2021/11/02 18:03:15
Endspire
Just seems following the warranty to the letter is a tough ask when the fault lies with the manufacturer. They’re passing the labor off to the consumer for a unit they’re going to refurbish and flip. The more I do, the less they have to do.

You’re delusional if you think they’re going to eat the full cost of the unit.

No, it’s not too much work, but it IS greed shrouded in charity.

Edit: I already regret using the word “greed”. If it were greed they would be happy to take the AIO cooler and resell it as well. Although it was kind of them to offer to send me the necessary hardware, why wouldn’t they just accept it the condition it is in currently? They could verify non-functionality either way.
2021/11/02 19:44:22
Fayalite
I think you are not happy with the process which I can understand, but they sell you 1 product, and for the purpose of the warranty they don't want to be liable from damaging your other product (which they provide no warranty on). Sure 1 might argue, but they are selling the hybrid kit, same reason, if they damage the hybrid kit, they will have to replace it as well.

I believe it is a pain, but we are living in a society with profiteering, some are doing advanced RMA for instance when they already scalped it, and are getting at the MSRP another one to scalp... Reason for the high deposit for advanced RMA.

They also need to protect themselves, which is a pain for those who play by the book.
2021/11/02 20:19:22
ty_ger07
Endspire
Just seems following the warranty to the letter is a tough ask when the fault lies with the manufacturer. They’re passing the labor off to the consumer for a unit they’re going to refurbish and flip. The more I do, the less they have to do.

You’re delusional if you think they’re going to eat the full cost of the unit.

No, it’s not too much work, but it IS greed shrouded in charity.

Edit: I already regret using the word “greed”. If it were greed they would be happy to take the AIO cooler and resell it as well. Although it was kind of them to offer to send me the necessary hardware, why wouldn’t they just accept it the condition it is in currently? They could verify non-functionality either way.

It's not delusion.  It is not greed.  It's just the way it is.  It is the way it has always been.  It is cut and dry.  A specific and established requirement.  Something set in stone.  No funny business.  No exceptions.  No ways for anyone to try to game the system.  If you buy "A", you have to RMA "A".  No modifying, exchanging, or upgrading or downgrading the product that is returned to EVGA.
2021/11/04 18:30:45
jdaline
Endspire
Piggy backing off this thread to say I’ve attempted to start the RMA process. My 3090 also went up in smoke playing New World.

Unfortunately I bought and installed the hybrid kit from EVGA and they’re telling me I have to revert the card to its original manufacturer configuration with all the original hardware, thermal pads, and heatsink…

I told them I didn’t even care about the radiator or anything but they said no and told me they’d send me whatever hardware and thermal pads I needed.

I would have never installed the hybrid kit if I knew it would doubly screw me over.

Yeah, to be completely fair to EVGA, even as an owner of a bricked 3090 waiting for a replacement myself, what they're asking of you is extremely good by industry standards. IIRC they did spell this process out in some of the older threads about after market coolers or replacing the thermal pads and that it wouldn't void your warranty, so some extra leg work if they are willing to help you honor it is pretty unusual if you've made aftermarket changes.

To put it into context, I RMA'ed a ~$1500 monitor from Asus which suffered a power failure out of the blue and they attempted to void my warranty because of a literal smudge they put on the monitor themselves despite me taking photographs of the entire thing from all angles as I packed it into the shipping box which was reinforced with MDF (Medium-density fiberboard) panels around the back and screen. I had to literally deep dive on the Asus subreddit to get the contact info for the NA QA director explaining why this was a bogus denial of warranty (with proof in the photos as I had another phone showing the shipping date) before I could actually get them to even respond to the photos I took and honor it and replace the monitor which legitimately failed. I'll never buy another product from Asus after that fiasco again. I've only done one other RMA with EVGA before this experience though and both of them have worked like you think they should work, so despite frustrations they are handling the situation better than most companies this has affected.
2021/11/04 18:45:34
ZoranC
jdaline
Endspire
Piggy backing off this thread to say I’ve attempted to start the RMA process. My 3090 also went up in smoke playing New World.

