2021/02/10 01:31:15
Dabadger84
Yeeeeeap, that did it, redoing the arrangement a bit netted even better results:

So compared to the 2130MHz @ 1025mV & stock vRAM settings, the 2160MHz @ 1068mV & +1000MHz vRAM is now:
GPU2: -1.7C, Mem1 -11.6C, Mem2 -5.9C, Mem3 -3.2C, Mem Junct Temp -4C, PWR1 -2C, PWR2 -1.8C, PWR3 -4.3C, PWR4 -3.3C, PWR5 -4.5C

If I had to guess, PWR5 is the one I pointed out in the last photo of last post.
2021/02/10 09:03:17
osb40000
Holy crap... those memory temps are so low. I wish I had a kingpin.
2021/02/10 12:23:18
Dabadger84
osb40000
Holy crap... those memory temps are so low. I wish I had a kingpin.

You have to keep in mind my card is also in a good airflow environment with ambient that's controlled between 69-72F almost all the time too though.
But still, those temperature drops should translate to anyone's before & afters, regardless, so if you're hitting say 90C on your VRAM now, and you did the heatsinks on the backside in the right spots, you could drop even more than I did, because there's more heat to dissipate.
2021/02/10 12:27:11
TechJessica87
Dabadger84
I called in the backup lol:

3000RPM server fan REPORTING for duty - of course I'm not going to be running it at THAT speed, too noisy.  But that combined with the standoffs should improve air movement overall, this fan has those air-channeling thingies in it's face:

Edit to avoid triple posting:

Think I found the culprit/problem, if the VRM temp that went up is coming from this one, I had no heatsink over it, a problem which I fixed while re-arranging (from what I can tell, there are no thermal pads on the backside of the VRM between the PCB & the backplate, but I'm hoping in that particular one's case, due to it's proximity to the memory, there is some there... I am very tempted at this point to buy some thermal pads, take the backplate off, and put some between those areas & the backplate... I just wouldn't know what size to buy) :

This addition will probably get the post a temporary "approval pending", but I wanted to point that one out, because that's a Memory VRM/PWR stage, I believe, so it's important not to forget it.
I also realigned my heatsinks near the "top"/output side of the card, even though, again, there's no pads between the backplate & that area, I'm hoping it will still "do something".

If nothing else you learn alot with these little experiments!
2021/02/11 01:41:13
kikkoman123
i decided not to do the thermal pad across the entire pcb. i don’t know enough about electronics. 
2021/02/11 02:33:41
Lord Winchester
kikkoman123
i decided not to do the thermal pad across the entire pcb. i don’t know enough about electronics. 

As long as the thermal pads are not conductive and touch every heat generating part, you are golden. 

Still waiting for my waterblock to arrive. 
Going to order the Backplatecooler tonight. 

Sidenote:  mp5works.com only does credit card payment
2021/02/12 00:04:36
kikkoman123
Lord Winchester
kikkoman123

As long as the thermal pads are not conductive and touch every heat generating part, you are golden. 

i’m not concerned about the conductivity, I’m concerned about things on the pcb that weren’t meant to get 120f+. like I said I don’t know that much about Tronics
2021/02/12 01:04:56
Lord Winchester
kikkoman123
Lord Winchester
kikkoman123

i’m not concerned about the conductivity, I’m concerned about things on the pcb that weren’t meant to get 120f+. like I said I don’t know that much about Tronics

I don't think, you will get anywhere near that temperature, once you covered the Backside a thermal pad and a heatsink. Remember, this chips only get so hot, because they have a tiny surface and draw

"insert correct number" watts. 

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account