• Software
  • Windows 11 a Flop, Survey Claims Less Than 1% Upgraded, Microsoft Improves Start Menu (p.2)
2021/12/08 06:02:58
aka_STEVE_b
I did it yesterday.  "downgraded" back to Windows 10 x64 ...
It's like greeting your dog when you get home ,nice comforting hug ...🤗🐕‍🦺
2021/12/08 06:37:07
transdogmifier
I don't mind Win11, but in the end, Win10 was (and is) more than sufficient. The small gain in synthetic benchmarks (that I won't notice) and FPS (again, won't notice) doesn't really
make a difference to me.

Edit: Addendum: Let me have the GUI like I want it...old style start menus...old icons....etc...and Win11 would be a no brainer.  They always change stuff they don't need to.

2021/12/08 17:02:38
Flint 1760
transdogmifier
Edit: Addendum: Let me have the GUI like I want it...old style start menus...old icons....etc...and Win11 would be a no brainer.  They always change stuff they don't need to.

They could give the user a choice of more start menu/taskbar options and setting.  I use Open Shell and it still works in Win11.

2021/12/11 08:03:04
Nereus

How many times does MS decide we users really want a new UI and force it upon us when nobody actually wanted it, only to eventually revert back to what it was? In this case they appear to be wanting to emulate Apple. No, just no. If it ain't broke, don't fix it! I'm sure they have focus groups made up of willing sycophants to back it up, but time after time it's the same bs - just feels like a few high-level 'designers' in MS making changes for the sake of change, and perhaps also in an attempt to legitimize the salaries MS is paying them. Many iterations of MS Office have been the same - few new features, but rearrange all the menus and shortcuts to make it feel like you're getting something new, when mostly it's just a rehash and an inconvenience in having to learn the new menus and shortcuts and unlearn what was in the previous iteration.

I'm not against change, but make it worthwhile, not just change for the sake of change.

2021/12/11 17:26:47
XrayMan

Maybe it's a good thing that it won't let me upgrade anyways.     
2021/12/12 06:01:58
Bobmitch
Nereus...I agree.  Windows 11 is NOT a major step up from Windows 10.  It is an minor upgrade with some cosmetic changes and supposedly better security, but I don't feel that it is something people are going to rush to get.  XRay...you're not missing much.
2021/12/12 07:20:54
EyeDeeNo
XrayMan

Maybe it's a good thing that it won't let me upgrade anyways.     

+1

Yeah, I do not think I like where Microsoft is heading with 11.

Edit: Interestingly, my system does have TPM 2.0 but aside from that my Syklake processor does not meet their “CPUs that have adopted the new Windows Driver model…are achieving a 99.8% crash free experience.” but really the fundamental processor design flaw known as Spectre and Meltdown must be what is at play here.
2021/12/12 16:06:59
bill1024
I see no reason to install Win-11 at this time as long as Win-10 does what I need.
Heck I still have a couple boxes running Win-7. 
Ubuntu is up to ver. 20 I think, I have a few  still on ver. 18.xx
If it ain't broke don't fix it.
2021/12/12 16:08:52
XrayMan
bill1024

If it ain't broke don't fix it.

True that!     
2021/12/12 17:01:32
the_Scarlet_one
My laptop tried to force a windows 11 update today, and I definitely denied that… and it still tried to push the update, making me deny it twice.. Microsoft is persistent this time.

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account