Okay so I believe it is something else / more at this point. I started running into this same error with the same pci ID listed in the event log. I have tested each component, reinstalled bios v1.0.6, and left all cpu/ram oc at stock settings and am still getting it.
One interesting finding is now after a bit more time, others are reporting the same issues with other vendor motherboards across the interwebs. Most of them I have stumbled across were Intel 11th setups. One example: https://www.reddit.com/r/techsupport/comments/p4l7yd/event_17_whea_logger/
. Exact same device id as mine: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_4C01. In a few places, folks indicated DEV_4C01 is Intel's PEG10 so potentially related to the integrated graphics? I am using a Kingpin for my GPU but will play around with the various iGPU settings in bios now to see if any difference.
A lot of similar findings as my earlier posts on this.
- Reflashed bios and tested on two of the three bios chips on the board
- Reset all cpu/ram to stock settings and reseated them
- Disabled one NIC, the SATA, m2 key-e which resulted in the bios config summary saying PCI-e root pots 7 and 8 will be disabled with these changes
- Disabled igpu
- Moved GPU to the second slot and its running at 4.0 8x
- Tried with and without 4.0 riser cables
- The only way I can consistently to get the error to stop occurring is when I statically set the pci-e slot for the GPU to gen3
One may also note that in the above reddit post on their MSI board, they had the exact same issue until they changed the gpu pci-e gen to 3