2021/12/03 21:22:04
rjbarker
animefreeks
Harriman
veganfanatic
ty_ger07
animefreeks
Forza Horizon 5 maxxed out causes the fan controller to request 3 million fan rpms as reported in GeForce Experience. I knew something was starting to give up the ghost.

B O G U S

Anyone who understands fan control knows that is utter bogus.

Completely and totally unrelated. Is a software reading error. Will not cause hardware failure.

What is causing hardware failure is power spiked. NVIDIA power monitoring controls average power. Instantaneous power spikes are allowed and can cause the VRM to fail. Low demanding games cause the card to boost high at low power, and that is the perfect recipe for sudden demand to fry the VRM.

Boost on video cards can gobble a lot of extra power. This is why I use high-end power supplies which have reserves to handle video card proclivities.

All this chat on possible power supply issues has me concerned ( currently Queued for either a 3080 TI Hybrid or 3090 Kingpin ) I've gotta ask ,..I've a Pc Power & cooling Silencer 1200w MK III ( PPcMK3S1200w )

. ,. I'm assuming this is sufficient for either card along with a Ryzen 3900X ,an NVME main drive and a few storage Drives ,.. and no ,. no overclocking done here!! 

It has NOTHING to do with power supplies nor are there any concrete evidence linking the two causing failures.

Thats right ...your PCP&C 1.2kW is absolutely ample ....hell a decent 850w should be fine.
2021/12/03 21:24:02
animefreeks
rjbarker
animefreeks
Harriman
veganfanatic
ty_ger07
animefreeks
Forza Horizon 5 maxxed out causes the fan controller to request 3 million fan rpms as reported in GeForce Experience. I knew something was starting to give up the ghost.

B O G U S

Completely and totally unrelated. Is a software reading error. Will not cause hardware failure.

What is causing hardware failure is power spiked. NVIDIA power monitoring controls average power. Instantaneous power spikes are allowed and can cause the VRM to fail. Low demanding games cause the card to boost high at low power, and that is the perfect recipe for sudden demand to fry the VRM.

Boost on video cards can gobble a lot of extra power. This is why I use high-end power supplies which have reserves to handle video card proclivities.

All this chat on possible power supply issues has me concerned ( currently Queued for either a 3080 TI Hybrid or 3090 Kingpin ) I've gotta ask ,..I've a Pc Power & cooling Silencer 1200w MK III ( PPcMK3S1200w )

. ,. I'm assuming this is sufficient for either card along with a Ryzen 3900X ,an NVME main drive and a few storage Drives ,.. and no ,. no overclocking done here!! 

It has NOTHING to do with power supplies nor are there any concrete evidence linking the two causing failures.

Thats right ...your PCP&C 1.2kW is absolutely ample ....hell a decent 850w should be fine.

yep, pretty much what I have - Seasonic Focus GX-850, 1 year and 3 months old.
2021/12/03 22:40:31
rjbarker
^^^^ Made me chuckle when I see that Thread Titled "What PSU works with RTX 30xx Series Cards"....chuckle a little more when its 40+ pages long ;)
2021/12/03 23:26:06
badboy64
animefreeks
rjbarker
animefreeks
Harriman
veganfanatic
ty_ger07
animefreeks

B O G U S

Not if a person plans on overclocking your cpu and card at the sametime with that 850Watt for a 3090 KingPin card. I had a eVga 1000watt Gold psu and even a mild overclock on the when playing game would reboot the computer. I went with a this one. https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=220-PP-1300-X1

