2021/09/25 13:18:09
Xavier Zepherious
No idea about directories, folders, or files
Having moved from generations who were frightened to touch computers because they were frightened something would go wrong, The Verge reports that professors are increasingly seeing the rise of a generation that can’t understand even the basic fundamentals of how computers and operating systems work.

Basics like directories, folders, and even what a file is seem to baffle a generation and storage is apparently a complete mystery.
Physics professor Catherine Garland was stunned to find that her students couldn’t grasp the concept of organised file storage and that they just assumed that there stuff was sent somewhere.

She asked each student where they’d saved their project. Could they be on the desktop? Perhaps in the shared drive? But over and over, she was met with confusion.
Lots of students did not
Multiple students did not understand the question and not only did they not know where their files were saved and did not even understand the question.
Garland said that the concept of file folders and directories, essential to previous generations’ understanding of computers, is gibberish to many modern students.
The new generation of students sees storage as a “giant laundry basket”, where everything is just thrown in, and you go get what you need when you need it.
One professor now incorporates an additional two hour lecture and demo in their subject just to teach new students how things like directories work in computer systems. Teachers worry that students will be ill-prepared for professional environments, especially STEM fields, that require a rigid organisation to keep volumes of data organised. But some professors seem to think that they’ll eventually have to surrender to how the young do things.

https://www.fudzilla.com/news/53594-kids-cant-understand-how-computers-work-any-more

and we seem to making people that rely on their smart phones and browsers rather than work hard and really learn

geez . i grew up with pdp8 and punchcards and teletype...wire core memory era

basically build your own computer and repair it yourself like woz
2021/09/25 13:26:54
transdogmifier
Too busy teaching 'diversity', "PC" (not Personal Computer) and "Don't offend anyone but the right" culture
to teach real information and things that actually matter.

2021/09/25 13:41:46
Flint 1760
Why doesn't this surprise me at all.  I was in my late 20s when I bought my first computer, a Tandy TRS 80, and like most things in life, I learned a lot, am still learning, and hope to continue learning. 

I think some of these students are in for a rude awakening when they are finally employed.
2021/09/25 14:34:49
kevinc313
I blame Windows 8 and 10, any kid starting College this year spent their academic career using W8 (2012) or later, or Mac - computer as an appliance.
2021/09/25 14:41:49
phantomshroom

The photo explains it all. Then & now :o)
I was told by my neighbours who have kids in school that schools all across Canada have ceased failing anyone for any reason for the last decade or so. Government directive they were told. Kids are no longer taught what we were taught back in the 50's/60's/70's. Over 90% of kids can't do simple math because they are not taught it. Nowadays they are pushed through to the next level regardless if they failed multiple tests. My neighbour said it's disgusting how they teach today because his son had failed 3 geography classes, 4 English classes, 8 math classes & yet he still progressed to the next grades & still gets B+ report cards even with all his failures over several grades.

No wonder why kids have no clue about computers or simple common sense things in life. 90% of forum posts throughout the web are filled with posts by IDIOT kids/adults that can't use simple grammar  to complete a proper sentence. I see it on these forums as well. Typical uneducated people posting without double checking their posts first :o)
2021/09/25 14:52:34
kevinc313
phantomshroom

The photo explains it all. Then & now :o)
I was told by my neighbours who have kids in school that schools all across Canada have ceased failing anyone for any reason for the last decade or so. Government directive they were told. Kids are no longer taught what we were taught back in the 50's/60's/70's. Over 90% of kids can't do simple math because they are not taught it. Nowadays they are pushed through to the next level regardless if they failed multiple tests. My neighbour said it's disgusting how they teach today because his son had failed 3 geography classes, 4 English classes, 8 math classes & yet he still progressed to the next grades & still gets B+ report cards even with all his failures over several grades.

No wonder why kids have no clue about computers or simple common sense things in life. 90% of forum posts throughout the web are filled with posts by IDIOT kids/adults that can't use simple grammar  to complete a proper sentence. I see it on these forums as well. Typical uneducated people posting without double checking their posts first :o)

Not sure what they are doing in Canada and I don't interact with teenagers, but we've been hiring some pretty sharp 20-something technical professionals at my work.  Even if they do lack some of the applicable practical experience.  Granted I live in a sociologically upper middle class bubble where everyone is pretty smart and makes good money.

2021/09/25 16:22:38
phantomshroom
Sure enough Kevinc313, I have still met tons of kids/teenagers/adults over many years that break the mould & are far above the norm. It's just a shame that the current educational system is no longer like it was several decades ago. I wish they would fire the entire scholastic administration personnel & insert more competent ones in that actually care about proper teaching our youth. Our youth are our future & should never be undermined.
2021/09/25 17:04:02
kevinc313
phantomshroom
Sure enough Kevinc313, I have still met tons of kids/teenagers/adults over many years that break the mould & are far above the norm. It's just a shame that the current educational system is no longer like it was several decades ago. I wish they would fire the entire scholastic administration personnel & insert more competent ones in that actually care about proper teaching our youth. Our youth are our future & should never be undermined.

Well, without getting into the politics of education process and standards, it's always been that you can only do so much for a large percentage of the population and you'll never get good results.  Half of all people are below average, after all.
2021/09/26 02:55:07
bob16314
transdogmifier
Too busy teaching 'diversity', "PC" (not Personal Computer) and "Don't offend anyone but the right" culture

We have a winner here!
2021/09/26 04:42:45
rjohnson11
bob16314
transdogmifier

We have a winner here!

I'm in total agreement

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account