2021/02/13 22:23:12
buttabean
Sorry for the unfocused backplate pick. I wasn't aware it was blurry.

2021/02/13 22:34:21
buttabean

idle temp

mining for 10 minutes

Heaven benchmark cranked to max. x1 stock setting with power limit set to 119%

2021/02/13 23:13:03
buttabean
There were a few things that made this installation unnecessarily difficult. 

1) The instructions are garbage because the instructions that came with the waterblock were just generic instructions for any card. I looked on barrow's website and they have dedicated instructions but are still not good. I found a few helpful things like thermal pad placement. Doesn't show replacing any thermal pads onto the back plate.

2)The instructions were unclear which screws to use. I ended up using spring screws with the clear washers only where the waterblock attaches to the board. I believe there were 9 in total but i'm not 100% positive.

3)If you look at the picture above, it shows thin blue strips that they say NEED to be cut to size. They do not supply you with the narrow strips to cut so you would have to cut the wide blue strips to fit a small strip. I left the stock thin evga pads in instead but used the full size blue where indicated. I didn't want to deal with attempting to cut thin long strips and the evga thermal pads seemed to be super soft high quality. 

4)The backplate - I left the backplate thermal pads in tack instead of replacing them. If i replaced them with the supplied blue pads, they might have worked but i didn't want to chance it. As a side effect due to using the original pads, the black spacers are not big enough to allow the corners of the back plate to be tightened down a lot. I'm not entirely sure using the blue strips would rectify this issue. If you tighten the corners down, the middle of the backplate will bow and the thermal pads will not make contact correctly with the memory. You have to be extra careful when tightening the corners down and not tightening them too much.

After all that is said and done I used a ek water leak tester and left it for 40 minutes. No leaks so that's good. 

looking at the mem temps, I'm surprised that there's a decent temp difference between the memory and the gpu. gpu2 is showing similar temps to the memory which makes me wonder if it's due to the supplied thermal pads. I haven't researched what others are reporting with other waterblocks so idk if this is normal or not. Overall I see a 10c drop in mem temps over the stock ftw3 ultra cooler set to 90% fan speed.

If I were to do this again, I probably wouldn't buy this kit UNLESS I desperately wanted to keep the factory back plate which I wanted to do. I wish I had the patience to have waited for the heatkiller.   

2021/02/14 00:55:13
5E39B83C83B8476
Looks great
2021/02/14 11:19:30
buttabean

Ran Port Royal for 20 minutes to get a heat soak temps with a OC of +500 mem +120 gpu and 119% power limit.
2021/02/14 16:08:54
Razgriz2006
Buttabean, Glad you got it working. I too ended up just using the stock blue pads. Part of the reason I had so much trouble was trying to use good ones.

You mentioned wishing you had waited for the heatkiller, would you tear your block off for a heatkiller or EK?

My temps are pretty comparable to yours and I am not super impressed with the performance of the block. I am envious of EK's full copper/nickle back with 1mm thermal pads connecting to the back Vram.

Attached Image(s)

2021/02/14 22:39:46
buttabean
I'd rather not tear down the card again. The temps seem to be in line with my brothers corsair hydro-x waterblock on his founders 3090. I was trying to find memory temp reading on the ek block and Optimus but haven't seen anyone post anything on these forums. I did see someone posting in the active backplate mod and those temps were in the low 70's. I'm contemplating attaching a 120 fan to the backplate since the backplate has plenty of holes in it, it may help drop mem temps a few degrees more. I was actually going to attach a cpu waterblock i had laying around to the back plate but decided against doing it. Maybe i'll do that. 

I also have a flir infrared camera attachment but it's micro usb so i have to find my old phone so I can take a few pictures to see if there's any hot spots. 
2021/02/15 00:38:40
fps_noob
How's the overclocking performance with it? I'm currently waiting for an EK block for my 3080 ftw3, but it's not expected to ship until April...
2021/02/15 07:59:19
buttabean

fps_noob
How's the overclocking performance with it? I'm currently waiting for an EK block for my 3080 ftw3, but it's not expected to ship until April...

The last three pics were with a +120 gpu +500 mem and power limit set to 119% with port royal and a heat soak. I haven't really attempted to OC the card other than those adjustments.

If you want to get the EK and you're in the US, I would suggest setting up distillio and have it watch the "no stock" on performancepc website. I've seen them come in stock. 

I was told when I purchased the barrow that there was very large demand for it and that I ordered early before others so I got in the first batch before the chinese new year.( February 5th to 22nd) IDK how true that is but it took a few weeks from purchasing to shipping and arriving. I would factor that into your decision making and contact whomever you plan to buy it from beforehand to see if they actually have it in stock.
2021/02/15 21:17:50
buttabean
So I took the side off of my case and laid a 120mm fan onto the back plate. It dropped memory temps to 59-60C across the board. I could feel the warm air blowing off the backplate. I put the side back on the case and temps rose to 62-64C. I'm going to order some 80mm slim fans and see if i can use the screw holes in the backplate to attach them to the card. Also get some slim fans for the case to improve air flow where I couldn't fit regular size fans. 

I looked at the card with the infrared camera and the backplate was significantly cooler were the 120mm fan was compared to the left side where the fan couldn't fit.  So i'm thinking two 80 or 90mm fans would really improve cooling. Maybe buy some ARGB fans? I'll report back when i get the fans. 

Here's with the side panel on. 

Side off. you can see the left side of the card where the gpu and memory resides is much hotter than the board.

Here's the back plate. Surprisingly the pcb is nice and cool where the gpu is in the middle where it's green.

Here's a shot through the 120mm fan I placed on top of the backplate. Notice how much cooler it is...

I couldn't get the left side of the card with the fan as you can see it's significantly hotter. 

Probably get away with just running one fan on the left. 

I think i'll order a cheap 80mm and 92mm to see if they fit and go from there.

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account