced at around $12 for a liter of ready to use product ....my loop takes 1.5L coolant...odd number so always have 3 bottles of concentrate in hand....I have also ran straight distilled in my system for up 8 months as ran out of Cryo and got lazy ;) ...

I "try" to get around to flushing my system every 12 months (max)....but have gone 24 months (the longest) and usualy 18 months is more normal as I leave it until A) I know Im swapping out GPU or Board B) I notice GPU temps start to rise indicating that my Cold Plate fins should be cleaned.

....one thing I have found and built on over all these years with my custom loop....WC'ing is far more forgiving that what many newer wet heads claim :) ....a LOT of myths out there.

There's so much "gimmicky" crap to spend $$$ on....coolant shouldn't be one of em....one thing I have always avoided in my loop is coolants with dyes ....also several years ago there were issues with galvanic corrosion w EK Blocks and build up of gunk within Cold Plate fins from materials within some brands of flex tube....but all those issues were resolved....

Had someone tell me I "absolutely had" to have a coolant temp sensor in my loop.....I had chuckled as I do have one, but its been in my box of Bits Power fittings since 2013, always forget to install it.....point is, once you have a decent loop, you will get right intimate with it and can spot anomalies simply by monitoring your CPU / GPU idle n load temps.

I also have 1 or 2 P Cores that run warmer ....perfectly normal behavior on every CPU I have owned ;)

Take stuff you read on reddit with big ole grain of salt ;) ....build on your own experiences...its always been a fun hobby!

You know how many pictures I have seen on the newer EK blocks being corroded or yellowed with distilled water + anti bacterial? the water cooling sub reddit is actually a phenomenal source. EK's V2 of the vector block is no longer a plexi plate due to corrosion and complaints. I wouldn't say 22 dollars for a bottle of clear coolant is gonna make or break you or me when we have spent what we have on the rigs to begin with lol.

Well...there will always be the fear mongers....as said been using EK clear concentrate for 4 years now and no issues, so sticking with it ;) ....unless I have issues, but Im confident in my choice of gear.
I have never used plexi in any blocks....acetol n nickel or all nickel.(plated copper of course)...

I'll bet the "redditters" say you have to use a $40 "special rad cleaner" as well ;) ...I use diluted CLR...followed by flushed with distilled ....works great...as said, Loops arent eggs...they are very robust and forgiving....

Even though I just put this system together I'll drain here in a few months to replace my Vector w Vector 2.....pretty cool looking block...will match up nicely with my Velocity 2...last count I had 3 Velocity Blcoks and 6 Supremacy Blocks in my closet ......I'm like a Block Hoarder...that is one problem with WC'ing, you wind up with a stock pile of both CPU n GPU Blocks ;)

Since 2013 I have changed out my D5 Vario pump once....
2022/02/13 19:26:49
rjbarker
GloR1ouS_
rjbarker
GloR1ouS_
rjbarker
GloR1ouS_
Nice build. Surprised you didn't go hard tubing, its just so much more clean. If I were to choose soft, 100% black tubing. Looks super clean. Great scores on your benches too. Your 12900K was definitely a better bin than mine.

Thanks Glor1

Yeah simply cant be bothered with Hard Tube....that level of aesthetics Im not looking for at all..flex is too easy.....I'm more about performance...although the Hard Tubing indeed is "super clean"!!

I can bench no problem with this 12900k P 5.3 E 4.1 reasonable voltages.....5.4 all core takes big leaps though!

Funny I was just looking at ordering some more flex tube and will likely go matte black this time around ;)

Heck yeah dude. Matte black gonna be super fine. I notice you are using distilled water with EK fluid but a lot of research I have done showed EK fluids as real bad. So many stories over on watercooling reddit. I also saw people with EK blocks getting corroded/worn by distilled water with any additive. This made me decide to go with XL8 clear as my build is very block open friendly to world. Real jealous of your cpu's bin quality though. I have 1 p core that just runs hot. They all hit 78-82 under 30 mins of being hammered by r23 at 5.1/4.1 at 1.3V. Then theres pcore 7 hitting 86c peak but all in all the average temp of this heavy stress test is 82-84c.

Been running distilled w EK clear Cryo for 4 yrs now ,....no issues...even neglected to dump my loop after well over 2 yrs...never have I had any issues with any type of corrosion or build up of gunk in my Blocks / Fins....
Been running Custom loop going on 9 yrs now so don't really pay much attention to "claims of..." or Reddit for that matter :) As I know what my experiences have been over the years and build on that....EK Cryo Concentrate clear is far too easy and very reasonably priced at around $12 for a liter of ready to use product ....my loop takes 1.5L coolant...odd number so always have 3 bottles of concentrate in hand....I have also ran straight distilled in my system for up 8 months as ran out of Cryo and got lazy ;) ...

