2021/09/09 08:59:53
kalsim
Mine started to fail. More disappointments.
2021/09/09 10:26:20
B0baganoosh
kalsim
Mine started to fail. More disappointments.

Yeah, that's 4 that I'm aware of. Definitely a problem there. I suspect there are at least a couple folks at EVGA starting to ask how this could happen lol.

They haven't shipped my cross-ship replacement yet. (so 4 days of back and forth for the support tickets, and on the 3rd business day since the RMA was requested (7 business days total) and they still haven't shipped the replacement). I know someone was asking how long the RMA takes. I'll post the total once it is done. They could still ship it today, it's only 10:25am their time right now (early afternoon for me on the east coast).
2021/09/16 10:22:02
B0baganoosh
Update: I got my new...replacement board in last night, but I didn't have a chance to do more than open the box and take a quick peak at it. I'm planning on swapping it over tonight. Here's how the RMA came:

Refurb-box wasn't taped properly, but serial number confirms it is a refurb :

I haven't taken the board out of the bag yet, but looking through the bag you can see that the board/package bounced around quite a bit in shipping. The board itself doesn't show any damage as far as I can tell from looking through the transparent bag though. Hopefully it's a smooth swap-over tonight. Took 6 days for it to get to the other side of the country. Kind of makes the 14-day window a bit tight.
2021/09/16 10:37:05
Cool GTX
hope it all goes well
2021/09/16 13:00:38
frankd3
Good luck.

Wonder if they figured out what caused the problem.
2021/09/16 20:02:20
B0baganoosh
No dice. I'll drop a picture in tomorrow, but there was a bent pin on the cpu socket of the replacement board. Glad I checked before I got too far into disassembly of my computer. I had only unplugged a couple things before I thought I had better check it first.

In any case, I'm sending the "refurbished" board back. I've fixed bent pins on a socket at work before (A mechanical engineer wanted to take some pictures and measurements of the motherboard, gave it back to me with bent socket pins lol), but I am not fixing it on a board from the factory that is supposed to be replacing my defective board.
2021/09/16 20:49:30
kalsim
Mine arrived yesterday the same exact way. Gonna inspect it in the morning. Also, B0baganooshm, how can you tell it was a refurbished board from the part number?
2021/09/17 06:40:45
B0baganoosh
kalsim
Mine arrived yesterday the same exact way. Gonna inspect it in the morning. Also, B0baganooshm, how can you tell it was a refurbished board from the part number?

Sorry, that was an error on my part (I just edited above). I meant to say serial number. There's a thread here (as well as a few others a google search turned up) that seem to come to the conclusion that when the 11th digit is a 9, it is a recertified part. Also, my board is more than 30 days old, so I knew they'd be sending a refurbished part. My grumps were that it was not actually "refurbished" and in fact damaged.

Here's a picture:

If you open that in a new tab it's a big picture and you can see the bent pin (indicated by the red arrow). It looks much worse from the side, as the pin is kinked and twisted downwards, but I couldn't get the camera to show good detail (focus!) from a close angle. You can clearly see it is off-kilter from the top, so the picture suffices, but from a diagonal it was very clear. It even had potential to short once the other pin was pressed down towards it.

The other issue I've seen with this kind of spring-copper (yes, they are coated with gold too, but it's a thin layer) is that if you bend them a few times the stress makes them considerably weaker. Sometimes you can just bend them back and they'll be perfectly fine, but if you're a little off or the springiness is effected from the multiple creases you get bad contact with the CPU pad and that can lead to intermittent failures and problems. By "bend" I mean a dramatic bend/crease/kink that changes the shape, not normal flexing.

I will add that as soon as I found this, even though it was 7:30pm my time, it was 4:30pm Pacific time and Daniel at customer service picked up the phone and helped me out when I called. He was very kind and with one email containing pictures he set up another RMA. The only real issue is that now I have to wait for this board to get back to them, they give me my collateral back, then take new collateral, and cross-ship me a board again.
2021/09/17 07:16:25
frankd3
"grumps"?

Your a better man than I am, B0ba.
I'd be thoroughly pissed.
All my hopes are with you that EVGA will eventually make it all right.

When it eventually happens to me I'm not sure what I will do.
2021/09/17 07:44:03
B0baganoosh
frankd3
"grumps"?

Your a better man than I am, B0ba.
I'd be thoroughly pissed.
All my hopes are with you that EVGA will eventually make it all right.

When it eventually happens to me I'm not sure what I will do.

Yeah, I think at a different time I would have been the same. I've been working on acceptance being a more regular part of my response to things I can't fix. It is always hard for me to not try and do better, or fix something, but when it is totally out of my control, what does getting super angry help? (nothing at all). My main point was that the terms are pretty clear and known that if you need a replacement within 30 days you get a new product replacement, but after 30 days, you usually get a recertified product. So it was known before I requested an RMA that I'd get a recertified product. I just really hoped it would be in good shape. I read my previous post and it looked like I was whining about getting a refurbished board so I wanted to clarify. I mean yes, I had hoped that I'd get lucky and they'd just send me a new board, but I knew that it was like 95% chance of a refurb. I've had two other replacement parts from EVGA over the years and both were flawless so I had hoped for more of the same experience.

Also, it helps that the problem I have with my board is not causing it to be unusable. If it was a brick I would probably be quite a bit more frustrated lol.

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account