• EVGA Power Supplies
  • Well got my 3080 FTW3 Ultra so got an EVGA SuperNOVA 1200 P3, 80 Plus Platinum how is it?
2021/11/26 11:27:44
donta1979
Just wondering what people's experiences are with the EVGA SuperNOVA 1200 P3, 80 Plus Platinum 1200W 220-P3-1200-X1 that own one? Figured that would be the sweet spot since I will be pulling about 930-960 maybe 970ish at max load while overclocking, knowing full well I would kill my Supernova 850gold G5. Any input from owners or staff of this PSU would greatly be appreciated. I am also guessing the power cables from my 850 G5 are not compatible with this unit so out with the old"not that old" and in with the new?
2021/11/29 18:00:36
donta1979
Got an email, so when my PSU comes I guess my life got made a lot easier.

"Hello,

This will be fine as we can confirm the G5 and G3 ables are interchangeable. Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns in order to support you further.

Regards,
EVGA"
2021/12/01 17:24:22
ssj92
I have 1200 P3 with i9 10980XE and use it with rtx 3090 and Titan V. You will be fine. 

I previously had 1000 G5. I did not re-use cables. The G5 cables had a sleeve on them, but P3 cables are flat, which I liked better. 
2021/12/04 10:02:47
donta1979
ssj92
I have 1200 P3 with i9 10980XE and use it with rtx 3090 and Titan V. You will be fine. 

I previously had 1000 G5. I did not re-use cables. The G5 cables had a sleeve on them, but P3 cables are flat, which I liked better. 

Yeah I know my max load at overclocked will be over 1k I imagine. Right now with all the fans/lights/hub/extras I sit at around 900-945w at peak load. It’s why I have not been gaming. My CPU at a near constant 5.3ghz and my 3080 constantly boosting itself to 2010 on their own. Just am curious since it’s so new what peoples experiences have been with it. 90% is 1080w and 91% at its peak is 1092w. So figured I would ask here from owners since this is a newer psu. Imagine a lot more will soon that 234.99 dollar sale is what swayed me from getting the Seasonic Prime 1300w. Also read on an Amazon review this unit is not manufactured by Superflower?
2021/12/04 11:27:37
CraptacularOne
donta1979
ssj92

Yeah I know my max load at overclocked will be over 1k I imagine. Right now with all the fans/lights/hub/extras I sit at around 900-945w at peak load. It’s why I have not been gaming. My CPU at a near constant 5.3ghz and my 3080 constantly boosting itself to 2010 on their own. Just am curious since it’s so new what peoples experiences have been with it. 90% is 1080w and 91% at its peak is 1092w. So figured I would ask here from owners since this is a newer psu. Imagine a lot more will soon that 234.99 dollar sale is what swayed me from getting the Seasonic Prime 1300w. Also read on an Amazon review this unit is not manufactured by Superflower?

Very much doubt it while it's good to over estimate your power draw I think you are overshooting it by quite a bit. I'm on a 12th gen platform with a higher end card all watercooled system, just as many fans and 6 total drives on my PC in various forms of NVMe and SATA SSD. All with a 1k PSU. System benches at 5.2Ghz P core and 4.1Ghz E core, the RTX 3080 Ti at 2190Mhz core, 22Ghz memory and I don't go over 1000w from the wall at peak. This translates to about 850w if we assume worst case efficiency at 85%. 

During my daily driver settings of 5Ghz P core, 3.9Ghz E core and roughly 2070-2100Mhz core and 20Ghz on the memory for the 3080 Ti, I see spikes of about 800w from the wall during games at most which again assuming worst case efficiency from the PSU puts the system at 680w peaks during gaming. 
2021/12/04 11:59:25
donta1979
CraptacularOne

Very much doubt it while it's good to over estimate your power draw I think you are overshooting it by quite a bit. I'm on a 12th gen platform with a higher end card all watercooled system, just as many fans and 6 total drives on my PC in various forms of NVMe and SATA SSD. All with a 1k PSU. System benches at 5.2Ghz P core and 4.1Ghz E core, the RTX 3080 Ti at 2190Mhz core, 22Ghz memory and I don't go over 1000w from the wall at peak. This translates to about 850w if we assume worst case efficiency at 85%. 

