2021/09/09 11:43:12
WebsterRKL
Anyhoo, if you guys want, I'll post up the DRAM voltages for each 5333kit profile. It's possibly the same voltages for the mem kit no matter what bios EVGA or Asus or maybe only a bit different.

Anyway the DRAM voltages for each OC profile will get you "in the ballpark" close enough with the Gskill kit, then you can fine tune from there.

I've only attempted 5333 5600 and 5866Mhz profiles. There is a 6133Mhz profile out there which includes extremely high voltages and I don't want to stress my components that much on air, plus already know I could never run 6133Mhz DDR4 as a daily work OC, so I'm not even going to try it. But there is a youtube video a step by step how to do it.

Here's my best with the Gskill 5333 kit: 

5333Mhz CL19 5.2Ghz CPU
5600Mhz CL20 5.2Ghz CPU
5866Mhz CL21 5.1Ghz CPU

5600Mhz CL20 5.2CPU is the daily sweetspot in my opinion, at least for my work apps.

Attached Image(s)

2021/09/09 11:51:25
WebsterRKL
Here's the 5866Mhz CL21 CPU 5.1Ghz profile. It's SCREAMING FAST! Boot times 4.5-5seconds MS Office apps instantaneous! 

But as always - there's a caveat, you need some airflow over the ram kit or it will approach 38C. yikes! 

Also, as you can already tell, as the mem clocks increase, the CPU clocks decrease. I'm calling that the "give and take" of Rocket Lake.

If you are water-cooling your CPU, you may have much better results than mine, but I have to step down the CPU OC for every profile increase in mem OC with the Gskill 5333 Hynix kit. 

Attached Image(s)

2021/09/10 12:18:16
WebsterRKL
Here's a screenshot of the 5333 kit's thermals.

Looks good here, but it doesn't stay this way, depending on DRAM voltage I've seen the two modules reach 38C briefly, yea pretty scary, I added a 120mm Noctua fan for the 5866Mhz CL 21 CPU 5.1 profile and temps went way down and maintained at 34C.

Here's the ballpark voltages I'm using:

Simple and Quick XMP with no CPU OC:

5333Mhz CL20 1.600v
5600Mhz CL21 1.625v 
5866Mhz CL22 1.725v (I know what you're thinking, omg that voltage is high)

...but for this kit it's fine just watch your thermals if you begin to approach 38C just make certain you have some airflow over the modules within your case or chassis. 

Attached Image(s)

2021/09/10 13:01:26
Nereus

Impressive ram you have there!

38C is not a high temperature at all for memory with those voltages imho. My 4800MHz @ 1.55V sits at 41C just idling, peaks ~48C when stress testing the memory for about 5 minutes. From an admin at g.skill, temps can go up to 80C under extreme load [link]. According to JEDEC DDR4 is specified with an operating temperature of up to 85°C.

My 2 sticks are sitting directly above the CPU block (Z590 Dark with Optimus Signature V2) rather than alongside it, and considering the CPU block is just a big hunk of brass, certainly some heat will be rising up from it, so that might explain why my ram temps are higher than what you have. Ambient 78F btw.

More discussion here on DDR4 temps.

2021/09/10 13:58:08
WebsterRKL
Nereus

38C is not a high temperature at all for memory with those voltages imho. My 4800MHz @ 1.55V sits at 41C just idling, peaks ~48C when stress testing the memory for about 5 minutes. From an admin at g.skill, temps can go up to 80C under extreme load []. According to JEDEC DDR4 is specified with an operating temperature of up to 85°C.

My 2 sticks are sitting directly above the CPU block (Z590 Dark with ) rather than alongside it, and considering the CPU block is just a big hunk of brass, certainly some heat will be rising up from it, so that might explain why my ram temps are higher than what you have. Ambient 78F btw.

More on DDR4 temps.

Yes, I'm not sure why 38C begins to scare me, I think someone said in an overclocking video, maybe a Buildzoid video I think he said his b-die kit lost it's overclock at 42C and reset back to stock JDEC specs at 42C or something like that, maybe I'm wrong.

