2021/05/22 06:22:04
Limeay
Hi , im having issues posting after building this new system with old pc hardware. I upgraded from a gigabyte g1 sniper m5, 8gbx2 hyperX Ddr3 RAM and i7 4770k. I had no issues before until I replaced the 3 components for these. The cpu should be a used working part and so is the RAM. The motherboard is new in box.

Hi im having a evga d6 error. Not sure whats causing it. Just built my pc. I really believe evga sold me a mobo that does not support 9th gen Intel cpus out of the factory considering they released this like in 2017 or 2018 and yet its 2021 now. I bought this on February 2021 I believe. What a pita. Gonna try and buy a 8th cheap cpu and try to see if I can get a post from pc I guess if nobody else has suggestions.

Read what I've done so far. Also Sajin commented down below processor failure. Pretty sure its not.

Someone that had this same issue and found out to fix it was to update bios.

Was hoping someone would help modify the bios to support extra features. Totally off topic:

Would be awesome to have llc calibration features and speedstep toggle and hpet toggle if that isn't there already.

I get 5 beeps and a d6 error code.

System specs:
Intel core i7 9700k
EVGA Z370 MICRO
Gskill ddr4 3200mhz RAM
Seasonic platinum 860w
Nvidia gtx 1080 ti
Samsung 970 evo plus 512gb
Noctua NH-D14
Caselabs s5
ASUS pg278qr
Logitech GPW
Cooler Master cm storm quickfiretk

I tried taking off the 6 pin power to the motherboard that supplies video card extra power that only Evga has this type of feature. It didn't post regardless 6 pin power connector was in the mobo.

I tried to reset the mobo from reset switch inside

Tried bios switch from 2nd position to 1st position. No luck

Switched to different display port ports. No luck.

Tried 2nd pcie slot. Makes different noise but still d6 error code.

I'm also using dp cable to the video card. I do not have hdmi cable to test out. I've tried both ports on backside of video card. No luck.

Reseated CPU and RAM. Checked for bent pins or missing ones. No luck. Must really be a bios update I need from 8th gen cpu. Nothing else I can do.

Also I took out CMOS battery too.

If I have to take this apart and somehow grab a old 8th gen cpu from somewhere it'll be somewhat a pain to take out because of the cooler bracket interferes with taking out cpu but prefer not to do all that for nothing though. Im hoping this is a quick fix and just needs a bios flash to latest version hopefully...

Any help would be great thanks!
2021/05/23 12:53:00
snake_solid
Hi ! Your trouble shooting is coming from your 9700K since your mainboard was built to only support 8th gen from the beginning... It will support 9th gen only after a bios update meaning that you have to borrow from a friend an 8th gen cpu to do it 
2021/05/23 13:06:37
Sajin
5 beeps indicates processor failure. You may need to update the bios on your motherboard to fix the 5 beeps. D6 points to the gpu not being detected. Try booting the pc with the gpu removed from the system, and only using the igpu for video to see if that helps get rid of the d6 error.
2021/05/23 15:07:55
Limeay
Sajin
5 beeps indicates processor failure. You may need to update the bios on your motherboard to fix the 5 beeps. D6 points to the gpu not being detected. Try booting the pc with the gpu removed from the system, and only using the igpu for video to see if that helps get rid of the d6 error.

Uhm there's no hdmi or dp out on this mobo, I have integrated graphics but no hdmi or dp out from motherboard. Thats the problem.

Are you sure 100% processor failure?

I bought this processor used. This should still be good hopefully. Im thinking about buying a celeron g4900 or i3 8100 to post and see if its a bios update I need and/or maybe processor failure too?
2021/05/23 15:52:36
Limeay
snake_solid
Hi ! Your trouble shooting is coming from your 9700K since your mainboard was built to only support 8th gen from the beginning... It will support 9th gen only after a bios update meaning that you have to borrow from a friend an 8th gen cpu to do it 

Gotcha. I guess I'll try to purchase a used cpu on ebay. I assumed evga updated... atleast enough to where 9700k will post. Unfortunately its really old I guess.
2021/05/23 16:29:55
Sajin
Limeay
Sajin

Uhm there's no hdmi or dp out on this mobo, I have integrated graphics but no hdmi or dp out from motherboard. Thats the problem.

I bought this processor used. This should still be good hopefully. Im thinking about buying a celeron g4900 or i3 8100 to post and see if its a bios update I need and/or maybe processor failure too?

Do a search on google for ami beep codes and you’ll see 5 beeps mean processor failure.
2021/05/23 23:42:31
Limeay
Sajin
Limeay
Sajin

Do a search on google for ami beep codes and you’ll see 5 beeps mean processor failure.

I saw your reply to another guy and had a link to a computerbeep site which gives info on what it means. Still not sure whether a bios update would give 5 beeps?

Not sure then. I swore this guy sold me a used i7 9700k on ebay. Doubt he would sell it broken. Anyways... the 2 things I can think of is either bios needs updating and evga never updated a board that they sold in 2021 or maybe processor failure. Both maybe?

Thinking about just purchasing a 8th gen cpu and seeing the bios version. Hopefully its out of date and this is all it needs either gonna have to try for an rma on cpu.
2021/05/23 23:59:11
Sajin
Definitely try the 8th gen cpu first to see if updating the bios will help before rma'ing the cpu.
2021/05/24 00:09:59
Limeay
Sajin
Definitely try the 8th gen cpu first to see if updating the bios will help before rma'ing the cpu.

Some say it can be the RAM too. I remember my post office threw the ram next to my trash can. Don't know why the F they would throw it there rather than leave it at my doorstep instead... you can't place the package next to trashcan without throwing it and im not sure there was no padding for RAM. Maybe thats the problem... -_-

If cpu isn't defective, then bios requires updating if that isn't the problem its the RAM...
2021/05/24 12:35:45
snake_solid
Your Z370 Micro is fully capable to support the 9700K cpu with bios 1.08 if any case it isn't broken of course...

Attached Image(s)

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account