2022/01/03 09:54:11
jegreene
Intoxicus

Funny you mention this.

I was trying to work with them about the voltage curve issues such as too many points on the same voltage in a row.
Basically it comes down to a certain point it's on Nvidia and what they enforce.

I have personally definitely had OC issues where they curve screwed my OC by doing erratic things.

But when it comes to the 3090's New World helped expose what the actual issue is and it turned out to be a bad solder joint on a specific run of cards.

Is it possible that the Rev 1 3090 cards have this issue? 

I have been having consistent crashes to desktop in Dota 2. Similarly anytime I up the power draw on the card (in Precision) the cards crashes are more frequent. This are quite apparent in Dota 2 and happen in stress tests.

My crash is as simple as the game closes to desktop, no errror or anything. Same with 3DMark
2022/01/03 14:20:21
Intoxicus
jegreene
Intoxicus

Funny you mention this.

I was trying to work with them about the voltage curve issues such as too many points on the same voltage in a row.
Basically it comes down to a certain point it's on Nvidia and what they enforce.

I have personally definitely had OC issues where they curve screwed my OC by doing erratic things.

But when it comes to the 3090's New World helped expose what the actual issue is and it turned out to be a bad solder joint on a specific run of cards.

I have been having consistent crashes to desktop in Dota 2. Similarly anytime I up the power draw on the card (in Precision) the cards crashes are more frequent. This are quite apparent in Dota 2 and happen in stress tests.

My crash is as simple as the game closes to desktop, no errror or anything. Same with 3DMark

That could be a lot of different things. You'll have to troubleshoot it.

The issue people have with the 3090's I'm referring to results in bricked cards.

"EVGA
All of the cards were earlier production run cards manufactured in 2020. Under an X-ray analysis, they appear to have "poor workmanship" on soldering around the card's MOSFET circuits that powered the impacted cards."

https://www.techpowerup.c...bricked-rtx-3090-cards
2022/01/12 18:04:22
dpoverlord
jegreene
Intoxicus

Funny you mention this.

I wrote on a reddit forum my experience as I have been troubleshooting my issues for months. My 1st release card had 0 issues with games or playing ANYTHING at a +300 O/C. IT ONLY had issues with ANYTHING if I used any driver above 472.12

Due to this and the random crashes, EVGA sent me a new card as my first release 3090 FTW3 would randomly crash with ANY driver over 472.12.

Now with the new card I am getting temps 15C lower but random crashes in Every game if there is ANY OVERCLOCK, or in Games like Apex / Witcher randomly with the 497.29 drivers; where the previous card could get a +300 O/C on Air 0 issues with 472.12 (issues only on newer drivers).

It is really odd, my theory is that the new drivers Power cycle the 3000 series cards if a temperature hits a certain number. 

Debating on downgrading the drivers as APEX Legends and Witcher crash randomly now even with a 0 overclock.

At a loss. 
2022/01/21 11:54:28
jegreene
Seems like this issue mostly happens with older games/heavily optimized games.
2022/01/27 09:39:09
bambihunter
m1gu3l
1. Does it mean that there will still be problems?

2. I currently have the option of getting an EVGA 3080ti ftw3 for 1500€ or an MSi gaming trio z 3080 for 1200€. I can also get Asus Tuf 3080ti (1650€) strix (1750€), Asus strix 3080(1300€). What do you advise me to do?

1. It sounds like it.

I've been a long time long EVGA video card fan (first video card from them was a TNT2). But, in short succession I have a customer service issue, then a queue issue, and now bricked 3090FTW (like everyone else), I WILL be getting my next card from someone else. I have used Asus for my M/B's since the 486 days. I am going to give them a shot for my next video card. I think I will likely RMA my 3090 FTW again and then sell it once it returns unless it is a different revision. For me, I'd rather just wait for this issue to be corrected before getting yet another one of the same cards that will fail. 
2022/01/29 07:02:54
Intoxicus
Rewire92
Hey all,

I have had the unfortunate displeasure of dealing with 2 broken 3090 FTW3 Ultras, and upon the issue happening yet again with my 3rd card, I decided to do some deep trouble shooting.  Let me lay out the experience for you.

I enjoy playing older titles, as well as the newer AAA titles from time to time as well.  My first 3090 did great in demanding games, but was netting me a subpar overclock (+75 Core/+500 Mem), I played 100+ hours in Cyberpunk 2077 and I really had a great time.  However, I was getting black screen high fan spinning usage when playing less demanding titles such as League or Halo MCC.  I had to hard reset my computer to get the card to turn back on, and I did so over the next few weeks whenever I played those games, until one day, it wouldn't turn back on at all.  I had no lights on the card, and a red light over one of the PCIE power pin slots.

I RMAed.  The new 3090 came, and I was happy.  50 more hours of Cyberpunk, and no issues.  But in League....more crashing.   6 more black screens later, the 2nd card was dead.  Red light over a PCIE pin power slot, but the card still lit up.  Not sure why about that.

My 3rd card came yesterday.  And I knew right where to look.  The reason that doctors press until it hurts is to find out where the problem is, because patients sometimes lie. 

I launched League and without 3 minutes going by in game, black screen, high fans, no output, and the card was running at stock speeds.   I called up EVGA, and I had a nice long chat with a rep while I tried to reproduce the issue.  They told me the symptoms I was experiencing were "Over-Current Protections" kicking in, and also that my first RMA card had failed because of a power related issue.  They suggested I switch out my power supply (an EVGA 1200W P2) with the gold power supply I had before (EVGA 1300W G2).  I played a full 16 minutes of league while on the phone with them, and experienced no crashing, but a minute after we hung up, it black screened, and crashed again.