I know some overclocking with b-die and Hynix DJR is done at 2.0volts but that's certainly not me. lol

I'm just running two very simple home office air builds Z390 Dark and 8086K and M13A and 11600K.

I wanted the Z590 Dark so badly that gorgeous layout and all that copper, but it just arrived so late and I really wanted to get a new work build up and running back in late April when the RKL CPUs launched and Silicon Lottery got his 1st batch, Intel sometimes puts out the best bins at the very beginning of a launch, or so I've heard, I dunno, but do think I got a pretty ok 11600K - it's NOT tier 1, only a tier 2 bin, SL had no tier 1 i5s to sell and only binned one batch, geez.

Trying to put up photos of both my builds so you guys can get an idea of the type of cooling and what you can expect from the 5333Mhz kit but I guess my pics are too large? Anyway I'll keep trying. 
2021/09/10 14:26:47
Nereus
WebsterRKL
Nereus

38C is not a high temperature at all for memory with those voltages imho. My 4800MHz @ 1.55V sits at 41C just idling, peaks ~48C when stress testing the memory for about 5 minutes. From an admin at g.skill, temps can go up to 80C under extreme load []. According to JEDEC DDR4 is specified with an operating temperature of up to 85°C.

My 2 sticks are sitting directly above the CPU block (Z590 Dark with ) rather than alongside it, and considering the CPU block is just a big hunk of brass, certainly some heat will be rising up from it, so that might explain why my ram temps are higher than what you have. Ambient 78F btw.

More on DDR4 temps.

Yes, I'm not sure why 38C begins to scare me, I think someone said in an overclocking video, maybe a Buildzoid video I think he said his b-die kit lost it's overclock at 42C and reset back to stock JDEC specs at 42C or something like that, maybe I'm wrong.

I know some overclocking with b-die and Hynix DJR is done at 2.0volts but that's certainly not me. lol

I'm just running two very simple home office air builds Z390 Dark and 8086K and M13A and 11600K.

I wanted the Z590 Dark so badly that gorgeous layout and all that copper, but it just arrived so late and I really wanted to get a new work build up and running back in late April when the RKL CPUs launched and Silicon Lottery got his 1st batch, Intel sometimes puts out the best bins at the very beginning of a launch, or so I've heard, I dunno, but do think I got a pretty ok 11600K - it's NOT tier 1, only a tier 2 bin, SL had no tier 1 i5s to sell and only binned one batch, geez.

Trying to put up photos of both my builds so you guys can get an idea of the type of cooling and what you can expect from the 5333Mhz kit but I guess my pics are too large? Anyway I'll keep trying. 

I did see mention of B-die issues at high temps - that last link on my previous post discusses some of that - but the issues seem to be the exception rather than the rule.

A lot of us on EVGA Z590 are having issues getting the 5333MHz to even run at spec XMP (actually, ALL of us, if I'm not mistaken, lol). You're getting good clocks on it with a Z390, and I've heard ASUS and a few other major mobo suppliers are not having the issues we are with it on 11th Gen. This may, as someone posted earlier, be due to a more mature BIOS on the other mobo suppliers. Hopefully with time...

On the side, I just reinstalled Guild Wars 2 last night after several years away from it. It's a relatively poorly-optimized CPU intensive game and appears to run mostly on just 1 core. I crashed 3 times to desktop last night, not sure if it was the CPU or GPU or even the RAM causing it. There seems to be a lot of performance variation with 11900K chips. I limited the frames to 60 and that seems to have resolved it to some extent, but they really need to optimize that game. Shouldn't be surprised I guess - it's near 10 years old (although they recently released a new DLC), and apparently GW2 is based on the original GW1 platform, so it's well dated. Hanging out for BF2042.

2021/09/10 15:04:22
WebsterRKL
Nereus
WebsterRKL
Nereus

More on DDR4 temps.

I did see mention of B-die issues at high temps - that last link on my previous post discusses some of that - but the issues seem to be the exception rather than the rule.

