2021/07/29 08:33:51
ksgnow2010
KeithW19
The bigger issue is that EVGA hasnt said anything. They havent even said "Hey everyone, if you are running <insert card(s)> please do not play the New World closed beta as we are investigating reports of failed GPUs. If your GPU has failed please request an RMA and we will replace it".

It also seems so far that Rev 0.1 cards are affected far more than Rev 1.0 cards. I dont believe I've seen a Rev 1.0 card failure yet though I'm sure they are out there (just as there are GPUs from other manufacturers and even AMD that have failed while playing New World). And honestly I've seen very few people complaining. Mostly just coming to report the issue and ask for help and eventually RMA their GPU. EVGA is replacing them which is great but a lot of people are worried they are simply being replaced with another GPU that will fail.

Its also coming to light that its been happening in other games as well so the worry now is that we are essentially playing russian roulette when we play games :p

Any cards that failed are still working through the RMA process...and I would imagine they would have failed samples to analyze pretty soon.  Until they analyze this, they don't really know if New World is what caused this, or a driver issues, or a board issue, or a GPU issue...etc.

I understand people's frustrations...but the process of figuring out why something is breaking takes time.  EVGA should have some sort of press release or twitter statement stating that they are looking into the issue.  However, if they did that, it wouldn't be enough for all the people who think they are playing "russian roulette"...nothing will be enough.

So, in absence of knowing what is really going on, they are doing what they can do...replacing units under warranty.
2021/07/29 08:48:29
B0baganoosh
ksgnow2010
Wow - I really need to learn more about this game that is so fantastic that people are willing to risk $2000 worth of hardware, and then come here and complain that they just risked $2000 worth of hardware.

jaredbyoung

Like a moth to a flame I guess.

Why is it so important to play New World right now that you're willing to risk a $2000 card that anyone would be lucky to only pay $2000 dollars for?

I was glad to see two other people asking the same question I keep having. I don't understand what keeps drawing people to go "oh look, people are having problems with this game and the card I have...let's take a look-see!" lol. I just can't even fathom it being that important.
2021/07/29 09:04:02
KeithW19
I dont think people are doing that... there has no been no official guidance or anything from EVGA on the issue. Amazon has said the issue is not the game but capped menu fps as a "fix" which doesnt seem to have helped at all. I think people are simply wanting to play a game with their GPU plain and simple. And since the cards are being replaced there is some logic in seeing if your card is affected and getting a replacement that isnt affected. EVGA has not acknowledged anything or advised anyone to not play the game in any way. If they want to spend resources sending out replacement cards thats on them. If it means I can get a Rev 1.0 card without the power distribution issues then I'll take it.

If you had a car that they found out would break the axle when making a certain type of left turn would you just avoid making left turns from that point on? Or would you get it replaced and not have the issue anymore?

If you are dependent on the card then by all means avoid the game to see what shakes out. Worst case EVGA never officially says anything and then every game that comes out you have to worry that its going to brick your GPU. Best case they acknowledge the issue and either provide a fix via BIOS update or start an official recall/replacement program for affected cards.
2021/07/29 09:48:27
B0baganoosh
KeithW19
I dont think people are doing that... there has no been no official guidance or anything from EVGA on the issue. Amazon has said the issue is not the game but capped menu fps as a "fix" which doesnt seem to have helped at all. I think people are simply wanting to play a game with their GPU plain and simple. And since the cards are being replaced there is some logic in seeing if your card is affected and getting a replacement that isnt affected. EVGA has not acknowledged anything or advised anyone to not play the game in any way. If they want to spend resources sending out replacement cards thats on them. If it means I can get a Rev 1.0 card without the power distribution issues then I'll take it.

If you had a car that they found out would break the axle when making a certain type of left turn would you just avoid making left turns from that point on? Or would you get it replaced and not have the issue anymore?

If you are dependent on the card then by all means avoid the game to see what shakes out. Worst case EVGA never officially says anything and then every game that comes out you have to worry that its going to brick your GPU. Best case they acknowledge the issue and either provide a fix via BIOS update or start an official recall/replacement program for affected cards.

Not the best analogy, but I get your point. I've seen many posts in here that are literally "I've read cards are bricking in this game. I'm going to go play the game to find out if mine bricks. Yup it bricked (and some who said no issues)".

I think a better analogy would be that there's a new side road you can take with your car. Then all these stories come out about other people with the same car as you keep having their engine die when they take that road. You don't have to take that road, nobody is making you. It might have nothing to do with that road. Your car company is currently investigating the issue but hasn't made any official announcements yet. Do you, full-knowing there have been issues, just go "hey, lets check out this road!" or do you wait a few weeks until someone actually figures out what the real problem is and then try to get the car company to fix it assuming it's a problem with that car model? Honestly, I'd personally avoid that road for a while. It looks new and fancy, but there's no reason I have to take that road.

They're already replacing the 0.1 cards if the power distribution is bad. there are posts and confirmation from EVGA on that. They're replacing cards that do fail, and nobody who's bought a 3090 should be anywhere near the end of their 3 year warranty. I guess if you're trying to figure out immediately if you have a suspect card before some other games comes out in 3 months that you are dying to play and now is a better time to go through the RMA process for you, you might risk it...but I haven't seen anybody make that claim. It seems they just really want to get into New World...right now...no matter the cost. 
2021/08/01 00:32:34
trilesnik
Update for everyone: I got my RMA. It was a 1.0 revision card so now I have to see how it performs! I also fully cleaned out my computer of dust (not too much). So lets hope!

Best,
Trilesnik
2021/08/02 06:48:26
clubkevin11
trilesnik
Update for everyone: I got my RMA. It was a 1.0 revision card so now I have to see how it performs! I also fully cleaned out my computer of dust (not too much). So lets hope!

Best,
Trilesnik

How did it work out? Does it still cause problems in new world?
2021/08/02 09:54:55
trilesnik
Hi Kevin,

I was very busy so I didn't have a chance to play it and now the beta is down... So ill let you know when the actual game comes out.

Best,
Trilesnik
2021/10/06 13:16:15
Paul_Reitz
Just got my RMA and its a .1 card so trying it out to see if I get another black screen in New World.
2021/10/06 13:32:10
Paul_Reitz
instant black screen on a new .1 card 3090
2021/10/06 14:14:57
jaredbyoung
Paul_Reitz
instant black screen on a new .1 card 3090

Congratulations I guess...

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account