2021/07/27 10:11:07
KeithW19
trilesnik
For anyone else checking, I called EVGA and they said there is no guarantee it will be a 1.0 revision board. This worries me... Oh well, lets see what happens.

I dont understand how they can send out 0.1 boards without a fix in place. It seems they are just a ticking time bomb at this point
2021/07/27 10:23:08
zaikk
trilesnik
I appreciate it. I took a look at im at revision .1

Do you think I need to tell EVGA that I want a 1.0 revision card or do you think they are all revision 1.0 at this point?

Best,
Trilesnik

You get rev 1.0 by doing the special rma. also called 3090oc RMA.
2021/07/27 14:14:01
RogueMaster
trilesnik
For anyone else checking, I called EVGA and they said there is no guarantee it will be a 1.0 revision board. This worries me... Oh well, lets see what happens.

Well, that's just stupid AF.

I'd love to see them do a blanket recall of the 0.1 cards, to be honest. I've a new build that's almost ready, and I just know that the 3090 is going to end up dead eventually, once I move it from the old machine to the new one.

Sending out suspect cards that are known to be prone to failure, to replace identical cards that have failed is just pure, unadulterated idiocy.

EDIT: Just sent a tweet to Jacob to ask WTH. This really seems odd, unless there's a newer revision than 1.0.
2021/07/27 16:13:36
trilesnik
@roguemaster

If you get an answer please let me know. Something that was interesting is if I go to MSI Afterburner and put power limit% to 107 and temp limit to 91 celcius, the black screen and fan to 100% seems to have gone away. (Just for new world)

Best,
Trilesnik
2021/07/27 19:08:17
RogueMaster
trilesnik
@roguemaster

If you get an answer please let me know. Something that was interesting is if I go to MSI Afterburner and put power limit% to 107 and temp limit to 91 celcius, the black screen and fan to 100% seems to have gone away. (Just for new world)

Best,
Trilesnik

Radio silence thus far.

Edit 1: 07/28/21 - 2PM West coast time, and still no reply. Seems like they've circled the wagons while they try to sort out the mess.
2021/07/28 21:17:12
trilesnik
The RMA request has been approved so now I'm hoping that I get a rev 1 board sometime in the next day or two since I live in Cali. Here is to a more stable card. I think I also need to fan out my computer and clean it up to let the temps settle. I was running a bit hot. I'm idling around 55 degrees with 2 idle games on. (Its very hot in Cali). I see over the last couple days 83 degrees was my max, which I hope is below the max before it does the black screen. If it isn't I might have found the problem? I have a bunch of case fans but not the most optimal location of the computer.
2021/07/29 01:41:32
JulienA1
Is there any way to know if I have a good revision on my 3080 FTW3 Ultra Gaming ?
2021/07/29 04:25:22
Arrowhead2010
trilesnik
@roguemaster

Best,
Trilesnik

That "fix" is temporary. The crashing will come back. Those of us with failed cards have gone through this dying process before. A card that crashes like this is a card that's on its way out. You can delay the inevitable, but it is still inevitable.
2021/07/29 05:47:09
ksgnow2010
Wow - I really need to learn more about this game that is so fantastic that people are willing to risk $2000 worth of hardware, and then come here and complain that they just risked $2000 worth of hardware.

Folks - relax - there is no "magic bullet" to figure out what is going on.  When an electronic circuit blows up, it takes out other components with it.  It's difficult to find root cause as you have to sort through lots of things and eliminate possible causes 1 by 1.

EVGA has a reputation for the best customer service and for doing the right thing...that is why I buy EVGA hardware.  Does the current situation look dire for them?  Yes.  Will they make it right?  Yes.

All this conspiracy talk and "they won't do that due to a potential class action law suite" is entirely stupid.  You don't grow a company, get loyal customers, and throw that all away to save a buck...just doesn't happen in the normal world.  Research EVGA and it's track record...and it won't happen here.

Just relax and let the engineers get to root cause so they can implement a corrective action.

Oh - and if it's so dang important to play this game, get yourself a used 2000 or 1000 series card...if you "must" play it before this issue gets resolved.
2021/07/29 07:09:02
KeithW19
The bigger issue is that EVGA hasnt said anything. They havent even said "Hey everyone, if you are running <insert card(s)> please do not play the New World closed beta as we are investigating reports of failed GPUs. If your GPU has failed please request an RMA and we will replace it".

It also seems so far that Rev 0.1 cards are affected far more than Rev 1.0 cards. I dont believe I've seen a Rev 1.0 card failure yet though I'm sure they are out there (just as there are GPUs from other manufacturers and even AMD that have failed while playing New World). And honestly I've seen very few people complaining. Mostly just coming to report the issue and ask for help and eventually RMA their GPU. EVGA is replacing them which is great but a lot of people are worried they are simply being replaced with another GPU that will fail.

Its also coming to light that its been happening in other games as well so the worry now is that we are essentially playing russian roulette when we play games :p

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account