During my daily driver settings of 5Ghz P core, 3.9Ghz E core and roughly 2070-2100Mhz core and 20Ghz on the memory for the 3080 Ti, I see spikes of about 800w from the wall during games at most which again assuming worst case efficiency from the PSU puts the system at 680w peaks during gaming. 

I am just curious this is what I used to give me what I would be at while at 100% load with everything crammed into my case and the voltages to clocks I see, 
Power Supply Calculator - PSU Calculator | OuterVision

Good to know if it's wrong. Just know my CPU while it does its turbo clock at 5.3ghz constantly it is asking for 1.11-1.46v on vcore according to CoreTemp this is at stock and letting the board do its own management... I do not bother with MSI's monitoring software and know these boards like to pump the extra voltage. I do know by your clocks card speeds and everything you are pulling way more than me I imagine.
2021/12/04 12:13:54
CraptacularOne
You'll never be at 100% load for everything simultaneously, it's just not possible or feasible in normal operation or even benchmarking. Even using the 90% default on that site will still greatly overshoot your actual needs, but again this is a good thing for the most part as you don't want to run your PSU at the ragged edge all the time. However again they still very optimistically overestimate actual needs and give you something very safely in margin. 
2021/12/04 12:23:10
CraptacularOne
Grab one of these to see what something is pulling at the wall outlet
https://www.amazon.com/P3-P4400-Electricity-Usage-Monitor/dp/B00009MDBU

Of course that's not scientific or precise as you'll still need to convert it's reading to what your PSU is delivering. For instance if that is showing 1000w that doesn't mean your PC is asking for 1000w from the PSU since the PSU is just a means to transform AC to DC and you have to factor in its efficiency in doing so to arrive at your "actual" PC wattage usage. This varies too by type of load, how much load and duration of the load. I assume usually a 85% efficiency as a worst case for a gold rated PSU and 90% for a platinum rated PSU on average. Though again this is just a "guess". Regardless though, whatever the meter reads, your PSU is actually delivering a percentage lower.

A shame that fantastic site like Jonyguru went under as there aren't really any in-depth PSU review sites around anymore. 
2021/12/04 12:25:42
donta1979
CraptacularOne
You'll never be at 100% load for everything simultaneously, it's just not possible or feasible in normal operation or even benchmarking. Even using the 90% default on that site will still greatly overshoot your actual needs, but again this is a good thing for the most part as you don't want to run your PSU at the ragged edge all the time. However again they still very optimistically overestimate actual needs and give you something very safely in margin. 

About how much do you think I am probably pulling right now with my cpu at 5.3ghz almost constantly with the voltages its pulling at its spikes randomly, my card hitting 2010mhz, 12fans, then the ARGB ram cooler I doubt is pulling much, Light bar, some LED bar support bracket, and everything else crammed into my case shown on my mod rigs? I do not have anything to tell how much I am actually pulling from the wall.
2021/12/04 12:39:06
donta1979
CraptacularOne
Grab one of these to see what something is pulling at the wall outlet
https://www.amazon.com/P3-P4400-Electricity-Usage-Monitor/dp/B00009MDBU

Of course that's not scientific or precise as you'll still need to convert it's reading to what your PSU is delivering. For instance if that is showing 1000w that doesn't mean your PC is asking for 1000w from the PSU since the PSU is just a means to transform AC to DC and you have to factor in its efficiency in doing so to arrive at your "actual" PC wattage usage. This varies too by type of load, how much load and duration of the load. I assume usually a 85% efficiency as a worst case for a gold rated PSU and 90% for a platinum rated PSU on average. Though again this is just a "guess". Regardless though, whatever the meter reads, your PSU is actually delivering a percentage lower.

A shame that fantastic site like Jonyguru went under as there aren't really any in-depth PSU review sites around anymore. 

Will do thanks, I think his site went down mostly because he is working for Corsair and some drama people caused online because of it. At least that is what I heard. He had someone else doing the testing for him for some time as he got super busy tweaking stuff at Corsair. Best we will have now is Gamers Nexus, but they probably won't really test a psu unless it's amazing or the big one it's a fire hazard ready to burn and or kill hardware.

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account