I "try" to get around to flushing my system every 12 months (max)....but have gone 24 months (the longest) and usualy 18 months is more normal as I leave it until A) I know Im swapping out GPU or Board B) I notice GPU temps start to rise indicating that my Cold Plate fins should be cleaned.

....one thing I have found and built on over all these years with my custom loop....WC'ing is far more forgiving that what many newer wet heads claim :) ....a LOT of myths out there.

There's so much "gimmicky" crap to spend $$$ on....coolant shouldn't be one of em....one thing I have always avoided in my loop is coolants with dyes ....also several years ago there were issues with galvanic corrosion w EK Blocks and build up of gunk within Cold Plate fins from materials within some brands of flex tube....but all those issues were resolved....

Had someone tell me I "absolutely had" to have a coolant temp sensor in my loop.....I had chuckled as I do have one, but its been in my box of Bits Power fittings since 2013, always forget to install it.....point is, once you have a decent loop, you will get right intimate with it and can spot anomalies simply by monitoring your CPU / GPU idle n load temps.

I also have 1 or 2 P Cores that run warmer ....perfectly normal behavior on every CPU I have owned ;)

Take stuff you read on reddit with big ole grain of salt ;) ....build on your own experiences...its always been a fun hobby!

You know how many pictures I have seen on the newer EK blocks being corroded or yellowed with distilled water + anti bacterial? the water cooling sub reddit is actually a phenomenal source. EK's V2 of the vector block is no longer a plexi plate due to corrosion and complaints. I wouldn't say 22 dollars for a bottle of clear coolant is gonna make or break you or me when we have spent what we have on the rigs to begin with lol.

Well...there will always be the fear mongers....as said been using EK clear concentrate for 4 years now and no issues, so sticking with it ;) ....unless I have issues, but Im confident in my choice of gear.
I have never used plexi in any blocks....acetol n nickel or all nickel.(plated copper of course)...

I'll bet the "redditters" say you have to use a $40 "special rad cleaner" as well ;) ...I use diluted CLR...followed by flushed with distilled ....works great...as said, Loops arent eggs...they are very robust and forgiving....

Even though I just put this system together I'll drain here in a few months to replace my Vector w Vector 2.....pretty cool looking block...will match up nicely with my Velocity 2...last count I had 3 Velocity Blcoks and 6 Supremacy Blocks in my closet ......I'm like a Block Hoarder...that is one problem with WC'ing, you wind up with a stock pile of both CPU n GPU Blocks ;)

Since 2013 I have changed out my D5 Vario pump once....
2022/02/15 06:46:39
Bobmitch
Nice Job on the build!
2022/02/15 14:13:20
rjbarker
bobmitch
Nice Job on the build!

Thanks Bob

Yep pretty happy with this build....decent numbers including thermals!
W11 wasnt the "horror show" I was reading online and expecting....all good...couldn't see the point of building a brand new Z690 platform with "old" DDR4 RAM and further gimping it with W10....went all in with new platform instead....glad I did ;)
2022/02/16 00:56:48
GloR1ouS_
rjbarker
bobmitch
Nice Job on the build!

Thanks Bob

W11 wasnt the "horror show" I was reading online and expecting....all good...couldn't see the point of building a brand new Z690 platform with "old" DDR4 RAM and further gimping it with W10....went all in with new platform instead....glad I did ;)

Not only does w11 latency gimp gaming by windows compositer being ****, games have worse latency on d5 due to the fact its in 2:1 mode. D5 benches nice but it definitely loses in latency and 0.1 and 1% lows far more than people realize. A properly tweaked w10 beats windows 11 even on 12th gen. I personally hate the way windows 11 works and has been reskin even while being tweaked. We don't even have a clock on the second monitor without running bloatware. Easy pass for now.
2022/02/16 15:18:31
rjbarker
GloR1ouS_
rjbarker
bobmitch
Nice Job on the build!

Thanks Bob

Not only does w11 latency gimp gaming by windows compositer being ****, games have worse latency on d5 due to the fact its in 2:1 mode. D5 benches nice but it definitely loses in latency and 0.1 and 1% lows far more than people realize. A properly tweaked w10 beats windows 11 even on 12th gen. I personally hate the way windows 11 works and has been reskin even while being tweaked. We don't even have a clock on the second monitor without running bloatware. Easy pass for now.

GloR1ouS_
rjbarker
bobmitch
Nice Job on the build!

