2021/08/30 07:30:01
B0baganoosh
Anybody ever have the actual POST LED Indicator (seven segment displays) fail? I've never seen this on a motherboard before, but mine seem to be failing. Hard to imagine this being anything but a hardware failure, so I've contacted support, but I thought I'd ask as some of you have been doing this a lot longer than me.

First, the central segment/bar on the left digit failed. It won't light up, and whenever the left digit tries to show anything that would normally light it up, all the other bars/segments are very dim. (a 0, 1, or 7 for example still light up normally)

Second, the lower right segment on the right digit has failed. A "2" or "F" still light up fine, but the rest are dim because they require the lower right bar/segment.

Honestly, when the first one went out, I was in no way looking to RMA a motherboard for that as my build is super tight and I was in no hurry to take this apart...should have been years. Now that a second one has gone out, I'm worried the whole thing will just keep failing and then I'll have no idea what POST codes are happening. 

I'll let folks know what happens with support. At first it was a small "oof", but we've just cranked the dial up to medium. I can't imagine someone there'll be happy to know they had to RMA a $429 motherboard for a ~$1.00 7-segment display.

Edit: Here's a video

Edit 2: At this point, I'd like to add a running tally. Current number of 7-segment display LED POST indicator failures from forum members who've replied in this thread or x570/z490/z690 threads:63

Attached Image(s)

2021/09/01 11:47:48
B0baganoosh
So I take it nobody else has ever heard of this failure either? I've tried to google it and search the forums. There's nothing. I think algorithms aren't helping either because all I find are pages about POST codes indicated by the indicator, not that the POST indicator LEDs are failing. Also, it is day 2 and they haven't responded to my ticket yet. That said, i i's still before noon their time so I'll keep my East coast pants on lol.
2021/09/01 12:29:04
_Divlen
Kind of interesting. I came here yesterday because I’m having a similar issue on the Z590 FTW I recently purchased. I’ve been waiting to see the activity on this post.

Mine burnt out slow similarly to what you outline above but now only has the middle segment lit on the right. I too wasn’t going to worry too much about it but I worry it is indicative of issues to come. Let me know what they say on your ticket if possible.
2021/09/01 12:32:20
frankd3
Uh oh!
I'll be starting mine up tomorrow or Friday.
2021/09/01 13:22:45
B0baganoosh
_Divlen
Kind of interesting. I came here yesterday because I’m having a similar issue on the Z590 FTW I recently purchased. I’ve been waiting to see the activity on this post.

Mine burnt out slow similarly to what you outline above but now only has the middle segment lit on the right. I too wasn’t going to worry too much about it but I worry it is indicative of issues to come. Let me know what they say on your ticket if possible.

Oh dear. I really was hoping it was just me for these, but that's why I checked. I wonder if they somehow got a bad batch of indicators or something. As sad as I'm going to be dismantling my system, I honestly feel for the folks at EVGA on this one if they built a bunch of otherwise very nice boards with defective indicators and that causes a slew of RMAs.

Just curious...when did you buy yours? I believe I bought the first board that went to the queue. At least it was the first notification posted on here (5 seconds after launch!), but I don't remember you being on that list.
2021/09/01 13:26:53
_Divlen
I purchased mine on 7/28/21. Agree with you it just may be a bad batch/something like that. Also not looking forward to dismantling or any downtime.
2021/09/01 13:29:14
B0baganoosh
_Divlen
I purchased mine on 7/28/21. Agree with you it just may be a bad batch/something like that. Also not looking forward to dismantling or any downtime.

On the bright side, at least they're in stock.
2021/09/01 13:45:06
B0baganoosh
Yup, Oof-meter at max. I called in and they said I was right that the only explanation is a hardware failure and that it would be extremely rare. It doesn't effect performance, but if I want it fixed, the only way to do that is RMA the board.

2021/09/01 13:53:44
frankd3
Those dates mean that it's possible the whole production run may have defective led readouts.
Oh great.

RMA's would come out of same production run.
Time for the DARK! maybe
2021/09/01 13:57:52
B0baganoosh
frankd3
Those dates mean that it's possible the whole production run may have defective led readouts.
Oh great.

RMA's would come out of same production run.
Time for the DARK! maybe

I was thinking the same thing:

Either they have a bad batch of indicators...or the design is bad and they're over-driving the LEDs, which eventually causes failure. Either way, all the boards would have this issue. So the only way to fix it (without changing the hardware of course) would be to reduce the brightness or how often it is on. I think there's a setting in BIOS to determine what is displayed, but I don't know if you can make it do POST codes then nothing. I'll have to investigate that for my replacement, because if my board did this, and a new one bought on 7/28 did it...it must be pretty wide-spread on these. I can get by without having the CPU temp constantly shown, which is something I've done for years and years now, but I'd like to be able to see the POST codes when needed.

Edit: Just for clarification, the purpose of my conjecture above is twofold: 1: I'm an engineer. I cannot avoid trying to solve a problem like this, even if it means discussing temporary work-arounds or stop-gap measures. Yes, if there's a hardware problem, even something small like this, the proper fix is new hardware and/or a design change that prevents the hardware damage from happening. 2: For anybody else with these boards, it may be important to consider trying to adjust settings if possible as a preventative measure so they don't lose the functionality, or even for the folks at EVGA to update a BIOS if they have any intensity/brightness control under the hood (I'd be surprised if they did though, but who knows) to turn them down maybe 15-25%. It really doesn't need to be that bright, at least in my opinion.

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account