2021/12/04 08:27:01
animefreeks
Depends on the OEM. Seasonic usually builds their own, EVGA has a few different ones, either from SuperFlower or FSP. You want the SuperFlower Leadex builds and I'm not sure if the EVGA P+ is a SuperFlower. You may have the wattage but if it's group regulated or introduces ripple, it can contribute to instability. However these are discussions for another day because it can go on and on.
2021/12/04 09:54:21
Fennario
3090 FTW Ultra with Seasonic TX-1000 (1000 watt Titanium).  Great regulation and hold-up time (time a power supply takes to reduce from 100 percent to 90 percent of its rated output when a power outage or a supply fluctuation occurs).  No issues with my system re: power delivery or system stability attributable to the PSU.
2021/12/04 14:12:33
Intoxicus
Halo MCC has the fan ramping bug in the menus. This fan ramping can report rpm into the millions, and is associated with GPUs getting fried.
Hearing the fan ramping and seeing the numbers in the OSD is panic inducing.
I found if you turn off boost lock it doesn't do it. It's the only way I can play Halo MCC without the fan ramping.
I tried making a bug report to the MCC support people about it, but I feel like they didn't take it seriously.

2021/12/04 16:07:59
rjbarker
badboy64
animefreeks
rjbarker
animefreeks
Harriman
veganfanatic
ty_ger07
animefreeks

B O G U S

Not if a person plans on overclocking your cpu and card at the sametime with that 850Watt for a 3090 KingPin card. I had a eVga 1000watt Gold psu and even a mild overclock on the when playing game would reboot the computer. I went with a this one. https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=220-PP-1300-X1

I know you like your Evga branded components that's for sure and I didnt believe the OP was talking about a kp w a 1000w custom vbios....maybe he was ;) ...you have to remember a few things:

1. A GPU with a stock BIOS (I'm thinking 3080Ti stock vbios, not a kp) will draw max 450w AT FULL LOAD!
2. Highly OC'd CPU, like my 9900K Max 300W AT FULL LOAD (I would think 10900k or 11900k would be close to the same, of course that all depends upon the amount vcore, vccio and vccsa applied).

So thats 750W with BOTH CPU and GPU running at full load (sure throw in another 50w for some drives, fans etc) you would have to be running both Port Royal + Cinebench simultaneously to produce this kind of load (who does that ?....no one...), in real world gaming (like the OP), perhaps his GPU is running full load, as in 98%, but his CPU (whether OC'd or not) is likely pushing 40-50% load, max...the load draw is minimal.

I'm not saying 850w will or will not cut the mustard, just pointing out real world load.
The other thing most folks fail to take into consideration is "silent running and efficiency curve".....

I have an AX1600i in my build (remnants from running multi GPU's), imo best psu I could get and on the market, for my benching I also have an older AX1200i

Personally for components:
Mobo - Asus (ROG Apex or Extreme)
GPU - Evga (although Im open to try Asus Strix)
Memory - Corsair Dominator or GSkill
PSU - Seasonic or Corsair AX series (been Corsair the last several years)
SSD (NVMe or SATA) - Samsung or WD
Water Cooling Gear a mixed bag: Radiators XSPX RX Series, Fittings - BP, Blocks (CPU / GPU EK)

I dont stick to one brand obviously, but I do stick to what I feel are the best brands for specific components ;)

Anyhow, as said the OP's 1200w psu isnt the issue.
2021/12/04 21:39:45
ty_ger07
Intoxicus
This fan ramping can report rpm into the millions, and is associated with GPUs getting fried.

Not true.

If the card dies, it has nothing to do with the fan supposedly trying to ramp up into the millions.  There is no such thing as greater than 100% PWM.  The fan's power and ground signal remain unchanged, and the PWM output can never be greater than 100% (full on).  You can't be more on than full on.  This claim was debunked long ago, and it sounds pretty silly if you research how fan control works.
2021/12/04 22:58:31
rjbarker
ty_ger07
Intoxicus
This fan ramping can report rpm into the millions, and is associated with GPUs getting fried.

Not true.

If the card dies, it has nothing to do with the fan supposedly trying to ramp up into the millions.  There is no such thing as greater than 100% PWM.  The fan's power and ground signal remain unchanged, and the PWM output can never be greater than 100% (full on).  You can't be more on than full on.  This claim was debunked long ago, and it sounds pretty silly if you research how fan control works.

Well said..we know what the issue is !

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account