2022/01/28 19:12:33
rjbarker
zyther
kamikazi!

+1 on the tape for the RGB wire.  I used a tiny piece of electrical tape.

Which Wire? the tiny one on the back of the card for the evga logo that you cant see once the blocks on?

No....we were talkng about the rgb wire within the block

2022/01/29 06:51:05
BrianBall7
@managerman, what fittings did you use between your 2 3090's?
2022/02/11 11:40:39
dominic2189
chumeniuk
Just installed the active backplate today and of course the memory temps didn't improve.  Went ahead and ordered the Gelid Extreme pads and will replace them all and repaste the GPU.  I got my 3090 from EVGA on launch day and my block was ordered in December '20.  If everything has worked to this point, should I worry about swapping to the revised standoffs?  

I'm wondering if the backplate and pads aren't making good contact causing the heat transfer to suck. Hmm
2022/02/13 19:28:41
EVGATA
Finally joined the 3080ti FTW3 club and just scored a used EKWB block and discovered the new standoff discussion. Does anyone happen to know the metrics of these 3 standoffs? I'm thinking instead of EKWB sending them, I might want to find if they are readily available somewhere.
Thanks y'all!
2022/02/17 23:17:54
OV3RCLK4
Anyone try using the stock mounting pressure bracket thing that came with the stock air cooler? I am curious if I should have used that for better mounting pressure. I am wondering if it would still allow for the backplate to be installed. I've been running a universal EK water block for years now on the 1080ti/980ti/780ti and my temps were never above 35c on a hot day. I could have just gone with the universal block again but I knew the vrm's and memory chips would need active cooling this time. In the past I used to use thermal adhesive and glue little copper heatsinks to all the vrms and memory chips because a universal block only covers the GPU die (I did this for my 780ti and 980ti).  My 1080ti ran undervolted and overclocked for 99% of its life and I opted out of glueing anything to it. I just kept good airflow over the vrms and memory. It turns out when the GPU die is cooled extremely well, everything else just runs cooler! Seriously the chips and vrms were buck naked! Only the die was cooled and I never had a problem. I wasn't going to risk any of this jerry rigging, corner cutting nonsense on the 3080ti so I went with the EK Quantum Vector. :P Im just not used to seeing temps climbing up to 55c when my room gets hot. Thats 20 degrees warmer than I am used to! Certainly could use some higher speed fans on my radiator now that im pushing 400+ watts of power with just 1 graphics card but dang! Theres a lot of heat in my loop now lol. These cards are hot! I am seriously impressed with how well the stock air cooler performed.
2022/02/26 03:37:37
Spirit_Rises
Do we need to worry abour the missing or faulty screws for the rev 1.0? Do they still produce version 1 ? Or as of today what we buy will be the rev 2.0 ?
2022/02/26 11:16:47
AHowes
Edited sorry.
2022/04/30 07:17:33
wiliks
OV3RCLK4
Anyone try using the stock mounting pressure bracket thing that came with the stock air cooler? I am curious if I should have used that for better mounting pressure. I am wondering if it would still allow for the backplate to be installed.

Hey, I had huge problem with hot-spot temp similar as shared in #194 (60gpu vs 85 hotspot) I tried to repaste the card again with arctic mx4 and when it was opened I tried to fit in the factory pressure back-bracket as well. I think this is a huge help for mounting pressure distribution where it needs to be = on chip itself. When doing so I was able to decrease my hot-spot temps by 20 degrees and my gpu/hotspot delta's are within 10 degree and also overall temps are lower, so awesome mod.

The next part of your question I doubt you will be able to fit it in below watercooled backplate in case you are going to mount one. I dont have any backplate, however its very nice coincidence that 4 gpu mounting screws are same size so you can use pressure bracket with no backplate.

Another question in general: what are your memory junction temperatures guys? I reused same thermal pads when changing the thermal paste and I think I am having about 5-10 degree higher temps on memory junction than before. Its around 70's under gaming/unigine heaven load and ~80's when brute force load such as furmark is goin on. Are these temps acceptable? I dont want to demount this thingy from my PC again as I am very satisfied how GPU temps are goin atm

2022/04/30 11:42:03
PoobahB
wiliks
OV3RCLK4
Another question in general: what are your memory junction temperatures guys? I reused same thermal pads when changing the thermal paste and I think I am having about 5-10 degree higher temps on memory junction than before. Its around 70's under gaming/unigine heaven load and ~80's when brute force load such as furmark is goin on. Are these temps acceptable? I dont want to demount this thingy from my PC again as I am very satisfied how GPU temps are goin atm

Just did a TSE stress run on my 3090 FTW3 Ultra, default clocking. Active backplate, 2x360 radiators & distro plate. Ambient/Fluid average temperatures: 21/34

min/max/avg temps:
GPU - 25/56/52
MemJ - 36/62/58
Hot Spot - 35/70/65
Avg FPS: 67
Boost clock: 1935mhz

I can tell you the first time I mounted this GPU with the active backplate my temps were WAY worse, and were throttling, but taking it apart I could see that I had applied some lateral pressure when putting things back together and some of the thermal pads had slipped. FWIW.

2023/04/09 22:17:28
heslo
Just tore down my EK block on the weekend to clean it out, reassembled and all is good. I've noticed however all temps are fine except for the memory temps that are in the high 80's (while mining, gaming mid 60's) I'm thinking the thermal pads have probably seen their best days and going to replace them with something a bit newer (Gelids?) I assume others have done this before so is the 1mm size the way to go (which EK lists as the thickness they use in their install manual)

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account