Now, I dabble in overclocking quite a bit.  I'm aware of how voltages can cause instability in cards, and how too much current breaks transistors and traces inside CPUs.  I'd never had this issue with GPUs before, because I would always just do mild overclocks.  

So I started using GPU-Z to watch my voltages while gaming on League.  What did I see while playing League?  Well, the card would *usually* be at 1800 Mhz, using 0.8680 V while I was in game, but occasionally, the voltage would spike along with the clock speed, all the way up to 2025Mhz and 1.0810 V.  Now, I like I said, I don't do much "hardcore" overclocking for my GPUs, but I have used MSI Afterburner for literally 10 years.  I've never seen a video card go over 1.050 Vs.  I looked up the max safe voltage for the 3090, and wasn't able to find it using google, but I had another solution that I knew would work.

So, I booted up Cyberpunk, since I knew I could game on that for hours on end without crashing.  Max Voltage I saw in that game?  1.050V.  Played fine for an hour.  Then I thought to myself, let's try overclocking?  So I set my power limit to 107%, with a mild OC of +75 Core and +750 Mem.   1.075 V when the game started, and 1.068 V while in game.  Ok....Let's crank the overclock.  +150 Core and +1500 Mem.  Played fine for another hour, still max voltage in game?  1.068 V.

I then had a thought.  What if the voltage curve in lower power states is messed up somehow?  I set MSI Afterburner to "Force Constant Voltage" and booted up a League custom game.   I was able to play the game for 35 minutes before the game crashed, so I knew I was on the right track.  There were less voltage spikes, and less core Mhz spikes as well.  But it still crashed?  Why?  Well, when it finally did crash, it had gone up to 1.081 V again.

https://prnt.sc/yla8ib

The fix?  Voltage curves.

https://prnt.sc/ylaaor

As you can see here, the normal voltage curve stops ramping only when the card gets up to a whopping 1.118 V on the core.  Well, I'm crashing at well below that at using only 150 watts and the core at 1.081V, and I know the card is stable using 450 Watts at 1.068V so what can I do to fix this?

https://prnt.sc/ylahyd

I set the core Mhz to plummet after 1.068 V, and since I'm not getting anywhere near those higher voltage numbers without a higher power limit BIOS, I don't need to worry about them.

The result?  I just streamed and watched a movie on my 5 monitors while playing a 2 hour custom game of League by myself.  I'm going to need more testing, but I believe I've fixed the problem.

EVGA needs to adjust their voltage curves for the standard BIOS, because I believe it's breaking Voltage limits in lower power states while still attempting to go to higher core clocks. Also, while my experience here is only anecdotal, it *has* fixed my League crashing problem, so I can only assume that the voltage curve *is* the issue.  The card attempts to go up to a voltage it shouldn't be at when the temperature is not low enough on the card to do so, breaking copper traces in the card with too much voltage at too high of a temperature.

While my experience here is a solitary thing, I would like to have some other people experiencing this issue chime in, and let me know if this fixes the issue.  Maybe I've fixed EVGA's RMA problem with these cards, an experience that I can only assume has reached a large dollar cost figure, with how many people I've seen having the same issues.

Good luck!

EDIT: While I fix my images.

EDIT 2: For those that don't feel like reading through the entire thread, the problem was fixed by limiting my voltage for OC to 1.062V and below, and having the card run at stock speeds at any voltage above 1.062 V.  Comfortably running at +120/+1250 for about 5 days with no crashes.  While you obviously shouldn't have to do this sort of workaround to prevent your card from dying, I can say with confidence this solves whatever issue is causing game crashes and constant RMAs.  Happy Gaming!

You should be able to do 1.1v safely.
If you can't do 1.1v without issue there's a problem with the power delivery components.

They also have learned that the cause of these issues was a poorly soldered mosfet that was missing QC checks.
Which explains a lot about how they keep sending RMA replacements that die the same way.
2022/01/31 06:27:33
lol133736
Do you have it undervolted or underclocked? can be this issue, or as said just wait for a bios update
2022/01/31 20:55:56
Squall_Rinoa86
arestavo
1.1V is what these GPUs are rated for. Whether or not the GPU will be able to hit that due to GPU boost's algorithm is a whole different story.

Edit - ran a quick Valley benchmark and got this for proof:

my FTW3 3080 does 1.0V.... no issues
2022/09/19 15:42:29
makatech
Hmmm, an interesting but scary thread.

What's the status right now for the "EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 24GB FTW3 ULTRA" card , this is still an issue with some older titles? It's not affecting all cards, "only" the early production series?

If the card is having this issue it's not possible to solve with a firmware update?

Undervolting the card seems like a good solution though? User @Rewire92 is succussfully running this card with an undervolt of 1.062V?  Together with an overclock of +120 Core/+1250 Memory.
Edit: I was wrong, @Rewire92 finally had to do a third RMA and then finally received a good card.

Is the article from techpowerup.com "EVGA Reveals that Bad Soldering Was the Culprit behind Bricked RTX 3090 Cards" the official explanation?

Is there a way to check if my "EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 24GB FTW3 ULTRA" is from the production series having these issues?
2022/09/19 19:10:16
ty_ger07
It was the Rev 0.1's cheaper components, not a soldering issue. If you have a Rev 1.0, you have a lot less to worry about.
The reason EVGA can't tell you which cards were affected by the supposed soldering problem is because it was a myth from the start. 'Any of the early 3090 FTW3s (Rev 0.1) cards could have a soldering issue.' Lol. Get real!
Rev 0.1 3090 FTW3 had 50 amp power stages and a not-so-great analog voltage controller. The Rev 1.0 was upgraded to 70 amp power stages and a digital voltage controller.

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account