2021/05/26 06:20:35
Mibix
So I added all the Thermalright Odyssey pads below the backplate on my XC3 Ultra and I got maybe 2C difference when mining, gaming has always been fine.  I have a huge Noctua NH-D15 on my 5600x above the card so there isn't much clearance.  I ordered some 5mm tall easycargo heatsinks that come with 3M 8810 Thermal Conductive Adhesive Tape pre-applied. It looks like the thermal conductivity of that tape is only .6W/mK though, I have this tape already  and is 3W/mK so I will be scraping the old off and putting this on.  @Dabadger84 have you tried changing your thermal tape?
2021/05/26 09:25:55
Dabadger84
I haven't been using much in the way of things that have thermal tape in a while.  What I do have thermal tape on is just containing the stuff that's sitting on Thermal Paste (so it can't move around) - the thermal taped heatsinks are less important because they're over VRM/power transfer components, which already don't run that hot.
2021/05/26 09:40:44
CptT95
My Mp5works Backplate cooler should be here Saturday 😎
2021/05/26 09:41:41
libranoelrose
CptT95
Can't see the pictures for some reason

I got a message from the system or a Moderator or something saying I can't post images because I have less than 5 post or something. They disappeared then showed back up and are gone again.

So I have no idea what is going on.

Here are my pics again.

https://i.imgur.com/SzIlC04.jpg" />

aaaaaaaaaaa

2021/05/26 09:47:03
kissTheApex
Cute kitties.
2021/05/26 10:01:14
libranoelrose
kissTheApex
Cute kitties.

Sammie on the left Goldie on the right.

That's from 2 years ago. They were the last two of three litters that I was able to get adopted.

A week before Katy's Mom was supposed to get fixed she was able to jump through my calves and was gone for three days.

I have to give her credit, she came back 3 days later after doing rails and getting railed.]

7 freaking kittens latter and they call me a hoarder.
2021/05/26 10:18:32
kissTheApex
🤣
2021/05/26 15:41:50
Mibix
Dabadger84
I haven't been using much in the way of things that have thermal tape in a while.  What I do have thermal tape on is just containing the stuff that's sitting on Thermal Paste (so it can't move around) - the thermal taped heatsinks are less important because they're over VRM/power transfer components, which already don't run that hot.

lol so where are you at now, having a hard time finding your current setup you have tried a lot of different ways?  You just have thermal paste smeared all over the back of your backplate and some heatsinks over the VRM parts on the backplate?  I have the Thermal Odyssey pads on everything on the back and I'm going to add a bunch of heatsinks on the ram with some 3W/mK tape, I haven't bothered with anything on the front since the sizes for pads and the thermal foam stuff makes it sound like I won't get very good results and I only have the stock air cooling. Any tips you can recommend?  Should I bother with the front?  Do you know a way to see individual ram temps on the EVGA XC3 Ultra?
2021/05/26 17:03:48
Dabadger84
Mibix
Dabadger84

lol so where are you at now, having a hard time finding your current setup you have tried a lot of different ways?  You just have thermal paste smeared all over the back of your backplate and some heatsinks over the VRM parts on the backplate?  I have the Thermal Odyssey pads on everything on the back and I'm going to add a bunch of heatsinks on the ram with some 3W/mK tape, I haven't bothered with anything on the front since the sizes for pads and the thermal foam stuff makes it sound like I won't get very good results and I only have the stock air cooling. Any tips you can recommend?  Should I bother with the front?  Do you know a way to see individual ram temps on the EVGA XC3 Ultra?

Thermal paste over the core area of the backplate (GPU core, VRAM chip areas, and the big VRM), thermal taped heatsinks on the other VRMs. 

I should've taken a picture while I had the fans out of the way when I was changing my backplate fan & taking my RAM out to take the plastic protective covers off.

It's pretty similar to this but some additional heatsink coverage:

Older picture but you can kinda see, other than a gap between where the paste-heatsinks end & the VRM-taped heatsink begins on the right, it's pretty much full coverage: 

That's of course from the 9900K/Z390 setup.

As far as I know the XC3 card don't have iCX sensors like the FTW3 ones do, so you can only see Memory Junction Temp right?  You can always assume your Mem1-3 would be lower than Junction, since that's supposedly the reading from which-ever memory chip is running the hottest (and that's supposed to be internal temperature), whereas from what I understand, the iCX Memory temps are sensors that are not inside, but rather immediately adjacent to, memory chips - maybe sandwiched in between them?  They don't really SHOW where they are exactly.

I'll try to remember next time I have it off & get some decent shots of the backplate cooling with the fan as out of the way as I can get it, but it's pretty much wedged in there between the GPU inlet tube & the VRM heatsink on the motherboard... RAM being in makes it hard to get the fan out of the way :-D
2021/05/26 17:14:40
Mibix
What case is that on the top? I wonder if a new case and EVGA Hybrid cooler would be worth it for the ram temps

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account