2021/09/01 12:16:41
KingEngineRevUp
This thread is for discussing the EK-Quantum Vector FTW3 waterblock. I understand another thread exist here, where it seems to have been resolved. This discussion will be dedicated to all things in regards to the EK waterblock. 

Plexi version

Acetal Version

Please:
  • Share photos of your build
  • Share performance metrics (temperatures, OC gains over air, etc)
  • Share any advice you may have with the install
  • Feel free to ask questions about the waterblock

Important: As mentioned above, there was a problem with the Revision 1 of this waterblock. Around the mounting holes, there exist components that are very close to the holes. It is highly advised you get these three new standoffs to avoid any shorting issues

EK has revised their waterblock and as of mid-June and after, you should have a waterblock that has three smaller standoffs that will avoid touching these components. To whomever took these photos, please let me know so I can give you the credit. Thank you. 

Edit: Credit to Ineedgfx for taking the pictures.

You will be replacing these three screws here

If you have a revision 1 version of these standoffs, you can contact EK and they will send you three new standoffs for free. Make sure to also send your invoice. support@ekwb.com

If you need to service the block and youre wondering what torque value to aim for so you don't crack the Plexi, read EG1122 post below

eg1122
For those of you that may need to disassemble the block to clean it out, the appropriate torque for the screws holding the Plexi to the cold plate is 0.6Nm (about 5.31 in/lb). I got this information directly from EK support.

2021/09/01 12:21:13
rjbarker
Good stuff !!
Worth noting that any blocks deemed version 2 (after 14 June) have the revised standoffs already installed.
2021/09/01 12:29:45
KingEngineRevUp
I will share my build first I guess. I installed it on a 3080 Ti. I bought adapters from Amazon and Ebay so I can control my aRGB with my corsair controllers. 

https://imgur.com/a/qiGBxzE

I had to redo my waterblock three times. It was quite a headache so hopefully someone installing the block follows some of my advice. 
  • The first time I put my waterblock together,
    • My memory junction temperatures were 80C and my GPU core temperature was 22-24C over water temperature while drawing 450W of power
  • The second time I put it back together, I warmed the card up and the thermal pads. I discovered I was able to tighten the screws even more than before.
    • Memory junction temperatures dropped to 55-60C, GPU core temperatures was 20-22C over water temperature 
  • The third time I put it back together, I doubled up on washers in the 4 screws that mount the waterblock to the die. I also revisited my backplate and saw imprints of the screws in the backplate thermal pads. I cut those off so they wouldn't compress the screws. By doubling up on the washers, I was able to apply more mounting pressure. My results are
    • Memory junction temperatures dropped to 55-60C, GPU core temperatures was 18-22C over water temperature
 Thanks to my lower memory temperatures, I was able to OC my memory past 1200 Mhz, I can now do +1700 Mhz but I have tuned it down to 1650 as a daily driver just to be safe. 

Here are my daily driver stable OCs:
https://www.3dmark.com/pr/1198266
https://www.3dmark.com/spy/22530362

2021/09/01 12:39:28
KingEngineRevUp
If anyone is interested in ordering one, it is in stock at Spartan Liquid Cooling as of this post:

https://spartanliquidcooling.com/product/ek-quantum-vector-ftw3-rtx-3080-3090-d-rgb-nickel-plexi/

You should get free shipping and they don't charge taxes in most states. 
2021/09/08 08:16:10
KingEngineRevUp
Taken from this post: https://www.reddit.com/r/watercooling/comments/pjyiv5/finally_finished_my_hardline_build_in_everyones/hc28m3h/?context=3

This is the first Acetal version of the block I have seen in the wild. It looks pretty nice. The RGB is a light bar instead. 

2021/09/08 09:20:44
TahoeDust
Thanks for the info.  I finally got to order my 3080ti FTW3 yesterday and ordered the EK block and some Thermalright pads.
2021/09/08 09:30:45
KingEngineRevUp
TahoeDust
Thanks for the info.  I finally got to order my 3080ti FTW3 yesterday and ordered the EK block and some Thermalright pads.

The EK pads are really good already, I recommend you return the Thermalright pads and save yourself some money. You just need to make sure to tighten all the screws nicely. My memory junction temperatures are always around 25C over water. 

If water temperatures are at 30C, memory junction is at 55C. If water is at 35C, memory is at 60C. Look at the GPU memory here. 

I don't see any advantage whatsoever in using other pads.
2021/09/08 13:02:45
Mrostom
Hey guys,
When you install the WB do you need to flash the card with another bios? Since the card won’t be using the fans any more?
Is there anything else that needs to be done?
2021/09/08 13:07:37
TahoeDust
KingEngineRevUp
TahoeDust

The EK pads are really good already, I recommend you return the Thermalright pads and save yourself some money. You just need to make sure to tighten all the screws nicely. My memory junction temperatures are always around 25C over water. 

If water temperatures are at 30C, memory junction is at 55C. If water is at 35C, memory is at 60C. Look at the GPU memory here. 

I don't see any advantage whatsoever in using other pads.

Thanks.  I had heard mixed opinions and results.
2021/09/08 13:08:38
TahoeDust
Are you guys using the RGB header on the card to control the lighting on the block?  The RGB header on the card is an RGB output right?

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account