2021/09/24 21:49:31
Thisiswar88
hey guys,

My 1080 is getting a little bit toasty, when I first got the 1080 it never really went above 65/70c but now it's hitting about 76/77c. Was just wondering if it's okay to reapply thermal paste to drop the temps a bit without voiding warranty?

I did the whole thermal pad replacement back when I got my 1070 near launch so im familiar with how to take the card apart ect, won't need to take the card totally apart for reapplying thermal paste mind you. just want to double check with the evga team on here before i go a head with it.
2021/09/25 06:22:52
ty_ger07
This is asked over and over again. There is a search feature.

As long as you properly disassemble, apply thermal paste, and reassemble with damaging or modifying anything, the warranty is not negatively affected.
2021/09/25 07:38:05
Thisiswar88
Never crossed my mind to have a little search my apologies, thermal paste done she is not going above 65c now no matter how demanding the game. 12/13c drop is crazy just for a doing a clean thermal re paste. Thermal paste was pretty poor tbh barely much on it at all, can see now why it was getting hot.
2021/09/25 10:26:27
ty_ger07
It is normal for thermal paste to leave the center and push to the edges over time. It is normal to find voids in the center over time. That is why a repaste is needed. It doesn't mean that the thermal paste went bad. It doesn't mean that the thermal paste was applied poorly originally. The thermal paste which you just applied will be "poorly applied" in a couple of years.
Thermal paste pushes to the edge over time due to thermal cycles. Expansion and contraction. It is called 'the pump-out effect'.

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account