Thanks Bob

More Reddit stuff ....as said I don't pay any attention to Reddit.. ;)

I have been reading posts by Shamino & Faulkentein as these are reputable enthusiasts that I have followed for many generations  (ROG and OC.net)...and more recently @Braegnok as he has been all over the DDR5.....also lurks here...ROG and OC.net

...haven't had ANY issues at all with W11 or DDR5 gaming .....drivers...video editing....or any other tasks I do....if I did I would surely post it up here ;)

Easy pass for you....but didn't make any sense to me not to try it out,..beside ROG Maximus Boards are DDR5 exclusive....glad yours is working good though ;)

2022/02/16 17:08:02
GloR1ouS_
No, not reddit. A little tool called Ldat. https://developer.nvidia.com/nvidia-latency-display-analysis-tool Why buy into the hype of a product at launch when its literally going to perform worse than DDR4 for the entire 12th generation launch? It probably won't out perform DDR4 until Z790. The theory of DDR5 is cool but not worth the price premium at all when actually hinders performance. The only thing that actually likes DDR5 bandwidth is synthetic benchmarks. Reviewers ect actually gimp down DDR4 vs DDR5 to make the gap look closer but I promise my kit running at CL13 stomps any DDR5 kit in gaming. There's maybe 3 games on the market that actually like DDR5 more and its probably because its optimization is bad and brute force method.

I'm not trying to talk down your build or anything. Cool you went with DDR5 but don't talk on DDR4 when you didn't do your research or have your facts right. I literally almost opted for DDR5 but it makes way too much sense why it loses to DDR4. The latency isn't even close so why spend thousands on a build that performs worse? My DDR4 kit cost almost as much as a 32G DDR5 kit anyways.
2022/02/16 18:12:53
rjbarker
GloR1ouS_
No, not reddit. A little tool called Ldat. https://developer.nvidia.com/nvidia-latency-display-analysis-tool Why buy into the hype of a product at launch when its literally going to perform worse than DDR4 for the entire 12th generation launch? It probably won't out perform DDR4 until Z790. The theory of DDR5 is cool but not worth the price premium at all when actually hinders performance. The only thing that actually likes DDR5 bandwidth is synthetic benchmarks. Reviewers ect actually gimp down DDR4 vs DDR5 to make the gap look closer but I promise my kit running at CL13 stomps any DDR5 kit in gaming. There's maybe 3 games on the market that actually like DDR5 more and its probably because its optimization is bad and brute force method.

I'm not trying to talk down your build or anything. Cool you went with DDR5 but don't talk on DDR4 when you didn't do your research or have your facts right. I literally almost opted for DDR5 but it makes way too much sense why it loses to DDR4. The latency isn't even close so why spend thousands on a build that performs worse? My DDR4 kit cost almost as much as a 32G DDR5 kit anyways.

Ok..... STOP !!! ......with all due respect (now Im being really polite)......this is my Mods / build page....not a DDR4 vs DDR5 or W10 vs W11 page..

Cheers
2022/03/18 09:58:55
rjbarker
So have settled into a decent 24/7 OC system, really been throwing the AAA Marathon sessions to it.
Absolutely solid with no issues.

I was having issues with random game freezing, CTD's etc but narrowed that down to Memory instability.
12900K (All Core) 5.1P / 4.1E / 4.3 Uncore 1.285v LLC 5 Max Temp R23 68c - Score 29.3K
Dominator 6200 / C36 - Could not stabilize at 6200 regardles of tweaking, so stable at 6000 32-35-35-74 2T
3080Ti FTW3 - +120/+675 for 24/7 Gaming

CP77 marathon sessions several evenings in a row have been perfect.
All settings cranked (except Psycho) 3440*1440p 65-85 FPS

Cheers all!
2022/03/19 04:20:32
rjohnson11
rjbarker
So have settled into a decent 24/7 OC system, really been throwing the AAA Marathon sessions to it.
Absolutely solid with no issues.

I was having issues with random game freezing, CTD's etc but narrowed that down to Memory instability.
12900K (All Core) 5.1P / 4.1E / 4.3 Uncore 1.285v LLC 5 Max Temp R23 68c - Score 29.3K
Dominator 6200 / C36 - Could not stabilize at 6200 regardles of tweaking, so stable at 6000 32-35-35-74 2T
3080Ti FTW3 - +120/+675 for 24/7 Gaming

CP77 marathon sessions several evenings in a row have been perfect.
All settings cranked (except Psycho) 3440*1440p 65-85 FPS

Cheers all!

Fantastic info. Gaming power!

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account