2021/09/02 04:36:00
martyz242
This is going to be more of a rant then anything else, but when is EVGA going to get serious about their unleash RGB software?
I bought a brand new Z20 keyboard and Z17 mouse for my gaming rig, and not to be to crude, but the software sucks.

I might just understand that the custom lighting settings will not work if the software is not running in the background, most other brands work the same way. But why is it, that the function that EVGA touts as unique to their keyboard alone, the TOF function, NOT work when the lighting effects are on custom instead of preset? 

EVGA really needs to get their act together if they want to get a market share in the gaming keyboard arena!!!
2021/09/03 15:19:23
erkansus2
you can get it launched? I haven't been about to get it to launch on 4 different PC's

2021/09/08 16:03:43
EVGA_James
martyz242

I might just understand that the custom lighting settings will not work if the software is not running in the background, most other brands work the same way. But why is it, that the function that EVGA touts as unique to their keyboard alone, the TOF function, NOT work when the lighting effects are on custom instead of preset? 

This might be a bug I'll check with our software team to look into this. 
When I was testing this, if you stay on the TOF tab the custom lighting turns off. If you switch to any other tab the lighting effect will comeback on and the TOF feature will still function. So it might be a bug and I've forwarded all the details to our team
2021/09/08 16:10:22
EVGA_JacobF
erkansus2
you can get it launched? I haven't been about to get it to launch on 4 different PC's

What is the error you are getting?
2021/09/10 04:02:51
erkansus2
EVGA_JacobF
erkansus2

What is the error you are getting?

There is no error at all, the program refuses to launch whatsoever
I bought a Z12, a Z15, and a Z20, as well as the X17 mouse, and none of the devices work with unleash.

I click the icon to launch unleash (also tried running as administrator), and it shows a splash screen for a second, with no information loaded in, and then disappears. After disappearing it doesn't  show up in task manager either. 

I have tried all four devices, in all different combinations, on four separate computers, all running different builds of windows (as well as trying it on one machine with a clean install).
My main system uses precision X1. I tried uninstalling that, clearing out any EVGA related APPDATA and temporary files, and then installing unleash but it did not work then either.

The closest thing I could get to possibly work was renaming "firmwareupdate.exe" to "firmwareupdateFAKE.exe" in the program files for unleash, at which point the program would stay launched, identify that the devices were present; however, none of the options within the program were able to be selected, so the program was still non-functional. 

I have tried installing and running absolutely every version of UnleashRGB that I could find, by googling "UnleashRGB Download center" from version 1.0.5 to the newest 1.0.10 (I think those are the numbers).

This is not a new problem.

People have been reporting this issue on the forums since June (I stand corrected, the issue has been happening to people for 7 months).
Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/TEAMEVGA/comments/llwdus/unleash_software_not_opening_for_x17_mouse/

I believe the closest anyone has gotten to pinpointing the issue, was in looking at the windows error logs to determine that the soft-crash happens at the time when the "FirmwareUpdate.exe" calls upon some .NET framework from windows.

I'm assuming this .NET framework is an older version, and most systems do not have it, if another program has not installed it beforehand. 

If this is the case, then UnleashRGB needs to scan for the necessary .NET framework, and prompt the user to install it, before the "FirmwareUpdate.exe" program is launched. 

I have submitted this information through both the complaint form (complaining that precision x1 gets updates every 2-4 weeks, when UnleashRGB has been broken since June), and through a service ticket to no avail. I was told the information would get passed on, but people (including myself) are still having this issue.

In my personal opinion, it is bad business for the Z12 keyboard to get released before UnleashRGB is fixed. Unleash controls the RGB/Macro/Polling rate for these lines of products. It is not fair to the customer to buy a product with features that they cannot control due to malfunctioning software.

From what I have seen of UnleashRGB (through YouTube), it seems like very minimal effort was put into coding the software. The UI is somewhat unintuitive, and in comparison to Precision X1 (which I have been using for years), UnleashRGB seems like an afterthought.

This is a shame, considering how many; [good, exceptionally so - the X15, is hands down the best keyboard I've used], product lines use this software.

From a business standpoint, it is never a good idea to make an amazing product, only to have the software control be non-functional at best.

If you want to see an example of this, look at Razer RGB Software, which is essentially malware/bloatware at this point, and has even had a security flaw figured out within the last two weeks (that allows anyone with a razer peripheral to be subject to malware [backdoor/security hole]). You can also look at NZXT's AIO's which are fairly good coolers, at an affordable price... however, NZXT CAM is an absolute mess, especially considering that it has caused freezing/stuttering on AMD devices for over a year. 

I actually got rid of my Razer Ornata v2 keyboard due to the security issues involving Razer products, to buy an EVGA keyboard and mouse, because I trust EVGA to produce quality products, yet cannot even use the products - I bought, beyond their basic functionality.
2021/09/10 05:04:07
Bobmitch
If you are running antivirus / anti malware...you might try adding Unleashrgb.exe to the exception list or the entire EVGA folder.  Might help
2021/09/10 21:48:48
erkansus2
bobmitch
If you are running antivirus / anti malware...you might try adding Unleashrgb.exe to the exception list or the entire EVGA folder.  Might help

that was one of the first thing I tried.
2021/09/11 01:02:26
Networx2002
Any luck with this issue?
2021/09/11 20:47:39
erkansus2
Networx2002
Any luck with this issue?

no people have been having this problem for about 7-8 months now
2021/09/11 21:41:42
Networx2002
I'm looking for a keyboard and mouse for my son for about $120 ish. What would you guys recommend?

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account