A lot of us on EVGA Z590 are having issues getting the 5333MHz to even run at spec XMP (actually, ALL of us, if I'm not mistaken, lol). You're getting good clocks on it with a Z390, and I've heard ASUS and a few other major mobo suppliers are not having the issues we are with it on 11th Gen. This may, as someone posted earlier, be due to a more mature BIOS on the other mobo suppliers. Hopefully with time...

On the side, I just reinstalled Guild Wars 2 last night after several years away from it. It's a relatively poorly-optimized CPU intensive game and appears to run mostly on just 1 core. I crashed 3 times to desktop last night, not sure if it was the CPU or GPU or even the RAM causing it. There seems to be a lot of performance variation with 11900K chips. I limited the frames to 60 and that seems to have resolved it to some extent, but they really need to optimize that game. Shouldn't be surprised I guess - it's near 10 years old (although they recently released a new DLC), and apparently GW2 is based on the original GW1 platform, so it's well dated. Hanging out for BF2042.

I hear ya man, my plan was to return the 5333Mhz kit to Newegg within the 30day window if the 11600K's IMC could not even run the simple XMP profile, I also believed the Hynix kit would not have much OC tuning headroom available to it and I thought there was a 90% chance I'd be returning the mem kit - I was happily wrong on both counts. 4weeks prior had I grabbed the Z590 Gskill 4800/17 ultimate b-die kit and was running that amazing kit at 4800Mhz 16CL and the wonderful 5066Mhz 17CL, so I didn't think it could get any better and everyone was telling me bad things about Hynix memory CJR and DJR, so my expectations of the 5333Mhz kit were very low.

For gaming, I guess everyone is trying for gear 1 and 3866/14 the super low latency advantage. I tried that profile with the 4800/17 b-die kit with my work apps and it was unimpressive, seems my work apps absolutely LOVE high Mhz gear 2 instead of super low latency profiles.

Here's some reduced size photos of my 2 test bench home office air builds, I normally don't have much airflow to the 5333 kit there's only a slight 1cm overhang of the 140mm Noctua fan downfiring onto the heatpipes and the mem kit, although it is an open air build.

If you guys are using custom water or have 2-3 fans cooling your memory modules directly, you will most likely achieve much better results (lower thermals - higher clocks) that I've experienced.

Oh well, I reduced the size of the build photos still cannot upload. 

2021/09/10 15:30:46
WebsterRKL
OK, well I got one image to upload, that's something I guess. lol

The (2) Z590 RAM kits I got for Rocket Lake - b-die and Hynix. 

Attached Image(s)

2021/09/10 15:37:14
WebsterRKL
One image per post apparently, lol.

Here's the awesome Z390 Dark 8086K home office build. Yay! 

Simple test bench and that older 3200Mhz 14CL kit has been updated - moved the 4600Mhz 18CL Gskill Royal Silver kit over to that build after the photo.

Attached Image(s)

2021/09/10 15:43:18
WebsterRKL
Here's the Z590 test bench with the 5333Mhz kit. And you can see only a single 140mm fan downfiring onto the Noctua heatsink and not offering much airflow to the 5333 kit, although it is an open air build so the room AC cools things down.

This build is where I placed a 120mm Noctua over the 5333 kit at the 5866Mhz CL21 CPU 5.1Ghz profile.

You should not need a dedicated RAM fan for the 5333 and the 5600 profiles.

Z590 Epiphenomenal Rocket Bench

Primochill WetBench SX Pro test bench
Aquaero 6 LT fan controller
Seasonic TX-700 fanless titanium
11600K i5 SP79 5.5Ghz capable
M13Apex
Gskill F4-4800C17D-16GTRS Gskill F4-5333C22D-16GTES (shiny RAMs) 😃
WD_Black SN850 500GB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD
AMD WX-4100 workstation card
Noctua NH-P1 Passive/Active Cooler w/Noctua 2000rpm PWM industrial fan 800rpm
Benchmark Scores: 5.5Ghz Single Thread Cinebench R15 - 268 CPUZ ST - 704

Attached Image(s)