2021/09/11 22:19:30
Braegnok
I just ordered the Z590 Dark motherboard, and have a question about clearance for EK-Quantum Vector FE RTX 3090 Active Backplate.

Just looking at photos of the top x16 slot on reviews,.. the active backplate requires at least one slot above them to be empty as they stand 16.8mm tall from the PCB across the whole GPU.

Does not look like I will have the clearance, can anyone confirm this. Thanks.

PLEASE NOTE:
              These newly developed active backplates require at least one slot above them to be empty as they stand 16.8mm tall from the PCB across the whole GPU.
2021/09/15 16:12:27
Braegnok
Received the new Z590 Dark today, great looking board. 

FYI for anyone planning a new build, running water-cooled graphics card with active backplate,.. plan on buying a riser cable and going with vertical mount.

As you only have 0.25 inch or 6.35mm clearance above the top x16 slot. 

2021/09/16 18:11:30
pclausen
Well, I guess I'll leave my 3090 FTW3 SLI setup on air then since both cards will mounted directly on the Dark with the 4 slot NVLink bridge.

A real shame that only the 11900K will be cooled by the dual 480 rads in my ThermalTake Core 9 case where the board is mounted horizontally to begin with, so riser cables were never an option.

Might have to get out the dremel...
2021/09/16 20:40:23
Braegnok
Your cards will fit fine with EK-Quantum Vector Water Blocks with standard backplates included in the kit.

The Active Backplate is an add on kit that replaces the standard backplate with an active backplate, for my card RTX 3090 FE it was a pre-order option when I purchased the QV block.

So yes if your running the active plates, you will need to get out the dremel. lol

I never thought to check the top slot for clearance till after I ordered the board, truly wish EVGA could have went with the x4 slot above the top x16, foresight would have prevented clearance issue.

The open-end x4 slot at the bottom may have issues with longer cards shorting out on the CMOS battery.

2021/09/17 04:04:35
pclausen
I understand the active backplate is an option with the Quantum Vector kit.  I'm currently running heatsinks with fans on the backplates on my 3090's to keep the backside VRAM cool.  This is why I definitely want the active backplates.  I have another rig with an Asus Crosshair VIII Formula with a 3090 KingPin HC.  I'm waiting on the Optimus KP kit for it, which has a massive active backplate as well.  I think that will fit however since the active backplate doesn't get "thick" until you get about an inch or so up from the PCIe slot, so it will clear the DIMM module sockets.

I should be getting my Z590 Dark today, so I'll be able to take a closer look to see how the design of it differs from the Crosshair as far as clearance above PCIe slot #1.
2021/09/17 04:58:10
Braegnok
Yes sir, I agree the active backplate will be an improvement on the 3090 cards, the Optimus KPE block & backplate looks sweet regardless of the configuration.   

Currently my daily driver is Asus M12E rig, with plenty of clearance above top x16 slot.

2021/09/17 19:35:53
pclausen
Got my Dark today.  There is some clearance on a bare back GPU and that black top cover on the copper heatsink:

At least it looks like quite a bit of clearance can be gained by either removing the black top place or trimming it a bit.
2021/09/23 11:46:43
pclausen
Went ahead and ordered a pair of the EK-Quantum Vector front and back blocks for my pair of 3090 FTW3s.  Hopefully I won't have to do too much trimming on the mobo/backplate closest to the CPU.  They will likely ship directly from EKWB from Europe on 10/4.
2021/09/23 11:51:24
austin86
pclausen
Got my Dark today.  There is some clearance on a bare back GPU and that black top cover on the copper heatsink:

At least it looks like quite a bit of clearance can be gained by either removing the black top place or trimming it a bit.

It sure looks like you can gain a little room by removing the heatsink cover. Thanks for the photo BTW. I was tossing the idea of getting a 590 dark but wanted to know if the black heatsink cover can be removed.
2021/09/23 14:10:15
Braegnok
pclausen
Went ahead and ordered a pair of the EK-Quantum Vector front and back blocks for my pair of 3090 FTW3s.  Hopefully I won't have to do too much trimming on the mobo/backplate closest to the CPU.  They will likely ship directly from EKWB from Europe on 10/4.

Looking forward to seeing your results.

Removing and trimming the heat sink, black shield/cover is indeed an option, could be done quickly on the bench with a cut-off wheel.

Still undecided if I'm going with a riser cable on the Z590 Dark build. 

I have a pair of RTX 2080 TI cards with single-slot full-copper HeatKiller IV blocks,.. thinking about utilizing those cards on the Z590 Dark, should look nice when finished.

Have lot's of options to consider, the riser cable is not at the top of my list.  

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account