Unfortunately I bought and installed the hybrid kit from EVGA and they’re telling me I have to revert the card to its original manufacturer configuration with all the original hardware, thermal pads, and heatsink…

I told them I didn’t even care about the radiator or anything but they said no and told me they’d send me whatever hardware and thermal pads I needed.

I would have never installed the hybrid kit if I knew it would doubly screw me over.

Yeah, to be completely fair to EVGA, even as an owner of a bricked 3090 waiting for a replacement myself, what they're asking of you is extremely good by industry standards. IIRC they did spell this process out in some of the older threads about after market coolers or replacing the thermal pads and that it wouldn't void your warranty, so some extra leg work if they are willing to help you honor it is pretty unusual if you've made aftermarket changes.

To put it into context, I RMA'ed a ~$1500 monitor from Asus which suffered a power failure out of the blue and they attempted to void my warranty because of a literal smudge they put on the monitor themselves despite me taking photographs of the entire thing from all angles as I packed it into the shipping box which was reinforced with MDF (Medium-density fiberboard) panels around the back and screen. I had to literally deep dive on the Asus subreddit to get the contact info for the NA QA director explaining why this was a bogus denial of warranty (with proof in the photos as I had another phone showing the shipping date) before I could actually get them to even respond to the photos I took and honor it and replace the monitor which legitimately failed. I'll never buy another product from Asus after that fiasco again. I've only done one other RMA with EVGA before this experience though and both of them have worked like you think they should work, so despite frustrations they are handling the situation better than most companies this has affected.

Yes and no. While it is absolutely great that EVGA will accept RMA for item that has been modified with aftermarket part as long as item has been put back in original condition there is, IMHO, absolutely no need nor sense to insist on that if modification has been done with EVGA's own part, like EVGA hybrid kit on EVGA card. In that case it should be sufficient to ship it in modified condition as long as all parts from item and a kit are shipped back.

And if you think EVGA's RMA is perfect I believe that EVGA, while doing better than others, still has room to do much better. I have received replacement items that were in the condition EVGA wouldn't, I believe, accept if they were shipped like that from me to them.
2021/11/05 09:23:46
jdaline
ZoranC

Yes and no. While it is absolutely great that EVGA will accept RMA for item that has been modified with aftermarket part as long as item has been put back in original condition there is, IMHO, absolutely no need nor sense to insist on that if modification has been done with EVGA's own part, like EVGA hybrid kit on EVGA card. In that case it should be sufficient to ship it in modified condition as long as all parts from item and a kit are shipped back.

And if you think EVGA's RMA is perfect I believe that EVGA, while doing better than others, still has room to do much better. I have received replacement items that were in the condition EVGA wouldn't, I believe, accept if they were shipped like that from me to them.

Good points, I misread the line as a "hybrid kit for EVGA", rather than "from EVGA." If it's from them then yeah it's pretty annoying to be asked to revert something that extensive when it's all from the same manufacturer especially in light of the known defects.
2021/11/08 10:53:10
xtremegamer
CAN 3080 TI FTW 3 PLAY GAME ? 
2021/11/08 13:50:56
sethleigh
xtremegamer
CAN 3080 TI FTW 3 PLAY GAME ? 

I've been playing New World on my EVGA 3080ti FTW3 for two or three weeks now. So far so good.
Out of an abundance of caution I did apply a 117fps framerate cap at the NVidia driver level, with GSYNC and VSYNC on. My monitor refreshes up to 120hz, so with the occasional overshoot of the framerate cap by 1-2fps that essentially maxes out what I can see.

In New World I see in the 80s fps in towns with other people around, and 117-118fps locked in hard pretty much everywhere else. Before applying the framerate cap I'd often see very high framerates of up to into the 200s in certain places, like standing atop a cliff looking out over some water towards land that was blurred and beyond the rendering range. In territory where I would otherwise be capped out at 117fps I've seen it drop as low as the 60s if a ton of fighting is going on, like 15 people fighting a lvl 65 corruption portal with several mobs, lots of AE effects going on, etc.

My 3080ti is still running on air cooling while I wait for my water block to arrive, and I've been playing either with no OC or with a very gentle OC (+200vram +105gpu). I won't try playing New World with anything more than that until my water block arrives.

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account