• EVGA Gaming Mice
  • X17 Mouse and EVGA Unleash - Software starts and immediately exits to desktop
2021/09/08 09:19:49
zargon45
Just got an X17 mouse on the cheap, decided to give it a go. Feels fine, everything seems to work, but as one would suspect, I like to customize things a bit. So I installed the software and I can't get it to open and stay open for longer than a fraction of a second with the mouse plugged in. For fun, I've tried unplugging the mouse, starting the software, and then plugging the mouse in. Something about having the mouse plugged in at the same time the software is open is killing the software. So I can't use the hardware and software that are supposedly made for each other at the same time. Sounds like some great forethought went into this setup. I've also tried various different versions of the software. Windows 10.

I would like to know what EVGA's stance is at the current time. From my googling efforts, it seems they usually start at "reinstall Windows" which is unacceptable.
2021/09/08 11:29:07
EVGA_James

There has been a few reports of this versus those that did not have any issues. Its more likely a Windows isolated issue due to a  possible corruption in the WMI (Windows Management Instrumentation) repository. Below are some steps to take to repair the WMI repository. I would suggest making sure that you have Windows fully updated and the latest Windows .Net framework installed. 

Rebuilding the WMI repository can result in some 3rd party products not working until their setup is re-run & their MOF re-added back to the repository. 
(You may need to reinstall some of your device's drivers and or software if affected)

Open Command prompt and "Run as administrator" 
enter: winmgmt /verifyrepository
If the repository has an issue, it will respond “repository is not consistent,” 

Run the command:
winmgmt /salvagerepository

Then execute the command to see if it now comes back as consistent-
winmgmt /verifyrepository

If it says that Repository is not consistent, then you need to run:
winmgmt /resetrepository

After that you can enter: winmgmt /verifyrepository and if all goes well then it will respond with  “repository is consistent” 

You may want to reinstall Unleash RGB as well as test any other devices to see if you may need to reinstall their drivers/software
2021/09/08 14:45:08
zargon45
It reports back as consistent
2021/09/08 15:44:12
EVGA_James
Can you provide the Windows version and build number so we can look into this further

2021/09/09 11:22:35
Apollo1321
Does the same thing for me, closes almost immediately on my daily system, my test bench on both a fresh install of windows and one win install that is just benchmarks. Tried also on a win7 laptop that just had a fresh reinstall of windows that also has zero other programs on it, yes I installed latest dotnet. Closes on all.

On all the machines I tried removing the firmwareupdate exe from the program folder. Then started unleash rgb, it opens and stays open with the x15 mouse showing, but cannot do ANYTHING in the program. So it seems that firmwareupdate.exe is causing the issues.
On the windows 7 laptop it says that firmwareupdate.exe has malfunctioned and stopped working.
2021/09/09 12:57:10
EVGA_James
Apollo1321
Does the same thing for me, closes almost immediately on my daily system, my test bench on both a fresh install of windows and one win install that is just benchmarks. Tried also on a win7 laptop that just had a fresh reinstall of windows that also has zero other programs on it, yes I installed latest dotnet. Closes on all.

On all the machines I tried removing the firmwareupdate exe from the program folder. Then started unleash rgb, it opens and stays open with the x15 mouse showing, but cannot do ANYTHING in the program. So it seems that firmwareupdate.exe is causing the issues.
On the windows 7 laptop it says that firmwareupdate.exe has malfunctioned and stopped working.

Can you provide screen shots of the Windows build number as the error messages you are seeing
2021/09/10 12:51:55
zargon45
EVGA_James
Can you provide the Windows version and build number so we can look into this further

Sorry, didn't mean to sit on this for a day and a half
Version 21H1 Build 19043.1110
2021/09/11 09:55:52
Encryption
Having same issue here only with an x15.
Windows 10 Pro 21H1 19043.1202
2021/09/13 19:54:27
Micklovin
Same, it has something to do with firmware not responding for me. Just got the x15, if I rename to Fakefirmware it'll bypass any update, the program will come up but does nothing besides show me the mouse. Did the WMI came back fine, tried safe mode uninstalling everything evga and starting fresh etc.

Is it an issue with the x15 not being present in the list of Mice and keyboards? It does state product not found, my computer see's it in hardware.

Attached Image(s)

2021/09/14 00:14:15
lee53262
I am having the same issue where the software closes immediately upon opening. Just got the mouse today and after browsing thru the forums it appears to me that this is an issue EVGA has not and will not take care of despite this going on since the x17 came out in February. I've tried every troubleshooting method mentioned in the forums short of reinstalling windows which is a hassle that shouldn't be necessary and appears to likely not work according to other users. I can get the program to open without crash only by changing or deleting the firmware update file, which seems to be the root of the problem, yet it is completely nonfunctional. The fact they still haven't dealt with it for over 7 months now is utterly ridiculous. I've noticed that the EVGA reps always blame windows for the issue but yet every other company has no problem creating a working program especially for an $80 mouse. My Windows version is 20H2 build# 19042.1165.

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account