• EVGA Z590 Series
  • Need some help trying to find an annoying issue on a new EVGA Z590 Dark, 11900k. (p.8)
2022/01/16 06:15:18
rblaes_99
i am on windows 11 and i can not update icue from icue.  I have to use control panel to uninstall it and manually download the updates.
2022/01/16 07:31:31
JimBeamBlack
 I can't even get it to install from a new download, it BSOD's at 13% every time. It even BSOD's when trying to uninstall it, it must hit one certain file and runs into a wall. 

But, as I said, it IS partially installed, and even though it will not start with windows and I can't fully open the dashboard, I can start it from an old desktop icon, it is updated to the latest version, and my default blue profile is working so I don't have to look at that rainbow wave crap. I am limited to the right-click tray options, but as long as the blue profile is working I'm good, I HATE RGB crap...

I think I messed iCUE up last night in the 15 times I tried installing it, I got pissed and deleted the whole folder in safe mode. What I'm going to have to do is take/unplug everything but my ram and video card later today and try installing it that way as that seems to work, OR I may just leave it as is and NEVER update it again, which is what I should have done.

I don't know what's going on with this thing, but as long as I don't try installing/removing driver/firmware type apps, I can run it for weeks at a time without an issue.  and that just seems so odd to me, it doesn't make any sense at all.

I guess my final try is going to be installing windows 10, but I don't have a license right now and I need to use my PC for the time being, so I'll try that in a couple of months.  In the meantime I am collecting parts to build another PC, I will use this for my overclocker, might even do a bench mount. setup...as soon as my wife gets her rescue cats out of my man cave...
2022/01/22 16:50:44
JimBeamBlack
 I finally got iCUE to install, I removed my brand new DVD ROM AND a hot-swappable drive tray, and it breezed through the install the first time....

We're talking about a program that failed to install about 20 times, at least 20 times, I just don't get it.

This had worked one time before with an older DVD rom, and I thought that was the problem, but it may have been the Hot-swap tray.

I don't know, but I'm going to keep messing with it, it overclocks like a monster so it must be something really stupid.
2022/01/23 08:47:53
rblaes_99
i would get rid of all of that extra crap.  i buy silicone cap covers from ebay and seal off every single SATA port on the motherboard day one.  nothing gets plugged in there ever.
2022/01/23 08:48:41
rblaes_99
i wish they would make a stripped down mobo without any SATA ports.  no wifi.  one ethernet.  one PCIe.

2022/01/24 19:37:51
JimBeamBlack
rblaes_99
i would get rid of all of that extra crap.  i buy silicone cap covers from ebay and seal off every single SATA port on the motherboard day one.  nothing gets plugged in there ever.

I would, except I need all those hard drives and at least my one burner, I have Several flight simulators, tons of files, games, a music video collection, family photos, music, you name it.  However, SATA hard drives are so cheap now I guess I could buy some 6TB drives and cut down on the number of ports I'm using 

I wonder if it could be the ASMedia ports? 

Anyways, so far it seems to be working fine, I'll know when I have to install another driver.

Funny thing though, when the drivers are installed/updated from windows update I don't have any issues.

Plus, I just finished playing Lost Alpha for the past 7 hours, didn't even break a sweat.

2022/01/25 05:07:59
rblaes_99
snag an external burner and build a nice NAS with an SFP+ port and centralize all of that data storage keeping the gaming rig unladen.  NAS in RAID 10 is probably a safer place to store your digital treasure anyway.  
2022/02/02 19:08:37
Mr. Fox
With all of the rigmarole you have endured, you probably could have just wiped the M.2 and clean installed Windows 10 and not had any issues. Windows 11 is likely the cause of many of the issues you are experiencing. Each version update of Windows is less reliable and has more bugs than the one before it. My daily driver OS is Windows 10 LTSC 2019 (1809) and it has no issues of any kind other than not being as good as Windows 7 was/is, LOL. I also stay on older (non-DCH) GeFarts drivers. There is no Windows Store/UWP filth to gum up the works with LTSC. Micro$oft Updates are disabled and I manually install only "security" updates if and when I deem that doing so to be important enough to do it (which is not very often) and the experience is drama-free. If a game requires a newer version of Windows 10 or a newer GeFarts driver, then I pass on it. It's not worth it. Games that require more recent versions of Windows 10 and DCH drivers are nothing more than a shill farce being forced by muppets that serve the Redmond Mafia.

2022/02/03 06:06:23
rblaes_99
I've been on windows 11 and latest gefarts game ready drivers each time one comes out.  no issues at all.  The above issues were almost certainly failing hardware or a driver for a device that hasn't been updated by the vendor in years.   
2022/02/28 10:15:36
JimBeamBlack
 I THINK finally have an update, I've waited because every time I think I have this figured out it face-plants on me again.

Everything seems to be pointing to the Legacy ASMedia SATA port (on the bottom)

(YES I know, I am using all of my SATA ports and that seems like overkill, but that's why I buy these boards, I want to "be able to" use all of the SATA ports if needed.)

But beyond that, 

I have had that port unused for the past month and (so far) everything seems to be working normally.

I can actually use my Creative AE-7, which I have updated the drivers and software for at least 2 times in the past month, 
I can keep my DVD ROM plugged in and use it with no issues.
I have updated to every new video driver that has come out since and used the Driver Cleaner (DDU) each time with no problems.
I have been able to update ICue every time it needed updating.
I have a decent little per-core overclock running 24/7, the system runs everything I throw at it stable and cool. (Literally 4 to 8 (and sometimes longer) hour gaming sessions with chat programs and music all running at once)
All of my hard drivers work properly and I use a USB 3.0 (BlacX) for my storage drives instead of the hot-swap drive cage I had plugged into the ASMedia port, and that works fine.

How did I know it was this port?:

I had drives hooked to it that port that would just disappear as if they failed.
My DVD ROM seemed like the problem causing the BSOD's...until I moved it to another controller. And now it doesn't.
Since leaving that bottom ASMedia port open (unused) I have had no more BSOD's/WHEA Errors, there is no more reporting in the event logs about failing hardware.

So, is it just a driver issue?? I have NO idea because there are STILL no official Windows 11 Drivers available to test with.  OR is it that I just cannot use all 8 ports at once?  ...again I have no idea.

BUT, the system works without using it (for now anyway) and I am cool with that.

HOPEFULLY, this issue is solved (time will tell, and hopefully it doesn't become a larger issue)
A HUGE thank you to everyone for putting up with me through this, believe it or not, I have learned a LOT of valuable information (like have NOTHING hooked up when installing windows 10/11!! and only add one device at a time!) and discovered some cool things about using optical cable for sound (some frustrating but some very cool), and I think I'm going to stick with windows 11, as even as buggy as it is sometimes, it is just VERY easy to use and has everything I need right there.

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account