2021/02/10 21:12:11
Dabadger84
anchang233
Dabadger84
So apparently backside vRAM thermal pads are supposed to be 2mm... I'm going to order 1mm (for the backside of the GPU die, I think that will be the right size), 2mm & 3mm, with a little 1.5mm as well just in case.
That's more than I planned on spending on the thermal pads, but at least I'll have a little bit of everything in case I need it.

Which ones are the really good ones? Thermal grizzly is super expensive and I don't know the other brands very well.

I think Fujipoly is the "best" brand, I'm just buying some regular-grade ones that are rated at 6W/mK - I'm just trying to get SOME heat transference from the backside VRM & die areas to the backplate (and then to the heatsinks), not looking to spend a $100+ on thermal pads :-D $55 is bad enough - but mine is only that much because I'm buyin' 4 different kinds, and 3 of the 4 are 200mm x 200mm sheets so they're quite big, way more than I'll need (I think).
2021/02/10 21:31:44
Clovis559
Yo, I wish I had a more scientific way to measure these for you:

It's weird we think alike, but from what I seen, Fujipoly doesn't have a high quality pad at 2mm:

I actually tried stacking them, but the performance vs the Ziitek pads on the front wasn't.. mind blowing. Ziitek makes 11 W/ mk pads, and so the pads you have might be good, who knows.

I think next time I would just go with the brand that makes a 2mm. Fyi the pad behind the GPU is shorter.

Hope that helps
2021/02/10 22:30:14
Dabadger84
Clovis559

I actually tried stacking them, but the performance vs the Ziitek pads on the front wasn't.. mind blowing. Ziitek makes 11 W/ mk pads, and so the pads you have might be good, who knows.

I think next time I would just go with the brand that makes a 2mm. Fyi the pad behind the GPU is shorter.

Hope that helps

Yeah I figured the GPU-die specifically needs to be thinner cuz the stuff on the back is pretty thicc.

So the memory specifically is 2mm?  I'm guessing the memory chip themselves are like .5, meaning I might need 2.5 for the areas not having chips... but then the VRM areas do have the little other things on the back so maybe 2 would be okay?

I think I'm just gonna buy 1mm-2mm-3mm and go with that.  I don't want to get the backplate off until I have the pads to replace any I might mess up, so I'll just get some of each & hope that covers everything.

I'll look up the Ziitek ones, probably get some of that too.  I'd rather have too much than not enough.
2021/02/10 22:32:53
Clovis559
Dabadger84
Clovis559

Hope that helps

Yeah I figured the GPU-die specifically needs to be thinner cuz the stuff on the back is pretty thicc.

So the memory specifically is 2mm?  I'm guessing the memory chip themselves are like .5, meaning I might need 2.5 for the areas not having chips... but then the VRM areas do have the little other things on the back so maybe 2 would be okay?

I think I'm just gonna buy 1mm-2mm-3mm and go with that.  I don't want to get the backplate off until I have the pads to replace any I might mess up, so I'll just get some of each & hope that covers everything.

I'll look up the Ziitek ones, probably get some of that too.  I'd rather have too much than not enough.

I just eyeballed it! There's no way you could tell me the coolant temp of a Kingpin like they have for Corsair AIO's etc, I could set my Chiller to that and tell you what temps I get if you wanna get crazy with an AIO on the back side.
2021/02/10 22:41:46
Dabadger84
I don't think there's any way to get coolant temp no.

How thin did you go for the back of the GPU die?  I'm trying to determine if I should bother buying 1.5mm pads at all or just stick to 1-2-3.
2021/02/10 22:47:17
Dabadger84
Heck, do I even need 3?  I think maybe not O_o  Thinking about it:

I feel like those areas on the backside of the VRMs mostly have areas thicker than the vRAM chips... so I'm not seeing where 3mm would actually be necessarily needed.  Maybe on the one area where there's a VRM on the other side, in between the two memory rows on the left-bottom area.
Maybe I'll just order a smaller thing of the 3mm just in case.

Edit: think I got a good smatterin' of pads figured out:

Hopefully that's not a waste lol
2021/02/10 23:23:18
Clovis559
Don't judge this picture! I'm fixing what you see coming up here, The plate currently sits about 2mm away from the memory because it's pushed out on the edges. I didn't cut the thermal pads right. Luckily I didn't because it looks like at the top I almost hit something.
That should leave the middle at 1mm , but instead I had to use 2mm of pads in the middle. 

But I don't like guessing. You know, if we keep getting crazy with stuff we'll need measurements. I bought one of these just now: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017KUC6XQ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A1JAAL829ACROK&psc=1
I can get us better measurements on Friday.

2021/02/10 23:39:15
EvgaUser2711201
Across the border ive been having a hard time finding quality thermal pads with a decent thermal conductivity.
~50x50 fuji for 50-70$ isnt happening.
1.2w ~ 2.0w conductivity is about all I can find on amazon. 
2021/02/11 00:52:59
Dabadger84
Clovis559
Don't judge this picture! I'm fixing what you see coming up here, The plate currently sits about 2mm away from the memory because it's pushed out on the edges. I didn't cut the thermal pads right. Luckily I didn't because it looks like at the top I almost hit something.
That should leave the middle at 1mm , but instead I had to use 2mm of pads in the middle. 

snip

But I don't like guessing. You know, if we keep getting crazy with stuff we'll need measurements. I bought one of these just now: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017KUC6XQ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A1JAAL829ACROK&psc=1

Wouldn't it be prudent to figure out what size you need in the other areas & just put pads everywhere under the coldplate to avoid any possibility of contacting something with the memory plate & shorting it out?  Like just doing 1mm everywhere else just to make sure shorting doesn't happen I mean. 
I'm really curious if I'm actually gonna need that 3mm for anywhere under there.  If not, I'll figure out a use for it :-D might redo some of the cooling areas on one of the two laptops I got goin' since they're back to "repairing trust factors" on CSGO accounts again.  
2021/02/11 00:59:06
Clovis559
Dabadger84
Clovis559

snip

Wouldn't it be prudent to figure out what size you need in the other areas & just put pads everywhere under the coldplate to avoid any possibility of contacting something with the memory plate & shorting it out?  Like just doing 1mm everywhere else just to make sure shorting doesn't happen I mean. 
I'm really curious if I'm actually gonna need that 3mm for anywhere under there.  If not, I'll figure out a use for it :-D might redo some of the cooling areas on one of the two laptops I got goin' since they're back to "repairing trust factors" on CSGO accounts again.  

That’s why I got the measuring tool, because right now I’m eyeballing it with a ruler. Hopefully I’ll be able to measure everything on the back, share, we can and go from there! Then design what ever craziness we’re going to design.

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account